27 replies to this topic

#1 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10021
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 04:59 PM

I've had a sand blaster for awhile now, and it works great, but it makes a terrible mess. I don't really like to use it to blast little things, because of all the clean up afterwards. I went to Harbor Freight to day, and picked up a blasting cabinet. It was on sale for $119, and I had a 20% off coupon, so it was less than $100. :rocker2: I'm out of sand right now, so I'll pick some up Monday, and I did'nt have my camera with me, so the best I can do right now is a pic of the ad. Anyone else have one of these, and if so, do they work well?

Matt

Posted Image

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I have been wanting a cabinet for little stuff. I have been watching for a coupon for that cabinet actually! Sometimes those little booklets have some great deals in them! Make sure to let us know how it works out!

#3 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:08 PM

I've got the larger version on a stand, but basically the same except for size.
Posted Image

I love mine, but times I wish I had a huge one like Steve (Caseguy) built. If you wanted this for smaller items though, this will work just fine! I replaced my gun after a short time due to no HF close & I got a Clarke gun so I could pick up ceramic tips at TSC locally. The strip light in mine hazed over bad after a while, so I just put in a std 110 incadescent light bulb.

#4 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:17 PM

I have been wanting a cabinet for little stuff. I have been watching for a coupon for that cabinet actually! Sometimes those little booklets have some great deals in them! Make sure to let us know how it works out!

I'll let you know as soon as I try it out Ryan!

I've got the larger version on a stand, but basically the same except for size. I love mine, but times I wish I had a huge one like Steve (Caseguy) built. If you wanted this for smaller items though, this will work just fine! I replaced my gun after a short time due to no HF close & I got a Clarke gun so I could pick up ceramic tips at TSC locally. The strip light in mine hazed over bad after a while, so I just put in a std 110 incadescent light bulb.

I really wanted the larger one, but this was all my wallet would let me walk out the door with! :bigrofl:

Matt

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Matt, if you take pictures of it, could you please take a picture of the door with something of a standered size in it? I would like to know how big of items I could put in it. I just looked, and it is on sale locally for me also, I might use a 20% off like you did. Thanks!
  • bowtiebutler956 said thank you

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Will these work as a Soda blaster? I have the rig from the Soda Blaster Thread. It works great cleaning Carbs and parts that are dirty and corroded but it makes a big mess

#7 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,653 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:37 PM

Will these work as a Soda blaster? I have the rig from the Soda Blaster Thread. It works great cleaning Carbs and parts that are dirty and corroded but it makes a big mess

The problem with using sodas in these is the dust. About the only dust filter that won't stop up from the soda dust is a water trap system like I use. Otherwise the soda dust will have to be sent outside, and you'll still have the mess.

My water trap: http://gardentractor...trap#entry28111
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#8 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Yes it does make a mess all over me and the ground. This is why I was thinking about the blast cabinet but it looks like you then have another problem. Thanks Daniel.

#9 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 06:11 PM

Matt, if you take pictures of it, could you please take a picture of the door with something of a standered size in it? I would like to know how big of items I could put in it. I just looked, and it is on sale locally for me also, I might use a 20% off like you did. Thanks!

Ryan I'll get you some pics Monday. :thumbs:

Matt
  • Ryan313 said thank you

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:39 PM

Nice looking unit. I built one out of OSB and the gun tip keeps plugging up from the small chips off the wood. Need to line it with 20 something gauge steel sheets.

. The strip light in mine hazed over bad after a while, so I just put in a std 110 incadescent light bulb.

Shoot, you reminded me I was supposed to pick up a few T8 fluorescent fixtures and bulbs at HD when I was there today. 60 mile round trip drive.

Edited by GTTinkerer, August 04, 2012 - 08:43 PM.

#11 glgrumpy ONLINE  

glgrumpy

Getting Out!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 8360
  • 6,662 Thanks
  • 6,480 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 11:14 PM

I have TP Tools kit parts and plans to make mine. I used plywood, but did line with metal on back and side. Windows fogg over real quick. Do the plastin inside on those. I made mine on hinges to open easy to work on. I have safety glass 12 x 36 and line with a Plexiglass same size and then put good thicker window glazing sheet inside that yet. I used to just change the plexi, but gets expensive. I buy 36 x 36 and have them cut to three windows at a time. I change the plastic liner often, specially when sand gets to breaking down to dust, then gets messed up quicker and you CAN"T clean it off. Also use the expensive metal carbide? or whatever tip from TP. Lasts real long time. Have had guns and forward parts of guns wear out too. I'm using old big shop vac for the dust, but have to clean that filter all the time too, get's plugged real fast with fine dust. One of those vac machines with big barrels and bags would be nice addition, but expensive. "Presser" runs all the time too, takes lots of air in cabinets.

#12 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 04:57 PM

Well, I fially got around to taking some pics of my new blast cabinet. Sorry it took so long Ryan. I'm very pleased with how it works, but I figured out quick, these things don't like moisture in the air line. Once I switched it over to my paint gun air outlet with a water seperator it worked great. I'm going to have to install a light in the cabinet as well, as its kind of hard to see where your blasting without one. Ryan, I set a qt of oil in it as a point of reference. Its 16 in. high at the tall end, and 8 in. high at the short end. :thumbs:

Matt

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC06740.JPG
  • DSC06741.JPG
  • DSC06742.JPG

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 05:22 PM

Thanks Matt! I was actually just looking at the reviews on the harbor freight website. LOL! It seems like lighting is a common problem, and leaking. They said you had to put caulk around the seems and it was fine after that. One person said that theirs came with caulk on it, did yours? Although, there were many other negative comments I don't think it is bad if you get 60 bucks off between the coupon and the sale! LOL! I also watched the video and was surprised on how much room is actually in there!

How sturdy is the mesh bottom? It looks a little flimsy to me. If it is flimsy, I don't think it would be hard to either make another or make that one a little bit stronger.

What is the water separator? How much is it for one of them? I think I am going to send my brother to pick one up on his way home from work tomorrow.

#14 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 06:10 PM

Thanks Matt! I was actually just looking at the reviews on the harbor freight website. LOL! It seems like lighting is a common problem, and leaking. They said you had to put caulk around the seems and it was fine after that. One person said that theirs came with caulk on it, did yours? Although, there were many other negative comments I don't think it is bad if you get 60 bucks off between the coupon and the sale! LOL! I also watched the video and was surprised on how much room is actually in there!

How sturdy is the mesh bottom? It looks a little flimsy to me. If it is flimsy, I don't think it would be hard to either make another or make that one a little bit stronger.

What is the water separator? How much is it for one of them? I think I am going to send my brother to pick one up on his way home from work tomorrow.

I don't think mine has any caulk. It does have dust that comes out of it, but that doesn't bother me. I set it on a roll around dolly, so I can roll it out of the shop to use it. This small cabinet doesn't come with a light in it at all, si I'll be adding one. The mesh floor is flimsy, but it didn't have any problems with my little model N block. Over all, I don't think it can be beat for the price. :thumbs:

Matt

#15 bowtiebutler956 OFFLINE  

bowtiebutler956
  • Contributor
  • 659 Thanks
  • 796 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 06:14 PM

I almost forgot, a water seperator is a device that hooks into your air line, and pulls the water out of your air. Mine is a Binks brand, and I can't remember what I paid for it. I've had it for years, and I think it was around $100, but you can buy cheaper ones.

Matt