• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• Member No: 1100
  • 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:03 PM

Hey everyone I know lowboys isnt exactly a garden tractor , but I've always wanted one. " What cub man doesnt right? " lol Does anyone here know ware I could find a service ms of good info on manual to download,or possibly a website to go to that has lots of good info on them? I've always wanted a old tractor/sub compact...Its almost impossible for me to have anything real big where I live and the space I'm working with. I know it takes alot of space,heavy equipment,,knowledge to tear down and rebuild a big one,. But I'm pretty confident I could do somthing with a lowboy,. So my goal now is to find one in my price range thats fixable.Doesnt have to be perfect,it can run like crap. lol I gotta have one , thats all there is too it.Might take some time to find what I'm looking for but I know there out there. So if anyone could point me in the direction to a few good sites that would be great and much apreceiated. thanks once again

#2 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:20 PM

Technically a Lowboy isn't a Cub Cadet. Sorry I just had to say it. :lol: The first ones were just a lowered version of the Farmall Cub. Are you looking for something like a 154,184 Cub Lowboy or just a Cub Lowboy? A 154,184 while similar in many ways to a Plain Cub Lowboy is a different animal. As far as manual are concerned, Jensales is a good source of manuals for old tractors or just about any other piece of heavy equipment you have.

Here's a picture of our Cub Lowboy.

Attached Thumbnails

• 100_1240.jpg

#3 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 10:42 PM

Is that the one with the 61 cubic inch engine?
My FIL had one that would only mow if you were going down hill, not enough power to do both climbing and mowing. I adjusted the carb on it and got it about 20% better than nothing, but he wouldn't let me open it up to do a valve job or check compression... I don't think he thought I knew what I was doing. He may have thought correct.

His was Yellow and the only other thing I remember was what a PITA it was to change the clutch disc in it. I had a car once that the clutch flew apart in & shrapnel pierced the side of the bell. Always wondered who at IH thought putting a "spinning wheel of death" right under the family jewels was a good idea.

Please don't think I'm bagging on the brand, I think the IH line is one of the better ones, as a matter of fact, I think this is the only IH product that I didn't really like.
  • Auburn David said thank you

#4 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:34 PM

IHCUBGUY...Yeah I was refering to a CUB CADET 154 lowboy,or 184. I've heard from a few people that they were kinda underpowered .for there size. Eother way I think they are a really good lookin tractor and I would like to find one. Do you know much about the c60 motor? Havent found what hp they got,just the normal info,4cyl.liquid cooled . but thanks for the advise on a manual

#5 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:37 PM

Is that the one with the 61 cubic inch engine?
My FIL had one that would only mow if you were going down hill, not enough power to do both climbing and mowing. I adjusted the carb on it and got it about 20% better than nothing, but he wouldn't let me open it up to do a valve job or check compression... I don't think he though I knew what I was doing. He may have thought correct.

His was Yellow and the only other thing I remember was what a PITA it was to change the clutch disc in it. I had a car once that the clutch flew apart in & shrapnel pierced the side of the bell. Always wondered who at IH thought putting a "spinning wheel of death" right under the family jewels was a good idea.

Please don't think I'm bagging on the brand, I think the IH line is one of the better ones, as a matter of fact, I think this is the only IH product that I didn't really like.

Yea the cub's had the 60 cube flathead in them. IH called it the model C60 engine. I am assuming that you are talking about the mower as "the spinning wheel of death?" There was a TON of other stuff for Cubs and Lowboys. Our's has spent most it's life on mower duty as second gear has been used that hard it has a clunk in it.

No worries Alan as to knocking the IH brand. Only thing I will say in the Cubs defense is the length of time they were produced. They came out in 47 and production ended in 79. There were some tractors that were much worse. Any of the big tractors in the 70's with an IH V8 engine were not that great. They moved them over from their truck division where they did allright but in the big farm tractors they didn't have a good reputation.

#6 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:40 PM

I found the owner's manual here: http://www.cleancomp...nual/index.html

EDIT: They have the Parts Manual too. The index for 3 of the low boy tractors can be found here: http://www.cleancomp...er Series Cubs/

#7 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:41 PM

IHCUBGUY...Yeah I was refering to a CUB CADET 154 lowboy,or 184. I've heard from a few people that they were kinda underpowered .for there size. Eother way I think they are a really good lookin tractor and I would like to find one. Do you know much about the c60 motor? Havent found what hp they got,just the normal info,4cyl.liquid cooled . but thanks for the advise on a manual

They all had the C60 in them and in the 154 it was rated at 15HP, in the 185 it was rated at 18HP and in the 184 it was rated at 19HP. What else would you like to know about them?

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:43 PM

Oh, the "Wheel" I am referring to is the open air clutch assembly that his had. Only a tin piece of tin between it and you.

#9 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:48 PM

Oh, the "Wheel" I am referring to is the open air clutch assembly that his had. Only a tin piece of tin between it and you.

Must have been a 154 or 185. They did have quite the funky clutch and drive arrangement on them.
  • MH81 said thank you

#10 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 27,289 Thanks
  • 28,623 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:14 AM

There's one for sale about 1/2 hour east of me on CL
http://erie.craigsli...3164423139.html

#11 bja105 OFFLINE  

bja105
  • Member No: 10485
  • 196 Thanks
  • 191 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 09:32 PM

There are a few on Pittsburgh Craigslist, $2000-3500. It seems like a lot of money for a not quite big tractor. I was temporarily infatuated with them, too. I decided for that much money, I could buy a more useful tractor. I sure like the looks of the yellow and white ones.

#12 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• 1,358 Thanks
  • 1,475 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:03 PM

There's one for sale about 1/2 hour east of me on CL
http://erie.craigsli...3164423139.html

That one is a late version of the Farmall Cub Lowboy. The 154 has the zig zag style grill like a 106 Cub Cadet would have.
  • MH81 said thank you

#13 Salatino OFFLINE  

Salatino

• 29 Thanks
  • 188 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 11:23 PM

I agree , some people are asking alot of money for them considered they really arnt that big and kinda under powered for there size. But like I mentioned as of now Icouldnt have a big tractor here.No room! LOL Honestly I have no need for a lowboy ,its way to big for my yard to mow with. IDK maybe I should rethink it. Theres a place not to far from me I found that deals with alot of lnew/used parts for them. well new aftermarket lol you know what I mean. I'm gonna try to go take a look around maybe this week and see what he has. I know I'm really wanting another project ,.I'm still gonna go look , never hurts right? lol Only problem is space,if I do decide to go with 1 , I'm pretty much gonna be outta room. I've been thinking about one of them or afel project. Only problem I dont really know a whole lot about hydraulics.