#1 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 6157
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:39 PM

I am looking to replace the hydrostatic transmission fluid in my Massey Ferguson MF16. It looks like Dexron III is the recommended oil. However..... I have stopped by a few different auto parts stores and they do not carry it. It appears that Dexron III is no longer licensed by GM and manufacturers are carrying newer types which are said to be "Compatible" with Dexron III.

I would really like to put a good quality fluid in the transmission and not guess. Any recommendations on what and where to buy? On some other threads, I have see where people mention that Shell Rotella 15W-40 will work in the MF16 Sunstrand transmission. I know that my local auto parts store carries The Shell Rotella oil.

More thoughts? I live in the Seattle area where it doesn't get too hot or too cold.

Thanks in advance.

- Mark

Edited by markdombroski, August 02, 2012 - 02:02 PM.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 06:51 PM

I have a Sundstrand15 in my JD314. I use JD hygard low viscosity fluid. It's a good quality hydro fluid but a bit more costly than ATF would be.
  • markdombroski said thank you

#3 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:49 PM

This is what I got last time I bought a case.

http://www.castrol.c...ntentId=7019850

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,574 Thanks
  • 29,821 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:10 PM

Type A auto trans fluid is what is actually called for. Straight HD30wt motor oil is recommended in heavy duty use or hot climates.

#5 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:06 PM

I've been using JD Hygard in my 420 and it works great. Seems to be about 50 cents a litre more than quality transmission fluids, so not a huge cost difference.

#6 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 11:34 AM

This is what I got last time I bought a case.

http://www.castrol.c...ntentId=7019850

Hi Will, I ordered a case of this today and it does specify use for Sunstrand equipment. I will be picking it up from a distributor tomorrow. Thank you for the recommendation!

#7 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

Tractorholic

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 05:09 PM

I should get some of that for my work truck...maybe it won't just pour out the bottom. Took last Friday off and the guy who filled in for me drove around with the PTO on, phoned in and said it wasn't shifting right, now that big Allison transmission is crying big red tears.

Why did he turn on the PTO in a truck with no hydraulics to drive? He thought it was the 4x4 button. Nobody but me has asked why he thought he needed 4 wheel drive on dry pavement in July. It might be related to having two flat tires this week though.

Oh well, I have tomorrow off too, and Monday's a holiday. Maybe on Tuesday they'll have one of those new Internationals waiting for me. Give me a nine speed and then the forklift monkeys won't be able to drive it when I get a day off.

#8 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:05 PM

I should get some of that for my work truck...maybe it won't just pour out the bottom. Took last Friday off and the guy who filled in for me drove around with the PTO on, phoned in and said it wasn't shifting right, now that big Allison transmission is crying big red tears.

Why did he turn on the PTO in a truck with no hydraulics to drive? He thought it was the 4x4 button. Nobody but me has asked why he thought he needed 4 wheel drive on dry pavement in July. It might be related to having two flat tires this week though.

Oh well, I have tomorrow off too, and Monday's a holiday. Maybe on Tuesday they'll have one of those new Internationals waiting for me. Give me a nine speed and then the forklift monkeys won't be able to drive it when I get a day off.

Sounds like the fill-in guy doesn't know much about how to operate the truck. Sorry to hear about your leaking transmission :mecry:

#9 markdombroski OFFLINE  

markdombroski

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 196 Thanks
  • 432 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 12:09 PM

Ahh, here is the new fluid. Bought a 3 gallon case. As the Sunstrand transmission takes 5 quarts, I will be able to do the MF16 and MF14 and have 2 quarts left over.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMAG1975.jpg
  • IMAG1976.jpg

• olcowhand said thank you