Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Will A 1984 Briggs 18hp I/c Fit In A 314 ?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:01 AM

There is a Briggs twin that's been for sale locally for a month now. I was wondering if it would physically fit in a 314? In other words is this engine much different in size from the Kohler twin that would have been in the 317's? It has an alternator on it which may be hard to deal with. I'm just wondering about the basic dimensions. It hasn't run for a long time which could be trouble. Are parts still available for these engines. He's asking 225 and serious offers considered! Heres the ad
http://novascotia.ki...QAdIdZ392693418

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:27 AM

Just guessing here, but I bet it could be made to fit. May have the original charging system still in there. Would be nice to know what the model # is, then you can find specs/dimensions.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#3 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:30 AM

Thanks Kenny. I think I'll email buddy and see if I can get any info.

#4 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,464 Thanks
  • 39,695 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:47 AM

The model #'s are on the breather cover, you can see them in the pics. He just didn't get a pic of that tag. You should be able to use those #'s to see if it did have it's own charging system. Then you can compare the size to the Kohler to see if it will physically fit.

#5 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:34 AM

I know when Simplicity went to the twins they had to stretch the frame to make room. Also you will want to check that engine to see if the crankshaft has a straight or tapered end. That being said, you can do anything if you put your mind to it.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 10:15 AM

He says in the ad that it's a 1" shaft. It looks like it has a mount for a hydro pump or something on the crank end. I emailed him but haven't gotten a response yet.

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 12:33 PM

The model no. is 422437. The crankshaft center is 6-3/4" above the mounting plate including the "rubber washers"?. The mounting base is 7.5" square. It would probably fit but the crank would be higher than the kohler single. I think the 317 has the crank higher as well. The drive belt for the mower is 4" longer on the 317 than the 314 which should mean the crank/pto is 2" higher. The biggest problem would be that the drive to the hydro would require u joints because of the 2"offset. Most of the u joints I look at are not rated for 3600rpm. Is this an issue with a low angle of about 6-7degrees. In the Lovejoy catalog only the needle bearing joints are rated for that much rpm's and they are very pricey. What is typically used in this application and does anyone have an estimate of cost?

#8 Cvans OFFLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,507 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:09 PM

You night find that the crank on the 917 is at the same height but the frame is 2" longer. I have both types of tractors here if you need me to check them . Would be Monday morning before I can get back to you. Mine is a 7117 with an 18hp magnum.

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 06:21 AM

Chris I am talking about a JD314. I should have given the full model no. I had a look at the frame diagrams for the 317 and 314 and the 317 frame is a lot different in the engine bay although it appears to be the same length as wheelbase and hood etc are the same. The sides of the frame,mounts and bracing are different which would make it very difficult to fit the twin Briggs into my 314. If I had a 317 it would be a lot more likely to fit. I think I'll pass on this one. The K 301-341 are the best engines for this tractor as the frame is pretty much built around the engine. It is very difficult to find one without a tractor attached to it.