Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 11, 2012 - 11:06 PM

I did a ST16 a couple years back and had to reinforce the hinges, but it was still holding the last time I saw the tractor. I traded it and the new onwner is happy with it.I now have a GT18 also.

How did you reinforce the hinges??... that's one of the areas I have a problem with...

Utah Smitty

Edited by Utah Smitty, August 11, 2012 - 11:06 PM.

• tinbender7 said thank you

#17 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• Member No: 5171
  • 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:08 AM

How did you reinforce the hinges??... that's one of the areas I have a problem with...

Utah Smitty

I used a very backyard method I first ground and fiber glassed the hinge, then drilled a hole in the outside grille shell and counter sunk it so I could fiberglass over the bolt head to hide it and made a small L shaped bracket to go on the inside from the bolt I had put there and the hinge pin. The hinge pin went through the metal and the fiberglass hinge piece on the grille,the bolt could only be seen from underneath and I did both sides do it looked like it was made that way.
  • KennyP and Utah Smitty have said thanks

#18 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 09:40 AM

It may sound like a back yard method, but probably needed done to start with. Main thing now is to lube things so no binding occurs due to rust.

#19 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 12, 2012 - 01:50 PM

I used a very backyard method I first ground and fiber glassed the hinge, then drilled a hole in the outside grille shell and counter sunk it so I could fiberglass over the bolt head to hide it and made a small L shaped bracket to go on the inside from the bolt I had put there and the hinge pin. The hinge pin went through the metal and the fiberglass hinge piece on the grille,the bolt could only be seen from underneath and I did both sides do it looked like it was made that way.

I'll have to try that... my hinge point has a big notch in it from the PO opening the hood without a wire so it went all the way back and hit the hinge. I also have a couple cracks in the grill-- The PO (again!!) drilled two 1/2 holes in the grill and hood and mounted a 14" x 14" square box on it... for what purpose the Lord only knows... anyway... it definitely needs some help.

Steve

#20 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 12:47 AM

Latest update on the LGT 165 I had to put it in a shop to have it rewired and they found a few other things wrong, the thing that had me stumped is the amp guage had shorted and stopped all current from flowing. It runs and sounds great,but appently form setting for 15 years outside covered up the rings have stuck as it has blow by and pumping oil out very bad, I did drive it around the house a couple of times with no body or seat and it did drive nice. I am going to go ahead and paint it and park it at the show on Nov,

Edited by tinbender7, October 02, 2012 - 12:48 AM.

#21 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 04:18 AM

Sounds like it time for a rebuild on that engine. Not that hard to do!

#22 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:01 AM

Not sure if I want to try it myself, not going to do anything like that at least till after this upcoming show, may find someone there to do it for me.I have a lot more invested in this thing that I ever tought I would allready. Time to let it go till the cash flow catches up.

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 07:09 AM

I can understand the cash flow issue. Maybe you will meet someone willing to help you do it. Lot's cheaper doing it yourself! Have fun at the show!

#24 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 06:18 PM

Latest update on the LGT 165 I had to put it in a shop to have it rewired and they found a few other things wrong, the thing that had me stumped is the amp guage had shorted and stopped all current from flowing. It runs and sounds great,but appently form setting for 15 years outside covered up the rings have stuck as it has blow by and pumping oil out very bad, I did drive it around the house a couple of times with no body or seat and it did drive nice. I am going to go ahead and paint it and park it at the show on Nov,

You might try some Sea Foam or Marvel Mystery oil in your oil AND gas and see if the rings free up...

US

#25 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted October 02, 2012 - 09:55 PM

Thanks I will try that while I go about the show stuff and see what happens, it can't hurt it.I do not have the time of funds to tear the engine down before our first big show of the season.I will run it around somw,but will ride one of the other GT's at the show, I really get some seat time out there.

#26 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 10:49 AM

I need your opuion about my grille. Back in the 50's when I was just a kid my brother in law aways painted his grille accents and his wheels red, on all the tractors I have painted so for I have red accents in the grille. Here is the latest, what do you think? Also what can I use on the vynal seat to clean and soften it?

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5814.JPG
  • IMG_5816.JPG
  • IMG_5817.JPG
  • IMG_4029.JPG

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 09, 2012 - 04:34 PM

That grille looks great! Not sure for the seat. When waterbeds were popular, they had some good things for vinyl, hard to find now!

#28 tinbender7 OFFLINE  

tinbender7

FORDoholic

• 1,113 Thanks
  • 784 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 07:58 PM

I got the paint on both the LGT 165 and the 100 yesterday. Here are some pictures, I could not wait had to set every thing on there, noW to get it all bolted together and get the wheels painted and on there. The big show is in 3 weeks. I am like the little train I THINK I CAN, I THINK I CAN!!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_5882.JPG
  • IMG_5883.JPG
  • IMG_5887.JPG
  • IMG_5888.JPG
  • IMG_5889.JPG

#29 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted October 16, 2012 - 08:10 PM

I like the look of that grill.
Sets it right off.

Everything is looking great.
I hope you get it all done for the show.

#30 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,466 Thanks
  • 39,701 posts

Posted October 17, 2012 - 08:16 AM

Looks good! Good luck getting things ready!