• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • Member No: 9913
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 10:11 AM

How do i check the fluid on my hydro it is an early one also what type of oil should i put in it

#2 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:27 PM

You could have one of two styles of tractor there. On one style, which I think is the later one, if you lift up the tractor seat you will see a reservoir about the size of two Coke cans laid end to end. On that style, simply open the cap and make sure the fluid is at least 1/2 way up in the reservoir. On the other style, there is NO reservoir under the seat. For those styles, look below the foot rest, in front of the left wheel and you will see a short length of tubing, looks like it might be solid, that is bent into a hook shape. Loosen the nut that holds that "Hook" in place and then add fluid until it reaches the little notch in the bent tubing. For my unit, I used an oil pump that I think started life as an outboard gearcase filler. Let us know how you are coming.

#3 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 11:40 PM

What type of oil should i use?

#4 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 05:46 AM

I'll have to check and let you know.

#5 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 05:51 AM

I don't have my manual in front of me, but going by memory. ATF Dexron III

99% sure, but I'll check

#6 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 05:53 AM

Type A transmission fluid has been recommended in the past. I went back and checked my source. The hydro itself holds 3 quarts, if you have the separate resevoir, it holds 2 pints. The source quotes the manual when giving the information. I've never gotten my hands on a Massey 12 owner's manual to make sure. Here is the topic, look down and find member DH1's informative post.
http://gardentractor...luid#entry86836

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 08, 2012 - 06:00 AM.

#7 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 06:10 AM

Yes, manual calls for Type A.

This is from an oil info site.

"It used to be so simple. There was Type A or Type F. If your automatic transmission needed oil, you only had two to choose from. Many Fords used Type F transmission oil while Type A was used in everything else. Today, there are several types of oil specified for automatic transmissions. Using the wrong one can cause shifting problems or even damage your transmission. Here are the more common automotive transmission oils used today.
Dexron Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) is probably the most common oil found on the parts shelves today. It used to be called Type A transmission oil but as improvements were made to the oil, the name was changed to Dexron. Many types of Dexron oil have been used over the years. The original Dexron oil became Dexron II, which developed into Dexron IIE in the early 1990′s. Dexron IIE used extra additives that helped clean computer-controlled shift solenoids and pressure control solenoids inside the transmission. After only a short time, Dexron IIE became Dexron III, which is still the current Dexron designation."
  • MH81, ncb and HowardsMF155 have said thanks

#8 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:46 PM

Thank you for the info she was low on fluid and now works well in forward shes pretty weak in reverse... is that common?
  • HowardsMF155 said thank you

#9 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:50 PM

Also anyone know the weight of this machine

#10 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 06:56 PM

Also anyone know the weight of this machine

I'm sure that info is in the operators manual. If you haven't already downloaded it, it's in the manuals section.

#11 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:00 PM

I have tried a few times but the download is in giberish just a bunch of funky numbers and letters

#12 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:19 PM

I once weighed my 12 G before loading it and several other items on a small trailer. Bathroom scale read around 150 each wheel without the deck, so I'd say the tractor weighs close to 700 with the deck.
As for reverse, I know that the cam limits the travel of the actuating lever in reverse, so you won't see the same speed in reverse as in forward, but you should still get up pretty good speed.

Edited by HowardsMF155, August 13, 2012 - 07:19 PM.

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 07:21 PM

Thank you for the info she was low on fluid and now works well in forward shes pretty weak in reverse... is that common?

Thanks for letting us know. I've seen more than one thread simply end, and you wonder which of the solutions suggested worked.

#14 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,268 Thanks
  • 28,606 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 08:22 PM

On mine, the belt was slipping a little but only in reverse. Confused me, but that's what the problem was.

The piece that looks like a mini screen door closer, needed cleaned and then re lubed. I didn't take it apart, just hosed out everything I could with compressed air, brake cleaner, compressed air again and then some 10 wt oil. Made a big difference.

Both of my parts units have extra springs on that tensioner, so it must've been at least a semi common problem on some.

#15 massey12guy OFFLINE  

massey12guy
  • 4 Thanks
  • 28 posts

Posted August 13, 2012 - 11:56 PM

Another note my hydro had a dipstick behind the left tire i found it after the hot water pressure wash i could not find any tubing