• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 03:50 PM

The '75 originally had black wheels, when my dad restored it he painted them white. Anytime he painted wheels, anything other the white was just not ok! Not sure why, but everything had to have white wheels if they ever got painted.

Now, the wheels are in pretty bad shape, paint wise. The 8-16 tires are actually on 5 inch wide wheels, which are to narrow. They came with 6 inch wide wheels but a few years ago the AGs got swapped for truck tires with chains for winter use. Instead of swapping wheels again in springtime, the AGs were mounted onto the 5 inch wide wheels. The 5 inch wide wheels were from my Tiger, since it now has 12 inch wheels for pulling the 16 inch wheels were not being used. That is why there is yellow under the white.
Posted Image

The front wheels are worse on the inside then they are on the outside. This is the inside.
Posted Image

The outsides are not as bad as the insides. The wheel weights are IH weights and have been painted a few different times. You can see that they are also in pretty bad shape.
Posted Image

I have a set of 16 inch weights that I think are David Bradley. Those have also been painted more then a few times. Lol! They will be mounted on the back. They are not very heavy, only 35 pounds each, but they are better then no weights at all!
Posted Image

I broke down the 6 inch wide original wheels that had my winter truck tires on them. They are in the E-tank and I will take them out in a few days for paint.

The wheels will be painted black again and the weights will be orange. While I am at it, I am going to paint the front weights for the '71 orange so they are not yellow. Lol.

#2 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,667 Thanks
  • 6,486 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 04:13 PM

I like the off-white wheels for the Later Plastic Kings. I once had PK painted yellow and RED wheels. Guess it's in my Avatar, forgot! Had the outer wheel painted silver just like big tractors. Think I like orange wheels or something else, rather than just black. Black is the orig color on most tho. I blast all mine clean, no tank to soak here.

#3 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,521 Thanks
  • 39,741 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 04:15 PM

Sounds like you have a plan lined out, Ryan! the wheels should look nice when you get done.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 04:01 PM

At first, I had both 16 inch rear wheels in my E-tank, that was way to much for it to handle and after 3 days there was virtually no difference! I took one out, and left the other in. That made it work extremely well! That wheel is out and I painted it today and it is drying now. The other wheel is in there and should be done tomorrow, then I can paint that one.

I took off the front wheels today and started sandblasting them. I got almost done with one side of one wheel and the compressor ran out of gas. I put some in it and then the pull rope snapped! Now, between the broken pull rope and the other with a spark issue I don't have a compressor to run the sandblaster! :wallbanging: I am going to have to figure something out fast because I need a compressor!

I did take off the front weights on the '71 the day before starting this thread, and I finally got them painted up today. They are still soft, but because of my impatience... they went on anyway. I got them on without making any big marks. Besides, I did not do much prepping on them anyway so any marks I made will blend right in!

Posted Image

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 04:48 PM

The wheel weights look good Ryan. Now you'll have to paint the whole tractor to match!

#6 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:48 AM

The wheel weights look good Ryan. Now you'll have to paint the whole tractor to match!

Thanks Brian! When I put them on and stood back, that is exactly what I thought! :laughingteeth:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#7 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 10:00 AM

I see you were having one of my days yesterday Ryan. Don't you just love the domino effect, I can't get this done because of this and I can't fix this because this broke etc. Hopefully today is a better day for ya.

The wheels look good in the pic but I think Brian has got you some more work. :)

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 10:02 AM

Thanks Brian! When I put them on and stood back, that is exactly what I thought! :laughingteeth:

Time for a restoration? That's a big job but the best way to get a "That looks like new" paint job.

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 11:07 AM

I see you were having one of my days yesterday Ryan. Don't you just love the domino effect, I can't get this done because of this and I can't fix this because this broke etc. Hopefully today is a better day for ya.

The wheels look good in the pic but I think Brian has got you some more work. :)

Does not look like it. I started out by taking the other wheel out of the e-tank and I was going to paint it, but it started to rain! It stopped now and I hope I have enough time to get some paint on it.

Time for a restoration? That's a big job but the best way to get a "That looks like new" paint job.

If I could handle having that tractor down for that long, I would restore it in a heartbeat! But, right now, I don't think I would be able to handle having EITHER of the PKs down for that long!

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 11:42 AM

From inside, it looks like it stopped raining. But, really it is still drizzling. I don't think I am going to get a big enough window today to paint that wheel. So I put down some cardboard in the garage and started painting it in there.

I also took off the recoil starter on the compressor, now to look for some rope.

#11 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 01:12 PM

I found some rope and rewound the recoil, put it on and it seems to work fine. I am going to put it on now and give it a shot!

#12 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 01:17 PM

Good luck Ryan. Hope you get some done before anymore rain. Looks good on the front wheel.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 01:34 PM

I finished painting that wheel yesterday and I took the tires off of the tractor and now I can't get the beads broken. I have 3 ways to break the beads. A duckbill hammer, a slam rod thing, and one of those manual bead breakers. None of them are working. Reason is, since they are on skinny wheels they are already squished together, now I have to squish them even more to break the bead. I have tried all of the conventional methods, and these tires are kicking my butt!

Also, the compressor is working again.

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 11:50 AM

I got the tires off, just took some thinking to break the beads. I got them on the wider wheels and they fit much better on these wheels! It is probably the worst paint job I have ever seen but it is going on a work tractor, so as long as they are protected it is ok.
Posted Image

I put them on the tractor, I put them on facing outward so I will have room between the fenders for a set of tire chains.

#15 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 08:09 PM

I got the front wheels all cleaned and painted up.
Posted Image

I still have to take out the grill and paint that black like it should be.
Posted Image

Since it has been sitting for the last two weeks, I was expecting mice in the engine... NOPE! I was so glad, and it started right up just like it would if I already had it warmed up, just like always.

It looks like a completely different tractor! And one I get all the weights on it will look even more different!