• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:02 PM

So I got this crazy idea the other day at work. The seat on my 1253 was torn up and the back support was being held on with wire. So I pulled it off and welded it back in place. As far as the seat and back support fabric, I saw a school bus being dismantled at work so I went in it and sliced some large pieces of brown vinyl from several seats to recover my seat. Has anyone attempted to reupholster on their own ? Any tips or tricks? I plan on posting pictures of my progress.

#2 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:33 PM

Have not done it myself, but sounds like it is a good way to save money! Good luck with it!

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:55 PM

Did a lil something for mine and probably will do over (1st go teaches alot ). Hopefully you collected waay more material than you actually need, as this comes in handy when least expected. Go for it, take time in the lay out. would have been nice if you took photos of your ripped old one and it still couldve helped you lay out your project. Anyway its function then form IMO.
ooh and.. :wewantpics:

see: http://gardentractor...50/page__st__30

Edited by Newpaws493, August 02, 2012 - 04:55 AM.

#4 pharmer OFFLINE  

pharmer

• Member No: 4250
  • 686 Thanks
  • 677 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:11 PM

Plenty of material and I actually still have the original seat cover. I promise some pics for sure. Please feel free to criticize if you feel the need. It helps me to strive harder and become better.

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:19 PM

It's a learning environment 'round here, the foam I used was packing from something boxed..(keep budget low)
lookin forward to the progress reports.

Edited by Newpaws493, August 01, 2012 - 09:20 PM.

#6 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:24 PM

The only thing I can say is if you need seat foam material (I know you're trying to keep it low budget, but...) try a place like Jo-Ann Fabrics or some other DIY fabric/craft store. They sell several different thicknesses of seat foam that you can use, as well as a variety of fabric materials from cloth to vinyl and sometimes leather (although not always). (Plus, it's a great place to see and meet a lot of chicks! :thumbs: ) I used some supplies from there a while back to try and re-do a mini-bike seat. It didn't come out all too brilliantly if you ask me, but it did work alright. If I re-did it again, I'd of tried to find a denser foam padding and/or done metal spings under the foam for extra reinforcement. As it was the foam compressed way too much when you sat down on it IMO.

You can glue the seat material to the seat pan and clamp it if you are in a hurry, but in the long run I don't think it will hold as well. If there was wood anywhere on the seat, I'd suggest that you staple the material on (a lot of car upholstery is done this way as the seat is on a wooden frame) so it will last longer. But, I believe the frame is all metal, so you could try to stretch it and stitch it if you are good with a needle and thread. That will be your best option to make it last.

Hope the school bus brown seat material is close to your Bolens original seat color! I know it won't have the nice Bolens logo on the seat, but if it is comfy and works for you, that's all that matters!

(Oh, and I saw his tractors when I picked up the snowblower and this tractor's seat was pretty well shot. I felt bad that I barely touched it and the seat back fell over! :o At first I thought I was REALLY strong, but then he said it was already broken... :smilewink: )

BTW - My grandfather owned his own Shoe, Tack, and Harness Repair store for over 35 years and still operated it out of his garage at home after he officially closed his store up until about 2008 or so. (He finally gave it up as he is in his 90's now...) He taught me a lot of tips and tricks to make your own stuff out of leather and other materials and I remember working in his shop when I was a kid (like 6-8 years old). I have used some of these skills over the years to make stuff like my own wallets by hand (it takes some time though, which I don't have a lot of now and it is finally wearing out!) as well as knife holders and other items. It's cheaper to make it yourself, although more time consuming. But you also get the satisfaction of making something yourself! :D That you just can't BUY!!!

Good luck with it. Can't wait to see how it turns out! :thumbs:

Edited by MailmAn, August 01, 2012 - 10:28 PM.

• speedyg said thank you

#7 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:46 PM

What happened to his tools, machines and such? and about the logo, you'd be surprised at what can be done when you try...

Posted Image

Edited by Newpaws493, August 02, 2012 - 04:54 AM.

• Bruce Dorsi and MailmAn have said thanks

#8 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:16 PM

What happened to his tools, machines and such?

