UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 05:24 PM

A friend of mine called me up and told me that his steering column in his 90 GMC pickup had come apart. I have fixed dozens of these and can almost do it with my eyes closed. So this morning I got up with the roosters and poured down my hot back coffee then headed out to his house with my little tool box that I made up specifically for steering column repair. When I got there I nearly hit him with a 2x4. The gear shift was on the drivers side of the column. He had managed to twist it completely around while trying to pull it in his yard off the driveway. Why he didn't leave it on the drive I will never know. So after 5 hours, 2 trips to the parts house, one trip home to get another steering column out of the barn for parts ( it wasn't a complete one or I would have just swapped them out), one bent turn signal rod and a kinked shift rod I finally got it all back together and working. By this time I was hunched over like Quasimodo from crawling under the dash to fix things and under the truck to retrieve parts and tools that I kept dropping.

Then he asked if I could change his transmission filter. I nearly hit him with my truck. Just kidding. I told him to bring it up here where I have tools to work on it. He hasn't shown yet and now it is pouring rain.

Then I took the GoKart to the shop and they ordered me the right belt for it. I was hoping to be cruising around the yard tomorrow.

Anyhow. How was your Monday.

#2 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 06, 2012 - 05:42 PM

A friend of mine called me up and told me that his steering column in his 90 GMC pickup had come apart. I have fixed dozens of these and can almost do it with my eyes closed. So this morning I got up with the roosters and poured down my hot back coffee then headed out to his house with my little tool box that I made up specifically for steering column repair. When I got there I nearly hit him with a 2x4. The gear shift was on the drivers side of the column. He had managed to twist it completely around while trying to pull it in his yard off the driveway. Why he didn't leave it on the drive I will never know. So after 5 hours, 2 trips to the parts house, one trip home to get another steering column out of the barn for parts ( it wasn't a complete one or I would have just swapped them out), one bent turn signal rod and a kinked shift rod I finally got it all back together and working. By this time I was hunched over like Quasimodo from crawling under the dash to fix things and under the truck to retrieve parts and tools that I kept dropping.

Then he asked if I could change his transmission filter. I nearly hit him with my truck. Just kidding. I told him to bring it up here where I have tools to work on it. He hasn't shown yet and now it is pouring rain.

Then I took the GoKart to the shop and they ordered me the right belt for it. I was hoping to be cruising around the yard tomorrow.

Anyhow. How was your Monday.

At least you persevered. And I bet your Friend is happy.

#3 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Ah yes! The things we do for our friends! It's nice to know that if you had a problem in their realm of expertise that they'd do the same for you though! Glad that you got him fixed up!

#4 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:13 PM

I am going to make him tile my bathroom soon. That will teach him.

#5 poncho62 ONLINE  

poncho62
  • Member No: 42
  • 631 Thanks
  • 1,219 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:14 PM

Ah yes! The things we do for our friends! It's nice to know that if you had a problem in their realm of expertise that they'd do the same for you though! Glad that you got him fixed up!

Thats the trouble with my friends.....They dont seem to have ANY realm of expertise, unless you count being drunk or lazy....I need new friends....lol

#6 NJKen ONLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:19 PM

Thats the trouble with my friends.....They dont seem to have ANY realm of expertise, unless you count being drunk or lazy....I need new friends....lol

I'll double dog ditto that !!

Often favors can't get repaid on the same scale. It don't matter sometimes, but it does get old other times.

Today I went to a "Blow Out Tool Sale" at a local electrical contractors place.

Loaded up with good usable materials, pennies on the dollar

Edited by NJKen, August 06, 2012 - 06:20 PM.

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:32 PM

I don't have any friends, so I don't owe anyone anything, and I do everything myself!

#8 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,741 Thanks
  • 7,697 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:36 PM

I don't have any friends, so I don't owe anyone anything, and I do everything myself!

Sorry to hear. Maybe Santa will bring you some friends for Christmas if you are a good boy.

#9 tinner ONLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:49 PM

When someone asks me to help I usually ask, "Got any Bud Lite?" Know what you mean about sometimes not getting help in return. Then there's times when all you need is a hand for 10 or 15 minutes and you hate to call someone, especially when you live out in the boondocks like we do.

#10 Cat385B OFFLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,704 Thanks
  • 8,894 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 07:06 PM

I am going to make him tile my bathroom soon. That will teach him.

Let the wife critique his work while he does it. That'll learn him.
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#11 Oo-v-oO ONLINE  

Oo-v-oO

• Contributor
  • Member No: 5162
  • 340 Thanks
  • 448 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 07:22 PM

^ hahaha.... Posted Image

#12 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 08:32 PM

That's just mean, he couldn't stayed home and gotten that

#13 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 10:20 PM

Ah yes! The things we do for our friends!

Hey Now!!! :bigrofl: :poke: BTW Steve, that reminds me, I need a cast piece welded.

Wow, now that's just downright dirty pool. Funny tho.
Tell him your wife will closely watch him work & make "suggestions" for 5 hrs... the same time as his messing around cost you out of your day today.

#14 caseguy ONLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 11:26 AM

Hey Now!!! :bigrofl: :poke: BTW Steve, that reminds me, I need a cast piece welded...

You know where I live. What time will you be allowed to come over :bigrofl:
Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 11:35 AM

Good to hear of folks helping others.. For so many its a one way street and that sucks..

allowed to come over :bigrofl:

ouch...

its ten here i mowed the lawn already.. doc appointment and dog vet appointment today. stopping off for hot wings with a bud while in town.. get home and work on the railing if its not raining again or still...