• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 mjodrey OFFLINE  

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 05:36 AM

Will,that's gonna be a nice trailer when you get it finished.
  • IamSherwood said thank you

#17 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,378 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 06:17 AM

That is awesome, Will! Love your tailgate latch. Seems I've seen something similar posted somewhere. :bigrofl:
I like your chains for spreading too. Glad it is working for you.

Oh yeah, Kenny, I saw something similar posted here somewhere too. :smilewink:

I tried to steal your idea, but just couldn't make it work, due to the box overhang, from the pivot point.
The only downside, with our latches, and spreader chains, is that you can't lower the box, if the gate
is partially open. The gate pin will bend the latch. So, if you're spreading, and the gate opening gets
plugged up, you've got to deal with it, and get the gate closed, before you can lower the box fully.
Using one of these things.

#18 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,661 Thanks
  • 39,035 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 06:55 AM

That's just an issue that has to be dealt with as it happens. One thing you might do is move the chains to the side instead of under. Where they are, they can aid in 'clogging'. I plan to have mine at the sides of the gate. Damp material will clog it easier, too. Since my latches pivot, I don't think I have a bending issue. They unlatch as soon as the bed lifts, but the gate doesn't swing out until it lifts higher. Of course, it would swing out if the load shifted early. I don't have anything to spread, so I haven't tried that as yet.
When spreading, are you trying to raise the bed in increments as you move along? Is your cylinder moving real fast or slow?