• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Maybe you need to adjust the plow angle to throw the dirt up (if this makes sense) .

You have to travel pretty fast to "throw" the dirt up.. That would damage the spuds with the pressure...

#17 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,458 Thanks
  • 6,625 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 08:18 PM

Allan I was wondering how your potato digger worked ? I tried mine and at first thought it worked good but when I tilled the garden there were a lot of potatoes the weren't dug up that got ruined from tilling .Need to come up with something a little wider I think , Al

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0111.JPG

#18 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 08:56 PM

Al, I had some of the same. We went back thru and dug by hand and still ended up with a laundry basket of "damaged" work fine for crock pot with a little creative trimming. I think next year, I'm going to have it wider and make several passes.

I may have to rethink my design some more.

What we used to have was a ground driven digger and shaker. must've been 75 yrs old. Started out horse drawn.

It worked great until we got out of the produce end of things (except for our own use) and then, it's not much harder to just dig by hand. Dad sold it to a neighbor for nearly nothing about 5 yrs ago.

It had a steel rod "web" conveyor that kinda shook the dirt loose and it sifted down thru. The taters and the rocks landed in the soft dirt behind. The rods that you see on the plow type is designed to do kind of the same thing.
  • Alc said thank you

#19 Delmar OFFLINE  

Delmar
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5039
  • 2,323 Thanks
  • 2,416 posts

Posted October 13, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Anyone else want to see some video of it working? :anyone:

Vid.. yes vid.. We all love vids...

All of us in the peanut gallery want to see video of it working please!

Edited by JBBR, October 13, 2012 - 09:59 PM.

• KennyP said thank you

#20 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 14, 2012 - 07:25 AM

Sorry, no video. It was fine to open up the hills, but we still had to go thru and dig the sides by hand.

I havent gotten the clutch pedal back in it or I would put it on and just go down the garden also, I have the blower on and it's a "B" to put on. Just have to remember to get a Vid come spring.

#21 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 06:45 PM

Allan I was wondering how your potato digger worked ? I tried mine and at first thought it worked good but when I tilled the garden there were a lot of potatoes the weren't dug up that got ruined from tilling .Need to come up with something a little wider I think , Al

What if you where to lengthen your top link on the three point to make the plow less steep, attach rebar at the top for the spuds to ride up on and have most of the dirt fall off between the rebar thus letting the spuds land on top.

All of us in the peanut gallery want to see video of it working please!

hmm vids.. hard to do while operating equipment.. BUT vids are welcome..
  • Alc said thank you

#22 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:19 PM

Maybe you need to contact the 'guys down under' to see if they have a left hand plow (8"-10"). Then you could weld a right hand to it and have a big potato digger. LOL
  • Alc said thank you

#23 Guest_rat88_*

Guest_rat88_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:32 PM

I dont have any seat time diggin taters, but would a spring cultivator with widened diggers do better? The hard part would be getting lower than the spuds so they wont get damaged. I'm just trying to imagine an automated manual tater fork and cant see how it would work better. No one has picked corn by hand for a long time, just wondering how the big farmers do it. digging by hand would really drive up the price of taters at the store.

#24 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted October 23, 2012 - 07:45 PM

I dont have any seat time diggin taters, but would a spring cultivator with widened diggers do better? The hard part would be getting lower than the spuds so they wont get damaged. I'm just trying to imagine an automated manual tater fork and cant see how it would work better. No one has picked corn by hand for a long time, just wondering how the big farmers do it. digging by hand would really drive up the price of taters at the store.

This is like what we used while I was growing up. Pulled it with the TO35 Ferguson. Only reason to have someone on it was better traction for the ground drive.
Posted Image

This is a newer unit.
Posted Image
Bigger Better Faster More. :D
  • caseguy said thank you