5 replies to this topic

#1 Petenpole OFFLINE  

Petenpole

• Contributor
  • Member No: 70
  • 145 Thanks
  • 149 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:11 AM

Well friends, I have given a lot of thought to this topic and looked at the bank account and various installations and have decided rather than redesigning the tractor to accommodate a Big Honkin engine (quote from Col Jack O'Neill Stargate) I will be installing a B48 back in the tractor.

I have found a man locally who does nothing but rebuild Onans ( they have become his hobby and love). I will be trading a Linamar LX790 with a broken rod and will (99% certain) trade a running P218 (big oil leaker).

Once I get the B48 back in the tractor hopefully it will be full of new life and bring the tractor to its original running performance. I can also get back to the correct electric clutch, and be able to hook up the PTO drive shaft (the P218 is raised a 1/4 inch to allow the starter solenoid to clear the motor mount).

One thing I am going to add is a oil pressure gauge to monitor the engine and if I can find a small analog tach that will run on this engine I may add that as well.

My goal is to see 1750-2000 hrs on this engine life, and by then I may be to old to care and someone else can have the old beast.

I want to thank everyone who chimed in on my questions in the past and will keep the group informed if there is an interest. And while I wait on the engine to finished in its overhaul I will get back to the Panzer restoration. Its been to dang hot to enjoy working in the shed this past month and August isnt looking much better.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 10:52 AM

I think you made a good decision going with another stock motor. Re powering with a bigger engine is always tempting but will result in a lot of work to make it all fit and work properly. Keeping it stock is also nice as you will be working a true classic GT and not a modified version.

#3 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:46 AM

Sounds like a good plan to me! Good luck with it!

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,645 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 12:07 PM

Any questions, you know to simply ask.....we'll help all we can. Should be an easy deal the way you're going!

#5 coldone OFFLINE  

coldone

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 839
  • 1,631 Thanks
  • 1,668 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:50 PM

Looking forward toseeing it up and running!

#6 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,699 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 07:31 PM

Sounds like you've got a great plan going there. I'm looking forward to the updates.