John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 11:15 PM

How things change, I wonder how many kids were given a quick 5 minute lesson back in the 50's & 60's, not so much about the danger's of the machine, but about leaving marks on the greens because they already knew it was dangerous. :smilewink:

Had nothing to do with common sense either, because common sense was taught back then up into the late 70's / 80's.
We called it "Shop class" and everyone had a shop class,(even the real smart kids) :D and that my friends is why common sense is so rare now.
  • dogsoldier and twostep have said thanks

#17 Fabman OFFLINE  

Fabman

• Member No: 3229
  • 257 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Right on with shop class, should still be manditory
  • twostep said thank you

#18 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 06:23 AM

This mower is a safe as operating a tricycle tractor on hilly terrain and both will hurt you as quickly as picking up a push rotary mower to trim your hedges.

It all boils down to the operator paying attention and not putting body parts in harms way.

Edited by GTTinkerer, August 09, 2012 - 06:38 AM.

#19 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 06:30 AM

I must say,I've never seen one quite like that.

#20 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 03:57 PM

lucky.jpg lucky here thinks it looks absolutely safe and is no problem at all :laughingteeth:

#21 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 04:27 PM

Safe?....I was cutting grass with this in 1962 at 10 years old....Note the guards, or lack of them.....The safety of it never came up back then, I was just told to keep my feet on the tractor.

Posted Image

#22 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:27 PM

We called it "Shop class"We called it "Shop class"...

"Shop Class" in school today is how to buy Tommy Hilfiger jeans and electronics off the internet.:D
  • motobreeder said thank you

#23 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 06:05 AM

Yeah, we learned to drive on a Cockshutt 30 with a live PTO as soon as we could push the clutch. You had to climb over that spinning, unguarded PTO to get on or off the tractor, and you didn't want to be shutting the tractor off every time because it would kill the battery.

"Safe" is in the training as well as the machine. We all reached voting age with all our parts intact.

#24 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 06:47 AM

would love to have something like that.

#25 WNYTractorTinkerer ONLINE  

WNYTractorTinkerer

Tinker Master

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10789
  • 8,307 Thanks
  • 4,660 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 07:42 AM

Boy, that thing takes me back to '54 when I was running a Gravely with a front reel and 2 "wings" + armstrong sulky on an estate. I think 14 year old kids were smarter back then. One footnote... I got the job on the estate when my buddy got the levers crossed up and ran a similar Gravely into the pool with only the single reel (a less smart 14 year old! :D). Two weeks later the Gravely was good as new and I had a new job.

Those reels were made to mow every other day on anything less than "perfect" lawn. They would roll down plantain and dandelion stems rather than cut them off and they popped back up soon after. Also sharpening reels and adjusting bed knives properly wasn't for an "average owner".

OK HH- Showin our age there!! :smilewink:

I agee it's got to be quite a chore to sharpen those blades!! :confuse: :firejumper:

#26 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 09:13 AM

I started mowing when I was 8 I believe and all dad did was show me how to operate it and told me what would happen if I scratched the mower. He didn't care if I hurt myself, he knew I was smarter than that. Heck, I was driving a real tractor before that. I've sharpened lots of reels for the Amish and guys who had one.

#27 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,481 Thanks
  • 4,633 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 09:34 AM

There were lots of things used "back in the day" that would be considered too dangerous to use today.

All of them were perfectly safe if folks engaged the two most effective safety devices ever made...the human brain and common sense.

However way too many folks didn't do that, and after a few "Hey y'all, hold ma beer an' watch this!" incidents, followed by lawsuits, the manufactures were forced to TRY to make their products idiot proof. Problem is...as soon as they do that, God creates better idiots.

Ones like this bozo:

Edited by OldBuzzard, August 10, 2012 - 09:36 AM.

#28 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,742 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 10:38 AM

The best safety device ever invented was fitted between the ears of each and every human being. Unfortunately most of those devices have been overridden and switched off.

#29 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 12:28 PM

Your right on the money Old Buzzard in the law suit thing. When I worked in the Farmhand factory we built a Silage blower chopper for blowing silage into tower(harvestor type) silo. This thing has a 3 ft+ diameter 1" thick flywheel with hammers(for chopping baled hay) located around it's circumference. The housing had a pipe nipple welded on top to fit a garden hose to blow water into the silo.
Of course the sllage would ocassionally plug the nipple. Who would have imagined some fool sticking his finger into it to unplug it while it was running? A flywheel that size with chopper blades VS finger,No Contest!
After the company won the law suit, we had to weld 8" pipes on so it could not chop fingers.

In another case, the company won was a discharge auger on a grinder mixer. The elevation of the auger was controlled by a hand winch and cable(like a boat trailer winch) When the auger fell and injured an operator.
The winch was perfectly safe until the operator modified the latch on the winch.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 10, 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#30 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,200 Thanks
  • 5,216 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 05:09 PM

There were lots of things used "back in the day" that would be considered too dangerous to use today.

All of them were perfectly safe if folks engaged the two most effective safety devices ever made...the human brain and common sense.

However way too many folks didn't do that, and after a few "Hey y'all, hold ma beer an' watch this!" incidents, followed by lawsuits, the manufactures were forced to TRY to make their products idiot proof. Problem is...as soon as they do that, God creates better idiots.

Ones like this bozo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-bZMb620c

That guy is a nutcase I hope he dont have kids!.....