• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Fauschanator OFFLINE  

Fauschanator
  • Member No: 9926
  • 8 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 12:34 PM

Not sure if this is the right topic so feel free to move it if need be.

I have an Deere tractor and the throttle seems to be stuck on fast. If I slide the lever down it migrates back up without changing the speed of the engine.

In the pictures included is where the cable attaches to the carb. Sliding the lever fails to move the throttle.

If I loosen the bolt in the lower right the throttle then moves otherwise it is tight.

Does this sound like I need a new throttle cable or do I have some other problem?

Thanks,
pic1.jpg pic2.jpg

#2 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 12:37 PM

I would say the cable is fine, as long as it is not broken inside then there is nothing else that could go wrong with it. The pics are blurry but it looks like the little rod is in the same spot judging by the way the end is. Is the round part turning on the rod?

#3 jd.rasentrac ONLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,444 Thanks
  • 3,991 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 12:50 PM

I would dismount the cable and try to fill penetrating oil in it. Then you see if it´s moving.

#4 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:11 PM

As JD.Rasentrac suggests disconnect the cable from the carb and move it back and forth if it doesn't move smoothly run some WD-40 or PB blaster down the cable and let it sit for a while then if it doesn't move smoothly replace the cable. In your pic it looks like you may have some rust build up in the end of the cable.

#5 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 02:22 PM

also im seeing the cable housing is moving. only the inside of the cable should be moving. might try flipping the mount that has the bolt thru around and see if that helps.
i may be off base on this but its worth a try.

edit to say i didnt read it right. sorry

Edited by dogsoldier, August 01, 2012 - 02:36 PM.

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 04:03 PM

If you can't sort it out then give us the model of the tractor. Someone else may have dealt with the same issue.

#7 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 04:40 PM

hard to say but looking at the pictures you posted the mechanism the cable attaches to can get very stiff when left to sit.i would separate and check the function of each end separately.

#8 Fauschanator OFFLINE  

Fauschanator
  • 8 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:16 AM

Thanks, I will try some more solvent but also have a new cable on order, it is cheap and will then move on to the mechanism if I need too. I have never really messed with "engine" stuff very much but thought I'ld give it a try. It is a 2002 LT166.

#9 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:34 AM

I have never really messed with "engine" stuff very much but thought I'ld give it a try. It is a 2002 LT166.

You are in the right place if you want to learn. It is a great feeling of accomplishment when you tackle a job you have not done before and may be a bit nervous about doing. You also may be surprised at what you can do. Let us know how it turns out.

#10 Fauschanator OFFLINE  

Fauschanator
  • 8 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 08:08 AM

The part finially came in, It was the cable, not sure if I have it adjusted right but I do have engine speed control now!

#11 ncb OFFLINE  

ncb
  • Member No: 3755
  • 51 Thanks
  • 215 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 03:43 PM

glad you got resuls. first rule of the home/backyard mechanic is check the simple stuff first. years ago my brothers car wouldnt crank,he didnt take ten minutes to think and analyse the problem but he did spend a couple hours and 100 plus bucks on a new starter.......no crank :mecry: back to the parts guy for a relay......no crank :( my dad just looks at him with a bit of a sideways glare and with under 5 minutes ,1 wrench and a bit of sandpaper cleans both battery posts and has its running, :spanka: my brother now takes the time to think and analyse.
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#12 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 8,706 Thanks
  • 8,562 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 04:27 PM

I have seen guy's get on their bikes, hit the starter button and nothing happens. Then they stand around and start pulling side covers checking wires etc. only for someone to go over and flip the kill switch to run.

Glad the new cable worked out for ya.

#13 Fauschanator OFFLINE  

Fauschanator
  • 8 Thanks
  • 29 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 03:20 PM

I have seen guy's get on their bikes, hit the starter button and nothing happens. Then they stand around and start pulling side covers checking wires etc. only for someone to go over and flip the kill switch to run.

Glad the new cable worked out for ya.

In my younger days I've pulled on the rip cord of a snowmobile untill I was good and sweaty then realized the kill switch was off.
  • HDWildBill said thank you