Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Who Says Stihl Don't Make Log Splitters...?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • Member No: 9622
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 11:49 PM

Well, here's mine and some other assorted machinery and tools. When it gets down to the last big knotty pieces and you can't justify a log splitter when you buy your wood already split... you go old fashioned.

For those newer wood burner-wood splitter folks: I notch down through the knots lengthwise and then whack the saw cut with the splitting wedge. Works EVERY time and will split stuff a low HP splitters will choke on.

See picture (I hope!). :D

Attached Thumbnails

• Stihl Splitter.jpg

#2 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 11:51 PM

Gee, the pitcure turned out a bit small and fuzzy... Any suggestions for photo uploading enhancements will be appreciated!

#3 Bruce Dorsi ONLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,179 Thanks
  • 2,148 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 02:00 AM

Gee, the pitcure turned out a bit small and fuzzy... Any suggestions for photo uploading enhancements will be appreciated!

If you click the mouse button while the cursor is over the thumnail, the pic will open in a larger format for viewing.

It opened (enlarged) and looks clear on my screen!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 05:56 AM

What model Stihl is that Harold? It looks like a long bar on it. Is that a Johnny Bucket on your GX?

#5 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,687 Thanks
  • 7,693 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 06:40 AM

What is that orange thing sticking in the wood? It looks like a haying hook.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,332 Thanks
  • 28,642 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 07:53 AM

Nice photo, you ought to send it to Stihl for an ad.

I like your cutting table too. :)

#7 Blind Ref OFFLINE  

Blind Ref
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10762
  • 19 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 12:23 PM

HH looks great, those Stilh's will deliver the mail! A picture tell a lot, do you cringe when mowing on that slope? Also I

see where Mrs HH has given you some plants to dig and plant around the house. Better put that Stihl up

and get to it! :rofl2:

Edited by Blind Ref, August 05, 2012 - 12:26 PM.

#8 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 03:44 PM

OK, "Click to Enlarge"! Cool! Thanks Bruce!:D

What model Stihl is that Harold? It looks like a long bar on it. Is that a Johnny Bucket on your GX?

Bryan, the Stihl is a year 2000 026P with a 20" bar and yup it's a Johnny Bucket Jr. on the GX335. What a worksaver!

What is that orange thing sticking in the wood? It looks like a haying hook.

Sharp eyed LD, it's a form of haying hook made of flat steel and heavier. The calls 'em "pulp hooks" and along with a pickaroon is a real back saver doing wood. Bailey's online sells the hooks and also the replacement points. Not just handy for firewood stuff, moving lots of landscape ties is much easier with the hook (especially when wood is wet!).

Thanks MH81! Stihl should be paying me for all the nice things I've said about them too!:D Sadly.... The custom made cutting table became part of the wood pile this morning.:D

A picture tell a lot, do you cringe when mowing on that slope? Also I see where Mrs HH has given you some plants to dig and plant around the house. Better put that Stihl up and get to it!

Ref, I can mow that slope up and down or across... I am fearless when it comes to "One Cheek Over" operation!:D And when it comes to plants or anything outdoors "where the bugs are", Mrs. Hydro will be found punching buttons on the remote or reading. Them cannas are mine and grow every year in containers of my SuperHydro Compost just like my tomatoes. Up until a year or so ago I grew everything in yellow or white plastic cat litter pails but when I turned 70 something happened and my Redneckedness weakened, I got some store bought pots...

Gee, maybe the cat litter pails were why Wifey never wanted to look out the windows....? :D

#9 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 06:16 PM

Bryan, the Stihl is a year 2000 026P with a 20" bar

Nice choice in saws HH those 026's are quite a saw for their size. :thumbs:

#10 HydroHarold OFFLINE  

HydroHarold
  • 702 Thanks
  • 977 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 09:05 PM

"...those 026's are quite a saw for their size."

I'm reeeeaaallllyy happy with it! I'd have chosen a Stihl anyway (even though it's from the JD dealer 3 miles West), it was a question of which price range I wanted. Glad I went the pro saw route and the "P" model has a carb that compensates the mixture as the air cleaner gets dirty. Or so they say, mine gets cleaned out long before it would need to compensate.

The saw starts on the 2nd/3rd pull every single time warm weather or cold and has way more testiclores' than it needs for the 20" bar... even with an OEM lo-kick chain. I can imagine what it could do with creatively sharpened full chisel chain! It's just about finished it's work for a while... or until the big white pines in front of the house ice up again. (Small prayer, "Please, no ice storms this year!"):D