22 replies to this topic

#1 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• Member No: 7555
  • 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 03:14 PM

Found this yesterday sitting beside a barn at a neighbors house. The gal I talked to said she was mowing with it 3 years ago and the deck belt broke. It was a 38 inch deck and they mow a lot of ground. She said they decided to by a new larger mower and this one never got used after that. I got it for $60.00! Brought it home and power washed it off this morning. I brought it into the shop and put a new battery in it. Added fresh gas plus some seafoam, and topped the oil off. 1st crank she started up. :dancingbanana: ran great for 1 min then died. I drained the gas at the carb and then drained the gas on the float bowl. Sprayed carb cleaner in the floatbowl and the carb throat. Put new gas in the tank and with a shot of starting fluid she fired up and ran great. The drive belt is off and needs rerouted so I don't know much about the transmission yet. Was this a good buy? It cleaned up very well. It was built I believe in 1987. Not a oldie but could be fun.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0801121858.jpg

#2 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 03:21 PM

Yes that was a good find and a really good price. Looks to be in nice shape. We used to have a 4211 and it was nice to mow the grass with, but was not a "garden" tractor by any means, which I am sure that you know that.
  • redcarkids said thank you

#3 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 03:56 PM

I don't think you could go wrong with a $60 tractor!

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 05:32 PM

Looks like a good solid mower for a small investment. Congrats on the find!

#5 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8128
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 09:18 AM

I'd say you did good. :thumbs:

I've been doing my mowing with my 4212H for almost 25 years now and have been very satisfied with it.

#6 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 04:35 PM

I'd say you did good. :thumbs:

I've been doing my mowing with my 4212H for almost 25 years now and have been very satisfied with it.

Got a question? After I got the mower running the first thing I did was push the Hydro lever forward to see if it would move. It did not. The drive belt was loose, but i had the parking brake on, duh! I released the parking brake and the belt tightend up. I got back on and moved the lever forward again and heard just a slight grinding noise, but got no movement. The belt still seemed a little loose, may be old and stretched?? My question is this with a hydro to check to see if the transmission is working can I get underneath the mower and hand spin the pully on the transmission and see if there is movement to the wheels? Does the hydro lever need to be in neutral for this or in forward position if this can be done? I have not had time today to get out there to check this but would like some knowledge before I start testing.

Edited by redcarkids, August 03, 2012 - 04:36 PM.

#7 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 04:38 PM

Yes that was a good find and a really good price. Looks to be in nice shape. We used to have a 4211 and it was nice to mow the grass with, but was not a "garden" tractor by any means, which I am sure that you know that.

Yea I know its just a mower but still for the price I could not turn it down. Most likely will be taking it to Portland Indiana come this fall or spring for the swap meet. Here are some after power washing shots.

Attached Thumbnails

• downsized_0802121810a.jpg
  • downsized_0802121810.jpg

Edited by redcarkids, August 03, 2012 - 04:44 PM.

#8 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 05:41 PM

My question is this with a hydro to check to see if the transmission is working can I get underneath the mower and hand spin the pully on the transmission and see if there is movement to the wheels? Does the hydro lever need to be in neutral for this or in forward position if this can be done?

I've never tried that. The hydro control lever would need to be in either forward or reverse though, for the wheels to turn.

Was the transmission engagement lever (located under the seat) in the engaged position (toward rear of tractor) when you tried to operate the tractor?

#9 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 06:34 PM

The hydro pump needs to be spinning at a higher rpm's then you can move it by hand. Have you checked to see if there is a bypass or transport lever (used to bypass the hydro when you want to push the tractor) . If this is in the bypass position then you won't get any movement. I'd jack the wheels off the ground and see if you get movement with no load on the transmission.

#10 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 01:29 PM

The hydro pump needs to be spinning at a higher rpm's then you can move it by hand. Have you checked to see if there is a bypass or transport lever (used to bypass the hydro when you want to push the tractor) . If this is in the bypass position then you won't get any movement. I'd jack the wheels off the ground and see if you get movement with no load on the transmission.

I will go try this. I have moved the bypass lever to the engage position. We had to disengage it to push it onto the truck. So this seems to be working. I will jack it up and see if the belt is slipping any.

#11 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 02:06 PM

Well not good news. Jacked it up and put it in forward and the wheels just barely moved. In fact I felt like they were sorta free wheeling like they would be if the transmission was disengaged. I am getting a noise out of the transmission. When I go to reverse the wheels do go the opposite direction but i can stop them with 1 finger and go the opposite direction. I am assuming the transmission is not engaging. If the previous owner pushed this mower without disengaging the transmission there is a sticker stating that damage can happen to the transmission. Does anyone know what kind of damage and if it is a easy fix? Maybe a pion sheared or something?

#12 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 03:53 PM

Look under the tractor, on the front of the hydro, and see if the dump valve shaft is stuck in the disengaged position (pushed in). If it is, put some penetrating oil on the shaft and try to pull it out. Don't turn it just pull out.

Below is a couple of pics of the hydro showing the dump valve shaft stuck in the disengaged position. The last pick shows the dump valve shaft in the engaged position.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by achomesteader, August 04, 2012 - 03:54 PM.

#13 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 06:26 PM

heading out right noew to check that. I never thought of the valve beeing stuck shut. Wish me luck!!

#14 redcarkids OFFLINE  

redcarkids

Tractorholic

• 242 Thanks
  • 464 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:12 PM

Look under the tractor, on the front of the hydro, and see if the dump valve shaft is stuck in the disengaged position (pushed in). If it is, put some penetrating oil on the shaft and try to pull it out. Don't turn it just pull out.

Below is a couple of pics of the hydro showing the dump valve shaft stuck in the disengaged position. The last pick shows the dump valve shaft in the engaged position.

WOW! WOW ! WOW! Thank you achomesteader! you were right on the money with that one. the valve was stuck in. I soaked it down with pb blaster and slowly worked it out. I just took a trip around the house with the mower and had the headlights on also. You just made my weekend. Thank you!

Edited by redcarkids, August 04, 2012 - 09:36 PM.

#15 achomesteader OFFLINE  

achomesteader

GT Fanatic

• Contributor
  • 867 Thanks
  • 2,231 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:16 PM

That's great news. Hope you enjoy your new tractor. :thumbs:
  • Rock farmer said thank you