Tiller Vibrations

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 poncho455 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9039
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 08:44 PM

bad bad.........bad vibrations. feels like i am stuck in a beach boys song, my tiller seems to vibrate an extra ordinary amount,i have never used another one so I am not sure if this is normal or if maybe my drive shaft lost a weight, or bent. so how much should a tiller vibrate when running?

#2 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 08:46 PM

the rear bearing or u joint is junk mine just let got if you need to use it bad just run above idle and the tillers DO NOT vibrate when running

Edited by 8tyman8, August 06, 2012 - 08:47 PM.

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,244 Thanks
  • 29,698 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 08:47 PM

My tiller has no vibes at all. I doubt the shaft lost balance, but a bent/sloppy shaft can cause vibes. But a bad bearing almost anywhere in the system could cause a bad vibe.

• Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Mine run pretty smooth, unless I'm tilling hard ground.

If its vibrating with no load, I'm thinking bad u joint or joints.

#5 Nato77 OFFLINE  

Old Iron Junky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9422
  • 1,635 Thanks
  • 1,325 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 12:30 AM

Mine did the same thing when I first got mine. I idled the tractor and engauged the pto ( make sure you are clear of the tiller and pto) and watched to see if the drive shaft wobbled, sure enough it had slight bend in it. Put a different shaft on no vibrations. If you got oil leaking out the seal on the input shaft of the tiller I'd start by replacing the bearings.

#6 poncho455 OFFLINE  

• Member No: 9039
  • 3 Thanks
  • 11 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 02:24 PM

Thanks for the reply's every one. I went out and inspected it after posting last night, seems that the front pto yoke is wiped out, the splines are about half the size they originally were and had alot of play. turned the drive shaft slowly by hand and it seems straight. The rear U-joint does have a slight bit of play, so will probably replace it while servicing the yoke. any body happen to know the number for the u-joint? thanks again for the help