• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Hey Dave, you just pushed me to 2200 in thanks! For that, you win an a expense trip to the ceiling of your garage via ladder!

#17 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:37 PM

Great idea & project! I just want to suggest one thing....better stronger rollers. Those stamped tin rollers make me very nervous. Especially when you mention 2nd story lift possibilities. You need solid steel or cast iron roller guide wheels, as these garage door wheels were not designed to carry much weight at all.

#18 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• Member No: 6698
  • 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 03:38 PM

Hey Dave, you just pushed me to 2200 in thanks! For that, you win an a expense trip to the ceiling of your garage via ladder!

GEEZZZZ thanks, Kenny ! If there was a sky hook in the drawer, I would have seen it. :smilewink:

#19 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 03:59 PM

Great idea & project! I just want to suggest one thing....better stronger rollers. Those stamped tin rollers make me very nervous. Especially when you mention 2nd story lift possibilities. You need solid steel or cast iron roller guide wheels, as these garage door wheels were not designed to carry much weight at all.

I appreciate the concern and the advice. You are correct that the rollers are "light weight" in a load bearing application. There will be NO weight carried by the rollers. Their only function will be to guide the platform in the tracks, as the chain hoist lifts the platform and associated weight (a GT, a snow blower, a bike, ect.) via the cables and pulleys mounted below the decking. NOW... if the pulleys below the platform aren't up to the task, they will be changed out for a solid cast pulley of the same dimension. Currently, they are constructed as a two piece assembly and held together by rivots. Time will tell on those pulleys and for this reason, I'll leave access holes on each corner of the platform to verify that all is working correctly and allow me to lube things as time goes on. To my knowledge, this "exact" application has not been done using these "exact" materials however, I'm weighing in on the side of caution and according to the specs, it "SHOULD" work. Famous last words, I know... :blush2:

I'll know tonight, just how well it works and what changes I'll need to make. There will be changes...there always is. :smilewink:
I'm off work at 8:00pm and by 8:30 I'll be back on the ladder. I'm a glutten...

Edited by dave8338, August 21, 2012 - 04:00 PM.

#20 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 08:47 AM

It is up !
Posted Image

This shot shows the platform up and at its' highest point, for now. If you look on the right hand side of the photo, you'll see my DeWalt sitting on the "bench". That bench, is where the GTs get loaded onto and stored for the winter months.

Posted Image

This photo shows the bench and the lift height of the platform. The bench is 42" wide, just wide enough to accommodate the wheels of the 116s with the mowing decks still attached.

Posted Image

Again... to the right of this photo, you can see the lower level of the garage and the area that I needed to make accessible for storage of bikes, wheelers, ect.

I still have lots of work left on the lift. Things like framing out the platform, guides to keep everything in plumb, decking, ect. I was happy to see it in this position last night when I quit for the day.
  • MH81 said thank you

#21 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 09:41 AM

I get it now. You need to go from one level to another and then move it off. Good setup.

#22 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 09:53 AM

It was the pulleys below the decking I was referring to. The track rollers will be fine.
  • dave8338 said thank you

#23 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 10:33 AM

It was the pulleys below the decking I was referring to. The track rollers will be fine.

Yep... THOSE pulleys are the ones that I'll be keeping an eye on. If they don't stand up to the load or show ANY signs of seperation, they'll get yanked and replaced with some that will be up to the task.

Now that it is up and mobile, is where the fine tuning comes in. I've already noticed a couple of things that will have to be addressed however... I had to start somewhere on this project. The "hardest" part is done. :orangecool:

#24 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 11:51 PM

Had a couple of hours tonight to figure out what method I'll bemusing to keep things lined up and on the "right track". It looks like I'll be using a pair of slide rails and four mounts, to transfer a few moments.

Also... The addition of a tension strap and some decor, will be needed to keep the main lift beam, doing its thing.

#25 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 05:39 AM

That's a pretty cool idea there.

#26 dave8338 OFFLINE  

dave8338

• 196 Thanks
  • 374 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 09:37 PM

Started putting in the webbing for the platform. Joist hangers and deck screws (lots of them) and it is starting to tighten up. I'll get another pic up this weekend.

All for now...
  • cookiemonster said thank you

#27 cookiemonster OFFLINE  

cookiemonster

Village Idiot

• Member No: 6338
  • 406 Thanks
  • 1,274 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 10:00 PM

Can't wait to see it work. This is going to need video.