• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:32 PM

Yesterday, I installed the third 50" plasma TV at our local YMCA's Social area / Coffee House. The first was 6 months ago, the second was 6 weeks ago... both stolen without any leads yet. Last time, we ordered special security screws for the mount. Since they couldn't unscrew it, they broke the mount free with brute force, probably damaging the TV in the process.

The building is locked at night and they have no signs of entry from the first time, Must've been hiding in a closet or something... the second time, they pried a window a/c unit out to get in.

They not only stole the TV this time, but knew where to find the keys to unlock the drawer where the remote is kept.

Now the Y has to install a security system.

What ever happened to the "C" in YMCA anyways?

#2 NJKen OFFLINE  

NJKen
  • Member No: 9515
  • 1,359 Thanks
  • 1,284 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:48 PM

That stinks !! With the economy the way it is, people are doing just about anything for cash !! It's not just the crack heads any more.

I believe crimes like that are up everywhere.

A job I was just working on a little west of Philly was just hit hard. Thankfully I did not leave any tools or materials on site, all the other trade guys lost darn near everything.

This was in a VERY nice town. And less then a 1/4 mile from Villanova university

It's just sickening reading about this stuff. More so when you see how it's hurting those that you know.
  • MH81 and caseguy have said thanks

#3 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:05 AM

That's almost grounds for shooting.the SORRY SOB that is that low. Sorry to hear this but I think we haven't seen anything yet, The JUDGES HAVE TO GET HARDER.
  • MH81 said thank you

#4 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:17 AM

Kinda seems like dirtbag knows this place like an insider...
  • MH81 said thank you

#5 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,315 Thanks
  • 28,632 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:20 AM

Kinda seems like dirtbag knows this place like an insider...

I was kinda thinking "Employee's Kid" maybe. Someone who knows their way around, that's for sure

#6 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 02:31 AM

Alan, never put anything past anyone. Remember, crime is a close loop, somebody tipped off somebody about the TV, the where abouts of the remote, and entry points of the building, even the lack of security measures. I don't know that the TV was the root cause of why, but there is ALWAYS a reason why they picked the YMCA and the TV in it. Trust me, as soon as the police figure out who, the clues start coming back, and you learn why. I hate to say it, but learning the hard way always sucks, and the best thing you can do to protect against crime now adays is to live where there is only one way in and one way out, and the entry point is guarded by land mines, walls, automatic guns, trip wires, and any other gadgets that will take them out!!

Also, when you have been victimized, spread rumors about what you will do if you ever find anyone unwelcome on your land again and it WILL get back to the criminals, because they already have the connection. And once a camera is added to the mix the criminals will know that tomorrow as well. It is scary to think, but we are always being watched. ALWAYS connections involved in crime.
  • MH81 said thank you

#7 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 06:13 AM

Here the construction industry is continually being victimized by thefts. I have come to the conclusion that many of them steal from each other and have no qualms about stealing another mans tools and taking away his ability to make a living. You cannot leave tools or materials at a job site without a high risk of them being stolen. They stole uninstalled windows from our locked house while it was being constructed. They were delivered at 2pm that day and were gone the next morning. Inside knowledge, as said above. They have stolen installed vinyl windows from houses as well. Just about anything goes. On the day before my sister and her family were to move into their new house someone broke in and stole all the appliances which were delivered that day, including the HRV and central vac which were plumbed in, and all the BIL's tools. The well drilling truck was parked in the end of the driveway. You could see where they had to carry the fridge, stove etc. down the ditch and up the other side to what must have been a cube van parked on the side of the road. They took a huge risk but got away with it. They do catch them from time to time and it feels good when they do.
Recently there was a crew doing Band E's in the middle of the day in our subdivision. A neighbour noticed strange activity and called the police. The thieves made a run for it. Neighbour followed with his cel phone and RCMP nabbed them a few minutes later. It was a 15 year old and 2 adult male relatives. A family business I guess.
Biggest deterrent here seems to be a big dog. Most of these guys will not mess with dogs and the noise alone is usually enough to keep them away.
  • MH81 said thank you

#8 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 07:30 AM

That is horrible that people would sink that low and do that kind of stuff. What a bunch of scum bags. Hopefully the problem will be fixed now! That was very nice of you to install another tv for them.
  • MH81 said thank you

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 07:54 AM

Yeah there is no shortage of Dirt Bags in the world. The Big news story in Des Moines right now is an arson case at East High School in Des Moines. Arsonists burned the locker room and destroyed $250,000 worth of football and track equipment.
Their football team begins practice Monday and no equipment. My suspicion is that's taking school rivalry way too far!!

On the bright side, Gabby Douglass a Des Moines transplant, has done us proud by doubling down on Gold in the Olympics.

Edited by JD DANNELS, August 03, 2012 - 07:56 AM.

• MH81 said thank you

#10 Blind Ref OFFLINE  

Blind Ref
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 10762
  • 19 Thanks
  • 52 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:04 AM

Sure sorry to hear that bad news! My place was hit 3 times, and since it is so hard to catch them in the act, I installed burgular bars and problem has been solved, so am sure that security system is the answer.
  • MH81 said thank you

#11 John@Reliable OFFLINE  

John@Reliable

Procrastinators unite tomorrow

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 36
  • 1,295 Thanks
  • 1,416 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:22 AM

In the last month I have given three quotes to replace plumbing and heating systems that have been ripped
out of houses and one no cooling a/c call that I found the outdoor unit was gone.

My little sleepy town has had the church food pantry broken into at least three times in the last year.
  • MH81 said thank you

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Definitely an inside job. Hope you get to the bottom of it all.
  • MH81 said thank you

#13 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,418 Thanks
  • 3,164 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 11:47 AM

Level them with rock salt! I did Years ago and it felt good, I hollered to em and said come again soon , i have plenty more ! Never had another issue again :)
  • MH81 said thank you

#14 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:31 PM

Level them with rock salt! I did Years ago and it felt good, I hollered to em and said come again soon , i have plenty more ! Never had another issue again :)

Was that a single or double barrel application method? :thumbs:
  • MH81 said thank you

#15 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:34 PM

. Trust me, as soon as the police figure out who, the clues start coming back, and you learn why. I hate to say it, but learning the hard way always sucks, and the best thing you can do to protect against crime now adays is to live where there is only one way in and one way out, and the entry point is guarded by land mines, walls, automatic guns, trip wires, and any other gadgets that will take them out!!

Casey, I hate to say it but the police do NOT place any sort of premium on solving "petty" crime around here. I know in Charlotte NC, when your car gets broken into, they don't even send an officer out to investigate nor look for fingerprints. More than one of my former collegues including myself lost money and time dealing with broken windows while visiting Charlotte for work, the 911 call went something like "sorry that happened, don't leave anything in the car next time, here is your report number for the insurance company."
Further, I worked a small apartment community in a small town for a few months, it seemed like once or twice a week someone's door would be kicked in. Only once did I see the officer try dusting for prints. And like you say, there were connections. The "gang" included someone who lived in the community, who knew which cars to look for. But the only reason something happened was when the HVAC shop across the street saw a break-in and identified the car involved, right down to the license plate number.
  • MH81 said thank you