• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:16 AM

I bought the I phone 4 when they first came out. I use it more then my PC for surfing the net.

The one I'm using now is actually my 2nd one. First one was out of the otter box case for cleaning when I dropped it and shattered the screen, took it to the apple store to get fixed, and they gave me a new one for FREE !! Without insurance.

Well now the battery life stinks, it's worn out I assume. It lasts about as 1/2 as long as it used too.

Anyone know about the batteries ? Can they be upgraded to a longer lasting then the original ?

Name brands better then eBay specials ?

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

#2 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 02:18 AM

Ken, I have an Iphone 4 myself, and keep looking into ways to prolong the life of the battery (or just gain more run time). So far the best way is to stay off of it all together LOL. The obvious issue is if you are on it all the time. And I have recently been looking at the external battery packs that plug in as an outer case to the phone for if I plan to use it a lot that day. Just recently figured out that they make a solar charger/battery pack for them as well. Kind of interesting idea, but not so sure it is going to work for most people, as the solar panel is on the back of the phone, so it is either pointed away from the sun during Iphone use or all together covered when stuck in a pocket. So not sure what the long term solution would be short of buying new batteries all the time or leaving it plugged in as much as possible. Good luck with your battery.

#3 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,652 Thanks
  • 7,677 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 07:10 AM

I would think that a nuc-u-ler powered booster would be not too far in the future. Or a pocket size methane generator!

#4 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:13 AM

Not sure about apple, but I have used e-bay for batteries in the past for over phones, and if you watch what is
listed I have always been able to buy factory batteries for at least 50% less than store prices. I use a few batteries
for my main phone, charge one over night, one in phone, so I have 2 with me at all times.
Ever look at some of the universal chargers, where as a battery can be charged outside of the phone?

#5 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:22 AM

Not sure about apple, but I have used e-bay for batteries in the past for over phones, and if you watch what is
listed I have always been able to buy factory batteries for at least 50% less than store prices. I use a few batteries
for my main phone, charge one over night, one in phone, so I have 2 with me at all times.
Ever look at some of the universal chargers, where as a battery can be charged outside of the phone?

No on the battery being able to charge out of the phone, and it's not easy to remove.

You need tools, good eyes and tiny fingers to remove it. The ribbon cable that hooks to the battery is very fragile, at least the one in my iPhone 3 was. I broke it. Reason for getting a 4

I'm going to look for a factory replacement on eBay. The apple store has em, but between the gas to get there and time, eBay will be a huge savings it looks like.

Edited by NJKen, August 03, 2012 - 10:23 AM.

#6 davidg OFFLINE  

davidg

• Member No: 371
  • 4 Thanks
  • 7 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 01:14 PM

i know a few folks that use http://www.mophie.co...jpa-ip4-blk.htm or similar and they get much longer battery life. it basically replaces the otterbox and adds an external battery. but the drawback is it replaces the otterbox. I don't know how rugged these are compared to an otter, i know i have literally thrown my phone across the room just to test out my otter box when i first got it. i don't recommend trying that though!

#7 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 01:22 AM

Make sure you don't have a lot of applications running in the background Ken..

#8 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 05, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Make sure you don't have a lot of applications running in the background Ken..

Yep, they suck the battery dry pretty quickly, at least most of them do.

I'm convinced that I just need a new battery, once it hits the 20-25% mark, it just dies real fast.

I ordered 2 new batteries (one for the wife's phone) off of flea bay last night. 18 bucks for the pair shipped to my door.

#9 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 10:41 AM

In case anyone was wondering, (I doubt it) I put in a new battery the other day and that did the trick.

It's lasting 10 X's longer now.

The big delay was finding the proper TINY 5 point screwdriver to open the phone case. No where locally had one for sale.
I had to order one off of eBay for $1.29.

The batteries I bought came with tool kits to change the battery, BUT it did NOT include the 5 point screwdriver.

Note to self: read the fine print when buying something on eBay.

#10 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,445 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 12:22 PM

I phone with my old Nokia, too :dancingbanana:

#11 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 20, 2012 - 12:28 PM

NJKen, how did you get them to replace the screen for free? Everything on the inet that I read says $199 without insurance and $49 with. Could it just be the amount of time that has passed. I'm sitting here right now waiting for a DIY glass kit for my daughter's phone. Going to have to skip coffee for an entire day to get the hands steady enough for this detail work.

#12 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 10:54 PM

NJKen, how did you get them to replace the screen for free? Everything on the inet that I read says 199 without insurance and 49 with. Could it just be the amount of time that has passed. I'm sitting here right now waiting for a DIY glass kit for my daughter's phone. Going to have to skip coffee for an entire day to get the hands steady enough for this detail work.

It was easy, my wife just took it into the apple store, they entered my account # and said they'd just give me a new phone. Not sure why, but I took it.

My wife's phone had a melt down and would not work at all a few months later, same thing, they just gave her a new one, no questions asked.

We do not have the insurance plan either.

#13 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 09:52 AM

I'm thinking that this must have been a while ago and things have changed. If they were just handing out new screens for crushed ones then there'd be no reason to sell the DIY kits for $30 all over the place now. I'm also thinking that these pieces of glass are breaking frequently because they cover the entire face of the phone.

#14 NUTNDUN OFFLINE  

NUTNDUN

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,266 Thanks
  • 15,618 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 02:14 PM

That is great you were able to change the battery Ken and get it working like new.

As for them replacing the phone for no cost with the broken screen, you hear about the stores replacing phones for free if a customer is over their contract period and they want to renew their contract. For some reason the phone companies love having people locked in to a contract.

#15 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 07:42 PM

That is great you were able to change the battery Ken and get it working like new.

As for them replacing the phone for no cost with the broken screen, you hear about the stores replacing phones for free if a customer is over their contract period and they want to renew their contract. For some reason the phone companies love having people locked in to a contract.

That wasn't the case George, not for either my wife's phone or mine.

I was under contract at the time, but they did not even try to get me to extend it.

I'm still surprised that they did it twice at no cost.

The phones are Never out of the otter box cases except to clean them. I'm sure next time it won't be free.