• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,414 Thanks
  • 39,663 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 05:51 AM

Steve, we have had very good luck using this blade with treated lumber. Seems to last about 3X longer than normal blades.
Green Blade.jpeg
  • JDBrian said thank you

#17 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:10 AM

I have 2 drills an older Milwaukee and a Ridgid compact drill. The Milwaukee was given to me by a friend who had 2 newer models. I prefer the Milwaukee. It's not as strong as the Ridgid but the clutch and the chuck are better. The charger and batteries have been the weak point on the Ridgid and right now I am down to one battery again. The extended warranty on these things is needed IMO. If I was buying more battery tools I'd go with the red ones as everything I've seen or used by Milwaukee has been first rate. We don't have much Hitachi up here. They have a good reputation but don't seem to be able to hold a dealer for long for whatever reason.

Just got back from the building supply lumber yard with a load of 14ft deck boards for the porch and a few odds and ends. Man it's a hot day for us. The sun was beating on me while I was loading the trailer and the humidity is high . I was soaked by the time I got out of there. Can't imagine what those 100F + days must be like for you guys further west and south. Thank god for A/C I guess.

Good looking job Brian and you 're right, I've putting retaining wall and sod down for about 2 weeks in this heat and by noon, I'm headed for the AC

#18 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:27 AM

JD., you did a very nice job replacing the steps to the porch. I have all but given up on PT wood in my projects. It is worth the extra costs to go ahead and buy Cedar, it will out last anything else you can buy, except Redwood which is still my favorite.

Very nice job !! :thumbs:

I vote with you Brian . No more PT for me. I use Terminate to treat standard pine and have had no probs in 6 years of exposure. Anything that goes into the ground is treated the same with an oil topcoat.

The reason is that after reading the MSDS (Material Safety Data SHeet ) for all PT products, they are virtually the same-no food contact, no run-off to aquatic life, no burning the scrap and its hard on tools.
  • KennyP said thank you

#19 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 06:33 AM

Since it's been a pretty dry summer here most of the wood I got was not real soggy but still needed some drying time. I stacked it in my garage with spacers and let it sit for a week or so. It gets up close to 100F in there during a hot day so it dries things pretty fast. The posts ended up sitting outside under cover so they were still wet in the middle. Any of the 5/4 or 2X lumber seems pretty dry. I"m cutting most of this stuff with an old ELU 8" sliding mitre saw. I'm using a Frued 48 tooth mitre saw blade. For the posts I lug them inside and use a Makita 10" slider which will cut them clean through in 1 slice. I have dust collection on it as well. That PT dust is bad for you! I'm going to start on the railings today. It's a long weekend here for natal day!

#20 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 09:27 AM

I'm curious Brian, if the lumber twisted and cupped during drying ? Or remained pretty straight? Here, most whats available is 40% penetration and those that use it for fencing has a very high "unusable" rate once it dries. As for Cedar , my favorite is Eastern Red or aeromatic vs western red. Is it native up your way? It's great against critters/termites etc but it will eat up all but hot-dipped galvanized or plastic coated fasteners.

I'm with you on the Freud blades. I use them almost exclusively.

Edited by Toolpartzman, August 06, 2012 - 09:29 AM.

#21 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 10:28 AM

Wow, what a difference. I too have a lot I could be going, but with the high temp's and dew point,
I find the pool always needs more of my attention lately :thumbs:

#22 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 10:39 AM

Brian, that sure is an improvement over what was there. It looks great.

#23 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 03:26 PM

Brian,that looks great. :thumbs:

#24 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 06:42 AM

Oh, ok. Security lights sometimes look like webcams. Good to hear.

Over the years, I've noticed a huge difference in the quality of PT wood. Also, it varies geographicly.
We use to have a place in Fla. That was real PT wood you got down there. Hard as a rock, and lasted.
The stuff we get here in Ont. is a joke compared to that. There has been times, that it is so green still, that
you actually get splashed in the face, when you drive that 3 1/2" spike home. And then days later it cracks
and splits.

Keep up the good work on that entry.

I discovered a bit of a solution to the PT wood issues when I was building decks and fences. Buy a bunch of it in the fall when it's on sale and store it out of the sun for the winter. Not practical for most homeowners, of course, but it sure cuts down on the warranty calls when you build for a living.

#25 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 06:48 AM

Steve, we have had very good luck using this blade with treated lumber. Seems to last about 3X longer than normal blades.
Green Blade.jpeg

Yeah, blades designed for pressure treated lumber are worth the extra price. I use the Makita because I used to work there and get a discount, but the brand is less important than a blade designed for the lumber.