• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • Member No: 8613
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 01:42 PM

Im sure im not the only one this has happened to. In my travels i have came across a few gts left to rot in the weeds or hiding in the weeds on abandon property. How would i go about aquiring a gt from an abandoned lot? With out getting introuble? I was thinking of asking the neighbors around the house about contact info for the land owner. Whats your opinion or advice......

#2 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 02:15 PM

I think I would ask adjacent land owners first. If it was something really special and that didn't work then you could always take the time to go to the local court house and look up the tax records to find out who the owner is.

#3 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 02:31 PM

usally in my area people just up and move away and leave houses sit empty. i found a bigger cub gt so im gonna have to talk to the neighbors around the property to see if they might have a contact for the property

#4 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:50 PM

I bet you get.. His number was (587)603-6031 ohh wait he moved that probably wont work...

#5 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 10:28 PM

Good luck finding the actual "owner" of the house/property. I hope you get the tractor you are looking at.

The house next to me was fore-closed on several years ago. I know who lived there...she just moved a few blocks...she was on the Town council, and the yard was over-grown in weeds. The Town couldn't find out who actually owned the property! The Town wanted the "owner" to mow it, or the Town would mow it and send them a bill.....but who to send the bill to?

A bank usually won't want to admit to owning the property because they will be responsible for insurance and utilities!

#6 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 03:54 PM

Im hoping the neighbors around the house have a number for the property owner or there realitives. There is also one near by with a deck and a snow plow that im gonna check on when i see them home they havent used it since last fall im gussing they got a new mower

#7 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 05, 2012 - 04:37 PM

Im hoping the neighbors around the house have a number for the property owner or there realitives. There is also one near by with a deck and a snow plow that im gonna check on when i see them home they havent used it since last fall im gussing they got a new mower

Around here I go on line to the tax collectors web site and see who is paying the taxes. That will supply you with an address and a name. Easy to find a phone number after that. Good luck.

Edited by gravely-power, August 05, 2012 - 04:37 PM.

• backwoods said thank you

#8 backwoods OFFLINE  

backwoods
  • 2,060 Thanks
  • 2,434 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 10:54 AM

so i talked to the guy who owns the trailer park( jim ) across from the abandoned house and cub the owner is living with his dad as he is not allowed near the property and jim told me where the dad lives so i should talk to them about the cub

#9 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 02:47 PM

That's a good start! At least you're making some headway! Thanks for the update and let us know what he says when you get in touch!

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2

#10 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 03:00 PM

That sounds promising. I hope you get somewhere. Keep us posted.

#11 Tencubed ONLINE  

Tencubed
  • Member No: 10398
  • 22 Thanks
  • 26 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 06:42 PM

Thanks for taking the time and effort to find the owner of this "abandoned" property. Too many times I've seen posts on various forums about people "finding" some "abandoned" item on property that "no one owns". Fact is everything belongs to someone. We have a few places that are not used that came with land that was purchased. There have been many instances where buildings have been dismanteled or parts of them taken. Most times we are able to find out who took the material and take the necessary action. Same way with trees being cut for firewood and even fences being taken.

We may not be using the property right at that time but it's still not just sitting their waiting for somone to decide they want it. Ocassionally we sell an old building to a salvage outfit or individual as they are interested in the old beams and lumber. Same with the old equipment that is parked out of the way. It's not free to grab.

We are not alone in this problem. Our neighbors have had a lot of stuff taken over the years by folks that generally don't understand the ways of country people. Just because it's not in a building and locked up dosen't mean it has no value to us.

At the other end of this is the enless process of picking up garbage that has been dumped by people that feel it's fine to leave their trash on supposedly abandoned land.

Usually it's not a big problem to find the owner of property you are interested in. Taxes go on forever and the tax collector knows who to send the bill to. If they don't then it will be just a few years and you'll be able to buy the property at a tax auction.

Rant over, thanks for listening.

Mike

#12 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:27 PM

...by folks that generally don't understand the ways of country people...

Mike, Only 1 time I found it to have worked out "nice" with trespassers on our property.

I was going down to rake the lower field so we could bale tomorrow. As I was going down the hill I was just letting the tractor idle & clutch in, coasting. I noticed a car parked by the road, but didn't think much of it.

The field drive is one you can navigate pretty quick, so I more or less came in at "going down the hill" speed. Kinda surprised the young lady who was "sunning" herself by a windrow, just out of site of the road. She grabbed her stuff and lit out quick before I could get my pre-adolescent brain to tell my mouth to shut. Never saw anyone run so fast before wearing a blanket.
Bet she wished she hadn't put the headphones on... She might've heard me.

A Big "Thank You" to the inventor of the Walkman.
  • olcowhand, TUDOR, wvbuzzmaster and 2 others have said thanks

#13 IamSherwood ONLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:57 PM

Mike, Only 1 time I found it to have worked out "nice" with trespassers on our property.

I was going down to rake the lower field so we could bale tomorrow. As I was going down the hill I was just letting the tractor idle & clutch in, coasting. I noticed a car parked by the road, but didn't think much of it.

The field drive is one you can navigate pretty quick, so I more or less came in at "going down the hill" speed. Kinda surprised the young lady who was "sunning" herself by a windrow, just out of site of the road. She grabbed her stuff and lit out quick before I could get my pre-adolescent brain to tell my mouth to shut. Never saw anyone run so fast before wearing a blanket.
Bet she wished she hadn't put the headphones on... She might've heard me.

A Big "Thank You" to the inventor of the Walkman.

Peeping Alan. :dancingbanana:
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,317 Thanks
  • 28,635 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 08:13 PM

Peeping Alan. :dancingbanana:

Will, I was just old enough to know what they were called, but not old enough to know how to properly "Peep" at them...

#15 IamSherwood ONLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Oh, so this is not something new!!!
I thought it happened today.

Do you still stand up on the tractor, as you crest that hill, hoping to relive that special
moment of your youth?