Jump to content

Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay



Photo
- - - - -

Something Wrong With My Battery?


  • Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted August 03, 2012 - 03:26 PM

I had one of the battery's from the Bolens out on the garage floor with the charger hooked up to it. I happened to be working near by on one of my Bolens and thought I heard a faint Gurgling/bubbling sound. I went closer by the battery and it was making a bubbling noise inside! I felt the battery and it was pretty warm so I immediately unhooked it and took it outside.

The charger was on only 15 minutes or so and I dont think I ever remember one of those battery's being so warm from being charged.
Has anyone else experienced this?

#2 Gtractor OFFLINE  

Gtractor

    The Tractor Hoarder

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,609 Thanks
  • 3,910 posts
  • Location: Chillicothe, MO

Posted August 03, 2012 - 03:44 PM

sounds like you had the charger set too high :confuse: the slower you can charge it the better it is for the battery
If you had it on slow charge and it did that I'd say that battery has a short inside
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#3 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted August 03, 2012 - 04:05 PM

sounds like you had the charger set too high :confuse: the slower you can charge it the better it is for the battery
If you had it on slow charge and it did that I'd say that battery has a short inside


It was on slow charge.... I had the charger for a couple years now and havent had any problems.
I guess the battery is shot :(
Grr.... another $50 down the drain :wallbanging:

#4 jwc3232 OFFLINE  

jwc3232
  • Member
  • Member No: 10402
  • 42 Thanks
  • 54 posts
  • Location: ridgeway ont canada

Posted August 03, 2012 - 05:13 PM

did you have it sitting on concreat that will screw up your battery jim

#5 MH81 OFFLINE  

MH81

    Proud to be Deplorable

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,269 Thanks
  • 28,607 posts
  • Location: N. W. PA

Posted August 03, 2012 - 05:58 PM

Brian, put the charger on another battery and hook a VOM to it. Check both DC and AC. Should be around 14 DC and expect a little AC, but I saw a diode go bad and had 50 AC on one. Makes pretty sparks when you hook it up & batteries don't like that...
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#6 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted August 03, 2012 - 06:10 PM

did you have it sitting on concreat that will screw up your battery jim


Yeah it was on concrete.
I know on older battery's the concrete would drain them but on battery's they make today the concrete has no effect on them.....

#7 KC9KAS OFFLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Senior Member
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts
  • Location: Holland, IN

Posted August 03, 2012 - 06:41 PM

Batteries always heat up when they are being charged.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted August 03, 2012 - 07:49 PM

Have you checked the water level in the cells. If it was dead then it may bubble a bit but if it is getting warm that's a sign that there is a fair amount of current flowing. I'd look at the voltage while it's charging and see if it's in the normal range.
  • Bolens 1000 said thank you

#9 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted August 03, 2012 - 07:56 PM

Have you checked the water level in the cells. If it was dead then it may bubble a bit but if it is getting warm that's a sign that there is a fair amount of current flowing. I'd look at the voltage while it's charging and see if it's in the normal range.


I'll check the water level and voltage tomorrow.
The battery is about 2-3 years old.

#10 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

    Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,700 Thanks
  • 8,555 posts
  • Location: Ga

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:02 PM

I've had pretty good luck using just a battery tender to bring old batteries back to life. I check the water level and then put it on the tender and leave it at least over night but usually about 24 to 30 hr's.

#11 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • Senior Member
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,198 Thanks
  • 5,215 posts
  • Location: Michigan

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:03 PM

The battery may have a short inside or you were over charging it.

#12 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

    Super Moderator

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts
  • Location: Hubley, Nova Scotia - Canada

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:15 PM

If the voltage regulator is not working properly on your tractor it can ruin a battery in a relatively short time by over charging it. You should get 5 or 6 years out of a battery maybe more if it is not abused.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

    PK Fanatic

  • Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts
  • Location: Wallkill, NY

Posted August 03, 2012 - 08:19 PM

The concrete was also my first thought. I did not know it would not affect new batteries. I don't have anything helpful to say that hasn't already been said. Hook it up to another battery and see what happens!

#14 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted August 04, 2012 - 05:55 AM

If the voltage regulator is not working properly on your tractor it can ruin a battery in a relatively short time by over charging it. You should get 5 or 6 years out of a battery maybe more if it is not abused.


The starter Generator is not hooked up. On this tractor all the battery has to do is power the coil.

#15 Bolens 1000 OFFLINE  

Bolens 1000

    DR. Bolens

  • Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,680 Thanks
  • 17,200 posts
  • Location: Western NY

Posted August 04, 2012 - 04:39 PM

I guess my charger was overcharging the battery. Its one of those "smart chargers" that is supposed to automatically turn off when the battery is charged but I guess it didn't turn off when it was supposed to.
The battery was around 12.56 volts with nothing attached to it so the charger should have turned off but it didnt.




Top