• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 kwfiggatt OFFLINE  

kwfiggatt

• Member No: 4448
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 11:30 AM

My G4200H started making the "death rattle" when the deck is engaged, which I've narrowed down to the drive hub and shaft splined fit being worn out on the bottom PTO shaft There's lots of play between the hub and shaft. This is the bottom shaft that is belted to the engine and goes through the frame, where the driveshaft to the deck hooks on to a rear splined portion.

I had it almost apart last weekend, trying to determine if the bearings were good, which I think they are, as there isn't any looseness in the bearings. I removed the lower pulleys, the splined hub, a couple of snap rings, and removed the 4 bolts holding the bearing retainer to the frame.

My problem is that I couldn't get the shaft out after taking everything obvious loose and tapping the shaft a bit. Anybody been there, done that and have any tips, know where the hidden snap ring is, etc?

The last time I got enthusastic about using the BFH (big hammer) I found the snap ring that I'd left in place after I had broken the snap ring groove off the mower deck gear box. Doh! I'm trying to avoid that when I replace the shaft.

Thanks for the help!

Kevin

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Not had to touch mine, so I have no idea. I did upload the parts manual (link below) for the G4200 though, so it should give you a look at what is there.

http://gardentractor...h-parts-manual/

#3 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,468 Thanks
  • 5,004 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 09:11 PM

I guess I've not had to do anything with any of mine either. Wish I could be of more help. I would thnk the answer is on Daniels down load. Been so dry around here I almost forgot about the G4200. I do have a factory service manual for these so if you need more help drop me a line and I'll check on it tomorrow.

#4 kencombs OFFLINE  

kencombs

• Member No: 8398
  • 12 Thanks
  • 17 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:12 AM

Not had to touch mine, so I have no idea. I did upload the parts manual (link below) for the G4200 though, so it should give you a look at what is there.
http://gardentractor...d-parts-manual/

That looks to be the B4200 manual, lots different that the G
  • olcowhand said thank you

#5 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,556 Thanks
  • 29,818 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:36 AM

I goofed....here's the correct parts manual Chuck uploaded. http://gardentractor...h-parts-manual/
I corrected my original link.

#6 kwfiggatt OFFLINE  

kwfiggatt

• Member No: 4448
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 11:24 AM

Thanks for all of the replies and sorry about my late reply, as I was out of town all last week.

Anyway, I've looked at the parts manual but haven't tried tearing into it again, as I do not have the shaft, bearings and hub yet - should be a couple of more days. I'll let you guys know how it turns out and may even snap a few pics during R&R.

Thanks,

Kevin