• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Sam OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 06:14 PM

This is a project that i really enjoyed doing, so much so that im now looking for another. I must admit i dont usually do a nut and bolt restoration, usually just do a get it running and use it sort of thing but i thought this deserved a bit more time than i normally do. So we start with this

A Danarm (uk) Junior from i guess the late 40's / early 50's.
When i started in forestry it was already modernised, chainbrakes, centrifugal clutches etc were standard and i was often told by my older workmates how it used to be, with axes and manual cross-cut saws and how great it was when the bosses eventually bought motorised chainsaws, this would be one of those saws and i can safely say....it will be a right handfull to use!
Hardy men in those days for sure, this thing is heavy and i can just imagine how it was using one of these all day, but saying that, would it seem like a blessing to have one when you were used to manual cross cut, axes etc? probably...
So here it is now.

Unfortunately the old rusty chain broke when i was trying to free it so i need to mend it or get a replacement, pity as i really wanted to go cut up a few logs with it just to see how she compares to the more modern saws that i am used to, and of course while the engine was on the bench it ran great, but when the saw was all put together it doesn't...typical, there is a fault in the carb and she's getting too much juice but apart from that im happy with the result, i now need to paint more to practice as every time i look at it i find more imperfections, but then this was never meant to be perfect..just cleaned up a bit.

Edited by Texas Deere and Horse, July 09, 2011 - 05:27 PM.

#2 Bill56 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 60
  • 839 Thanks
  • 2,179 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 07:49 PM

That's a real monster of a chainsaw! Like you said... couldn't imagine running it all day. Your restoration looks great to me. Thanks for sharing the picture.

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,485 Thanks
  • 17,099 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 08:33 PM

Awesome restoration!

They sure dont make them like that anymore.
Looks like it's a monster to hang on to when your cutting. It was definietly better that cutting manually though.

#4 dstaggs OFFLINE  

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 552 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted July 18, 2010 - 09:20 PM

Good job sure proud of my O31AV I tossed it several years ago,(under the bench) But had to redo it 4 years ago.

#5 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 04:31 AM

Man ,that's old looking,I like it.

#6 Sam OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 255
  • 71 Thanks
  • 172 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 03:46 PM

Thanks for the comments, she now runs ok...very loud, as with many old machines there seems to be a knack of starting them, with no reasoning behind it they just like to be started in a certain way, a sort of starting procedure that if you dont do the way it likes, it wont start, im sure we all have machines like that.
I was a bit pissed about breaking the chain as i think it will prove to be quite hard to find another but if the chain was so weak as to break just with me bending it, im happy it did it then and not when i was using it as i see no chain catcher on it, so who knows where it would have ended up. The other thing i noted was the lack of any anti-vib rubbers, i suppose in those days the connection to machinery and vibration white finger hadn't been made? even holding it while testing i could feel very strong vibrations.

#7 Rick OFFLINE  

• Member No: 344
  • 15 Thanks
  • 168 posts

Posted July 19, 2010 - 07:57 PM

That is one SWEET saw great job.