Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 07:35 PM

Hello,

I came across a Wheel Horse C-160 for sale the other day that I really like. It has a running K341 in it, but I think that the motor is on it's way out. I have a rebuilt K341 that I purchased a couple of months ago that would work great for it.

I would like to know what you guys think of the Wheel Horse C160's? Also, the owner said that the hydrostatic transmission works good on flat land, but he said that it bogs down and squeels when you go up hills. Any ideas on what the problem might be?

If I buy it, I think that I would do a full restoration on it as it does need to be restored.

Thanks,
Taylor

#2 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 08:52 PM

I think the c160 was the biggest tractor before you hit the d series. I know a sleve hitch is available and possibly a 3pth.

With the tractor moving on flat ground and giving trouble on the hills, the Hydro is going out. It is rebuildable and the parts prices arent too bad, as long as it isnt completly shot. The recent vid that i posted is tearing into the hydro motor off a C series tractor.

With a shot engine and questionable hydro, I would not be offering too much money. If I was buying it, I would be considering it a parts tractor during the haggling.
  • Wheel Horse Kid said thank you

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 08:53 PM

The C series in general are great machines. They are generally thought of as the predecessors of the 300 series that came after. As for the Hydro, I can't offer much help. I'm not a big fan of them, but it sounds like there could be some issues if it's squealing.

#4 jusjeepn OFFLINE  

jusjeepn

• Member No: 2392
  • 84 Thanks
  • 120 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Hydro's are about the most user friendly tractors out there. Sounds like that one is getting weak but they are easily rebuildable and parst are still readily available. Or you still find good parts units with complete hydro systems that are complete. Only takes about 45min to swap one out. The K341 is a workhorse in every machine it was used in. Most K341's around here go for $300 -$400. The puller's keep the prices up there. If the overall condition is fair and it's a running mowing tractor, I wouldn't be afraid to sink $250 into it because you can get that out of just the tired running engine
  • caseguy and Wheel Horse Kid have said thanks

#5 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

• GTt Junior
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 02:52 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys! I decided to pass on it for now. I thought it over and decided that I would like to get something that is already running and ready to go. I think I might try to get either a 416H or a 520H. I also think I am going to sell my 312-8. We have a lot of tight turns and trees in our yard and I am so sick of having to shift all the time. A hydro would be a lot easier for me. Also, I would love to have hydraulic lift, especially for the tilling.

#6 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 09:09 PM

With the tractor moving on flat ground and giving trouble on the hills, the Hydro is going out.

Not necessarily true. I thought the hydro on my old C160 was going out. Turns out the hub had a broken key way. It was tights enough to pull good on level ground but felt like it was going out on hills.

Attached Thumbnails

• 080208 (16).JPG
  • DSCF2001.JPG

#7 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

• GTt Junior
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Not necessarily true. I thought the hydro on my old C160 was going out. Turns out the hub had a broken key way. It was tights enough to pull good on level ground but felt like it was going out on hills.

Very interesting info! Thanks for sharing!

#8 BairleaFarm OFFLINE  

BairleaFarm

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8328
  • 1,201 Thanks
  • 1,725 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:40 AM

No problem. I sold this really great tractor for nothing thinking the hydro was bad.