tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 961
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:30 PM

Well, I finally got to pick up the Dayton 990 today. Here's some pictures, I'll take some better ones when I get it unloaded tomorrow. The Mod. # 3Z523 and Ser. # 16454.

990 001.jpg 990 002.jpg

990 003.jpg 990 004.jpg

Edited by tinner, August 02, 2012 - 11:35 AM.

#2 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 917 Thanks
  • 1,209 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:38 PM

Looks good Tinner. Looking forward to some more pictures.

Edited by jms180, August 01, 2012 - 07:39 PM.

#3 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:42 PM

(Dumb reply comin) A Dayton who? and is that fuel tank huge or is that my bad eye? Looks like a strong machine but I know nuthin...

Congrats to you!

#4 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:35 PM

Sweet looking tractor! That thing is a beast! Thanks for sharing!

#5 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:26 PM

I love the look of those! Nice score Ronnie! She's a bit of a fixer-upper, but that's half the fun!

#6 HALFSCALE OFFLINE  

HALFSCALE

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4343
  • 413 Thanks
  • 485 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:04 PM

Good score! You can tell the power of an eaton , by looking at the bent ball hitch on the three point.
I've been taking pictures as I been restoring my White 1650, just haven't had time to get them on, but I had great results using Fusor 152 to repair dash. Now I want to cast one out of fiberglass and see which way is most cost affective, I have some that look worse than yours

#7 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 02:02 AM

The PO said he pulled it in the shed 5 years ago, shut off the gas and let it die, and it's been there since. It's dirty but the sheet metal is straight but has been rattle can painted. Later today I'll unload it, squirt a little oil in the cylinder, clean the spark plug if needed, change the fuel line and filter, check the oil, rinse out the fuel tank, install a battery and give her a whirl. One of two things will happen so I have a 50/50 chance it'll fire right up like my Snapper 1600 did when I got it in like condition. He also gave me an electronic ignition for it, said his brother gave it to him and he didn't like the way it ran with it so he took it back off. I've read where several people are missing the tool tray that's on the back between the fenders. I'm a retired sheet metal worker so I plan on building several. One's already spoken for but if anyone wants one just let me know in a PM. The more I can make at one time the cheaper they'll be.

#8 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 04:57 AM

Nice tractor Ronnie! Those 990's always look boss with those big rear wheels.

#9 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,419 Thanks
  • 39,669 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 05:33 AM

I hope it fires right up for you, Ronnie. Looks to be very capable of hard work.

#10 tinner OFFLINE  

tinner

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 502 Thanks
  • 1,561 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:58 AM

Well, I did all the above and it started right up but made a horrible noise like a rod knocking. It sounded like it could also be something around the drive shaft or mid mount PTO. I shut it down pretty quickly and started looking at the belt drive for the PTO, moved the idler pulley back and forth and decided to restart and see if I could see something wrong with the PTO. Fired that puppy back up and I sounded great, guess one of the belts weren't traveling correctly or something but not sure what the heck that noise was. Got on it and drove it back and forth a little and worked the hydraulic lift. Not sure but it looks like the lift cylinder is leaking and needs new seals. Gotta get some tires as the two right side are beyond repair but it looks like I've got a keeper after I clean it up and get everything lubed etc.

#11 Texas Deere and Horse OFFLINE  

Texas Deere and Horse

RED Wild Hogs, Horses & Deeres

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1435
  • 14,464 Thanks
  • 15,392 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 10:55 AM

Glad you got it home and running, can't wait to see some more photos of it. You are going to really like that machine, very strong and capable to do anything. I didn't think I would ever own a MTD, but I love mine.. :thumbs:

#12 RAJ OFFLINE  

RAJ

JMC fan

• Contributor
  • Member No: 40
  • 302 Thanks
  • 318 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 10:25 AM

Glad you got it home and running, can't wait to see some more photos of it. You are going to really like that machine, very strong and capable to do anything. I didn't think I would ever own a MTD, but I love mine.. :thumbs:

I just got my first MTD in a WHITE version. I never looked at them as anything special but I am really starting to like mine too. I don't think my tractor has the tool box in place so if you decide to make them, I may be interested in one.