• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Mike G OFFLINE  

Mike G

• Member No: 8197
  • 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 06:31 AM

I'm having trouble figuring out what is wrong with the K341 in my Ford LGT165. It starts and runs great for 30 to 45 minutes then stumbles and almost stalls out, this only happens at full throtle. If I keep it at 2/3 it runs fine. I bought it early in the year and my son used it to mow, the problem seem to surface and get worse after he ran it out of gas. Here is what I've tryied so far:
Blew out fuel line and checked flow, new fuel filter, use high test gas, previous owner put a new Welbro carb on it, new coil, cleaned points & plug, thought it might be vacuum leak (smoothed out when sprayed with carb cleaner) replaced carb & spacer gaskets.
The motor runs strong with no noticable smoke or oil consumption. When it does stumble the carb does not feel hot. Our weather has been in the mid to high 90's and running with or without sides makes no difference.
What am I missing?

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 06:54 AM

It might have just a some amount of moisture going through. Hot days and cool nights will make moisture. Have you added any Seafoam/additives to the gas? Could be just a tiny bit lean, too! Where did you spray the carb cleaner? Did you check the carb mounting surface to see if it is flat?

#3 Guest_gravely-power_*

Guest_gravely-power_*
  • Guests
  • Member No: 0
  • 0 Thanks

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:27 AM

Make sure the fuel cap is ventilated.
Fuel lines deteriorate on the inside. You may have picked up a small piece of rubber and it is sitting on the bottom of the bowl.
Have you taken the float bowl off and checked?

#4 Mike G OFFLINE  

Mike G

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:25 AM

Haven't used Seafoam yet, i used Chemtool B-12 which works great in my bikes for cleaning things up and getting out water. Also adjusted carb during stumbling with no change. When i replaced the gaskets I cleaned and lightly scraped all the surfaces, also check the spacer for cracks. The fuel cap has a float indicator and is vented, fuel lines less than a year old. The bowl is clean with no signs of dirt or water. Also flushed out needle valve and checked float, all seem normal. I have not check compression yet, but not using any oil to speak of or smoking.

#5 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,455 Thanks
  • 39,686 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 09:36 AM

You might have a little piece of crud inside the fuel pump. too large to pass through, but it slows the flow at times. When it does this, check and see if the coil is getting hot just for grins and giggles.

#6 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 10:07 AM

Have you checked to see it there is anything in the tank which would cause the outlet to become blocked temporally? Does it do it every time you run it full?

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 10:24 AM

Aside from fuel problems, which you have a good handle on, I would also have a look at the ignition system. Check the points for wear/pitting and gap them. Points can be fussy and will work then stop because of some small change such as high temperatures. Also a flakey electrical connection at a safety switch or anywhere in the ignition circuit could cause problems.

#8 Alc OFFLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,452 Thanks
  • 6,622 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 11:03 AM

Mike , if I'm understanding you correctly it almost seems like a fuel issue if it smooths out when extra fuel ( carb cleaner ) is sprayed in carb. Do you have a see through inline fuel filter or clear fuel lines to see if it's not getting fuel to the carb ? I've done that on a few motors that thought it was a fuel problem , Al

Edited by Alc, August 04, 2012 - 11:04 AM.

#9 Mike G ONLINE  

Mike G

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Thanks for the ideas and help. I'm going to try new points and see if they help. I thought it might be a vacuum leak because it cleared up when i sprayed the connection between the carb and the block, but new gaskets didn't help. When it stumbles pulling the choke out has no effect on it. I'll post an update after the new points.

#10 Russ OFFLINE  

Russ

• Member No: 8191
  • 131 Thanks
  • 367 posts

Posted August 06, 2012 - 09:15 PM

It really don't sound like the points would make it run like that cause it would stumble all the time or miss out or flat out won't run if points are bad,,, But thats my say so,,lol,, Maybe you need to readjust the choke cable,, I had to do that on my 195 I have cause it come loose just enough to make it slip to make it stumble like you saying yours is doing,,,,

#11 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,705 Thanks
  • 8,559 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 11:04 AM

I thought it might be a vacuum leak because it cleared up when i sprayed the connection between the carb and the block, but new gaskets didn't help. When it stumbles pulling the choke out has no effect on it.

Mike does it still smooth out when you spray carb cleaner around the carb and intake? perhaps there is some warpage between the mating surfaces of the carb and manifold or a crack in either one.

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 02:36 PM

The fuel tank vent would have been my guess, but it sounds like your past that. What about float level. It sounds like the level of gas in the bowl could be low. Or the float could be set low enough to not allow a good flow of gas in. Setting a float can be hard to explain...

Start by dropping the bowl and you should only be able to raise the float to where it is level (without forcing). If it is level, try bending the tab to allow it to go a little above level... you can always set it back.

#13 Bmerf OFFLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted August 07, 2012 - 10:31 PM

I'm not familar with the K341, but does it have a fuel pump? May not be supplying enough fuel at WOT. Low fuel in tank = less NPSH (net positive suction head) Less pressure / less flow.

#14 Mike G OFFLINE  

Mike G

• 0 Thanks
  • 6 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 06:29 PM

Do the 165's was a fuel pump? I checked and mi.e does not have one. The previous owner replaced the carb and I don't know if this one needs a fuel pump. I have a closed side LGT 165 and the serial numbers on the motor and frame are painted over.

#15 CASENUT OFFLINE  

CASENUT

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1974
  • 501 Thanks
  • 865 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 10:08 PM

Ok, I saw this and was thinking something you may not have considered is predetonation. Based on when you wrote this. Have you tried a higher octane fuel? Just an Idea but what I am thinking is once the engine is getting hot and the time of year the fuels are highly 'combustible' which given the environmental temps, fuel temp, and engine temps...may be resolved by using a higher octane.

One other thing you may not have considered is the 'elbow on the side of the carb that comes from the fuel line to the tank may become 'somewhat' obstructed which would also give the symptom of starving...I just cleaned the 145's carb today and although it soaked in carb cleaner for a day, I still had to remove the elbow to see just how much 'crud' had accumulated at the elbow, once the elbow was off, and cleaned thoroughly, I had to remove the float and main jet to clean the inside of that out with a pin as well...yes there was a lot of accumulation in there and no amount of 'seafoam' or other carb cleaner was gonna resolve it...so you may have to take it off and clean and flush each passage one at a time...good luck. FYI I could not believe mine could run with it being as obstructed as it was...

Edited by NutCASE, August 10, 2012 - 10:10 PM.