#1 SearsYellow OFFLINE  

SearsYellow

Mower Extraordinaire

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10530
  • 449 Thanks
  • 562 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:52 PM

My grandfather gave me one of those a few days ago and I am very pleased with the mower. He ran over a rugg in the yard and broke not one but both spindles. Piece of cake, eh, indeed. I went and picked it up monday afternoon and tuesday I was looking for parts. All it needed was a set of blades, 2 spindles and a belt. I went to a local lawnmower repair shop to check on the price of the spindles. Well as always I wanted to know if Sten or Oregon made aftermarket parts and they did not. The ONLY choice I had was Cub Cadet OEM parts and this is where it got interesting. I had to purchase BOTH spindles and there were 89.99 a piece and that equals 192.00 with tax. I know spindles are expensive so I figured it wasn't that bad so I ordered them and picked them up today. While I was picking up the spindles today I asked the guy if they had the 'timing' belt or blades and he stated no so I just left with the spindles. I know my grandfather purchased the lawn tractor @ Tractor Supply Co and called to see if they had the parts and indeed they did. I hurried over to the TSC and picked up 2 blades and One belt and walked out paying 122 bucks.

So this is the Moral of the Story.

PLEASE REFRAIN FROM PURCHASING A RIDING TRACTOR THAT HAS THE 'TIMED' DECK. IF YOU DO YOU WILL END UP PAYING 1/4 OF WHAT THE MOWER IS WORTH TO FIX IT.

I have approximiately 330 in a mower that was 1600 dollars brand new. The lawnmower runs and cuts great but they will hit you hard in the wallet whenever you need parts for these mowers. I had a 50" deck on a AYP mower that I replaced all spindles and belts for 200 bucks.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:18 AM

It's still sounds like a good deal getting a mower for 330. The cost of those parts is a bit much. If they are a single source then they can gouge you on parts. It's not good policy IMO and if they did that to me I'd be looking elsewhere for my next mower.