He sold them all a couple of years ago. Up until then, he had them all in his garage. I think he sold a bunch of them off to this "young guy" (in his 40's or 50's?) who wanted to start a shoe repair business or something he told me. My grandfather is still holding onto at least one of his stitching machines (plus it is in his basement and is solid cast-iron from around the 1930's, so it's not going anywhere!) as well as an old Singer sewing mahine. Both are foot-pedal operated and antiques and probably worth a lot of money! The stitching machine he kept is the only one he had left that will sew through about 1/4" thick leather for making harnesses and such. It is quite the impressive machine! But he did get rid of his shoe polishing/sanding/grinding machine. (IDK what the technical term for it would be). It was about 6 or 7 feet long and stood about 5 feet tall and was powered by a 1.25hp electric motor that drove flat leather belts on rounded pulleys to spin the accessories. It had brushes on it to polish shoes, sanding wheels to sand down heels, and grinding wheels to clean up tacks and nails. (It also worked great to sharpen mower blades!!! - So I'm still on topic!) It even had its own vacuum system to suck up your sanding and grinding filings. But he sold that one already. He also had stockpiles of old leather he sold this guy that he had left over. He also gave some to me to try and sell, but you'd be surprised how hard it is to find people who want to buy raw materials. I still have most of it. I'm saving it in case I need to make anything... lol! Yeah, sometimes when you try to sell stuff, no one wants to give you anything for it, but if you were to try and buy it yourself, everyone will be charging an arm and a leg for it. Makes you wonder how the people who won't pay poo for it figure it is not worth anything? (And sorry I'm just ranting now or going on off-topic for some time...)

#9 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 12:21 AM

(Plus, it's a great place to see and meet a lot of chicks! :thumbs: )

way to think outside the box,once again a matter of setting proper priorities for all around quality of life. :smilewink:
  • MailmAn said thank you

#10 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:21 AM

Just the other day I was in a fabric shop with my wife. I saw some black vinyl and said, "you could fix my D-200 seat with this". She said "yes I could, but you have other things to fix first"!
This lead me to beleive she will do it for me!
She often times will take something apart to see how it is put together and to make a pattern then make several of the items....Maybe someday she will fix my seat.

#11 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:40 AM

About the logo, you'd be surprised at what can be done when you try...

Posted Image

Wow!! That's realy nice. How did you do that? Is that some kind of a leather stamp that you made or did you burn that into the leather with a heat gun or is that sewn into the leather? You did a really nice job on that and it does look pretty original. Kudos! About how long did that take you? Are you going to put that on your Bolens' seat?

I don't have any pics of it I don't think, but for High School art class I made our school's shield/logo out of raw leather, thread and dye. It was a one-of-a-kind art project that had never been done at our school before (typically pencil drawings, paintings, chalk, etc...) I got an A on it and our art teacher almost never gave out A's for anything. The only other A I ever got in her class was for my pencil drawing of my parent's house from an old photo from when they bought it back in the 1970's. My parents framed it and have it in their living room. When most people see it for the first time they think it is a B&W photo of the house until they get closer and see the pencil marks! :D

But, I digress... (again...)

#12 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:49 AM

Just the other day I was in a fabric shop with my wife. I saw some black vinyl and said, "you could fix my D-200 seat with this". She said "yes I could, but you have other things to fix first"!

Is that a euphemism for something? Or do you REALLY have other projects to fix up around the house that you've been procrastinating on? :rolling:

This lead me to beleive she will do it for me!

As with most women, I wouldn't hold your breath on it... :smilewink: Maybe she just said that to motivate you into doing your chores, or just to complain about you not doing them in general.

She often times will take something apart to see how it is put together and to make a pattern then make several of the items....Maybe someday she will fix my seat.

That is pretty neat to try and reverse-engineer things. Plus, it keeps her busy and out of your hair so you can play with your tractors... :laughingteeth:

(Disclaimer - Just kidding around, no offense intended with any of my senseless comments...)

#13 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 10:01 AM

I put the link up w/ post #3, made an attempt to demystify the process, tools are shown. Intent was/is to mount on seat covers. Thanks
  • MailmAn said thank you

#14 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,783 Thanks
  • 4,303 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 03:52 PM

Is that a euphemism for something? Or do you REALLY have other projects to fix up around the house that you've been procrastinating on? :rolling:

As with most women, I wouldn't hold your breath on it... :smilewink: Maybe she just said that to motivate you into doing your chores, or just to complain about you not doing them in general.

That is pretty neat to try and reverse-engineer things. Plus, it keeps her busy and out of your hair so you can play with your tractors... :laughingteeth:

(Disclaimer - Just kidding around, no offense intended with any of my senseless comments...)

She was trying to tell me that there were other things on the tractor that need attention before it gets a recovered seat.
On the other hand, there is a job she had been on my case about. We bought some flooring (floating floor) for the upstairs about 2-3 years ago. I told her the flooring needed to be acclamated to the house before laying it. Well, she thinks it is acclamated by now!

She is pretty handy to have around, and she doesn't give me too much crap about my tractors.
We will be married 18 years on Monday....2nd marriage for both of us. 12 for her 1st, 20 for my 1st. Heck, we ought to be celebtating 50 years!!!

#15 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,405 Thanks
  • 39,661 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:32 PM

I hate to say this, but it's probably time to put that flooring down. That was a subtle hint. Next one may have you on the couch!