UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 06:36 PM

DO idiots insist on putting "cost $xxx new" on their ads. On one local paper site there was an ad for an LT that said "cost $4200 new will take $400" The thing wasn't worth 40. I can't imagine it having been much more than $1500 new. What does what it was worth new have to do with what it is worth now.

Reminds me of going to car lots and asking the price of a car and the first thing the salesman wants to ask is how much do you want for your trade in. What I want has nothing to do with the price of the car. I remember a guy doing that to my dad and he walked out of the showroom. The manager stopped him and asked what the salesman had told him. My dad said, " he told me he was an idiot" and walked out.
  • caseguy, Texas Deere and Horse, middleageddeere and 1 other said thanks

#2 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,704 Thanks
  • 8,557 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:12 PM

I hate to deal with just about any kind of salesman but vehicular ones are the worst. I think people do the new cost to make it seem like the buyer is getting a deal and if the buy hasn't done their homework then it might work so now you have an idiot selling to an idiot. That is like these auction sites how many times have you seen something for sale and it is sold for more then it was worth all because the bidder's did not do their homework and set a limit on what they were willing to spend.

#3 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:16 PM

I guess using this thinking I can post an add for my 1952 David Bradley, and say it cost $185 new but I'll take $500 for it.
  • caseguy, Alc and JDBrian have said thanks

#4 Gtractor ONLINE  

Gtractor

The Tractor Hoarder

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 782
  • 6,617 Thanks
  • 3,914 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:21 PM

AHHHH, MSRP
Manufacturers suggested retail price.
MSRP might have been $4200 but I would inamgine that the dealer was glad to sell it brand new for $1500, and made a good profit while doing it.

#5 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:27 PM

I tell what my DB cost new and they can't believe it. Hey the plow was $12!!!

#6 motobreeder OFFLINE  

motobreeder

• Contributor
  • Member No: 3989
  • 425 Thanks
  • 611 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 08:15 PM

Folks that try to defend a silly price "I've got more then that in it".
My response - I used to own Nortel shares.

#7 dstaggs OFFLINE  

dstaggs

In Remembrance, RIP Dale

• RIP
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 228
  • 553 Thanks
  • 1,781 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 08:28 PM

Being a Auctioneer since 1965 I have seen a lot of new sell for more than you could buy from stores. At times I payed more than it was worth just to show someone that they couldn't run me off then later in a sale would pick up some good buys. Doing the homework before buying will save you Money (don't get caught up in bidding and Forget what you're doing)
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 08:48 PM

How about the line "I saw one just like it sell on ebay for $**** "

#9 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 10:18 PM

Being a Auctioneer since 1965 I have seen a lot of new sell for more than you could buy from stores. At times I payed more than it was worth just to show someone that they couldn't run me off then later in a sale would pick up some good buys. Doing the homework before buying will save you Money (don't get caught up in bidding and Forget what you're doing)

I saw a worn out MTD mower sell for $2400 (I think) at my father's estate auction. That's more than new. Before the bidding started, I thought I might pay $50 for it if nobody else was bidding. I didn't really want it, but I figured $50 was a fair price and the auctioneer could move on. Two guys got into it and suddenly the price was insane. So instead of paying $50 so the auctioneer could sell something worthwhile, I got a quarter (minus the auctioneer's cut) of the sale.

Folks that try to defend a silly price "I've got more then that in it".

I always laugh at that. If you look at anybody my age (47), our friends, family, and society in general has a couple of million invested in us. Render us down to something useful though, and you'd be lucky to get ten grand for the parts. If you've got more in it than what it can sell for, you should likely keep it. Pretty sure that's why my wife keeps me around.
  • Alc said thank you

#10 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 04:08 AM

I figure I probably have close to $400 in my 560 DB, but I'd be hard pressed to get that for it. And that's just the tractor and not the attachments for it.

I got into it with a seller on eBay over what he was asking for a tractor. It was WAAAYY over priced, he told how much he could get for all the attachments if he sold them separately. He told me I didn't know the market where he was told me to say out of his business. He told me had been doing this for 10 years. I have seen these items priced for less than half of what he was asking and still not sale. He had some of the items mis labeled, he didn't know what he had. Last I checked the items are still for sale.

#11 UncleWillie OFFLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:13 AM

I figure I probably have close to $400 in my 560 DB, but I'd be hard pressed to get that for it. And that's just the tractor and not the attachments for it.

I got into it with a seller on eBay over what he was asking for a tractor. It was WAAAYY over priced, he told how much he could get for all the attachments if he sold them separately. He told me I didn't know the market where he was told me to say out of his business. He told me had been doing this for 10 years. I have seen these items priced for less than half of what he was asking and still not sale. He had some of the items mis labeled, he didn't know what he had. Last I checked the items are still for sale.

I deal with people like that all the time. Someone will call me and say they have a junk car. I will give them a price. They will get upset and say that it is worth 5 times that much. I tell them if they change their minds to call back. Sometimes they do, but most often those overprices junk cars are on CL for a long time.

#12 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 11:14 AM

GM is going back to the one price promotion.

I remember when Saturn came out, I thought how nice it would be to just price a car the same as everything else. Until I looked at the price tag and said "You want me to pay how much for a dressed up Chevy?"

#13 HowardsMF155 OFFLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 01:31 PM

GM is going back to the one price promotion.

I remember when Saturn came out, I thought how nice it would be to just price a car the same as everything else. Until I looked at the price tag and said "You want me to pay how much for a dressed up Chevy?"

At least one local dealership here wanted to do the same thing with used cars "No-Haggle Pricing". I looked one time, never again.

#14 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 01:33 PM

I really like these that say"original paint", I want to ask them, does it still the factory air in the tires?
  • middleageddeere said thank you