Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Transport A Gt From The Us To Canada? Help!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#16 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 04:01 AM

When I read this topic it seemed easier for me to travel in the commie DDR with my car full of weapons - 20 years ago. Bill will understand what I mean :laughingteeth:

For those that don't know the DDR was East Germany. (German Democratic Republic) As a solider in West Berlin, all I needed to travel to East Berlin was a set of "Flag Orders". Basically a piece of paper with an US flag and written in 3 languages, English, German, and Russain.
  • Toolpartzman and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#17 Toolpartzman OFFLINE  

Toolpartzman

Fun With Horsepower

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 7171
  • 468 Thanks
  • 1,280 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 04:20 AM

To repeat whats been said--Scammers are THICK on CL- Be certain this guy is legit. They won't ask much-If anything about the tractor, then start in about shipping. They offer to overpay for everything with bogus funds and by the time you catch it, its too late.

#18 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 04:36 AM

I tend to agree to let this one go. There is some reason can't or won't cross the border himself. If he wants it that bad he can come get, or he can pay for EVERTHING himself. Passport, import taxes, gas, and mileage.

#19 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 06:09 AM

When the tractor enters Can., 13% HST will have to be paid on it. There's the tricky part. Have
a bill of sale with his signature. Also have a copy of your ad showing asking price. If I ever bring
one across the border again, I'd also swing by a GT shop, and get a written estimated value done.

As all governments, Canada is cash strapped, and looking for revenue. If they think for a second
that the value you are declaring, is too low, they will give you grief. Arm yourself with proof.
It's not right, but that's how it is. I've been down that road with them. They wanted to impound my
GT, that I had bought state side, and get it appraised, even though I had a bill of sale. They thought
it was too cheap. After argueing for an hour and a half they finally let me go.

I think, I'd even go as far as, flagging over an officer of the law, and having him witness the bill of sale.

Border guards, don't have to be Walmart greeters, but they certainly don't have to treat EVERYONE like
criminals.

As others have said, I'd really give it a second thought, whether I'd want to jump through all those
hoops to sell a GT. There must be other buyers out there.

#20 caseguy OFFLINE  

caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Sorry, but where is the problem to export a GT from the USA to Canada. You have to declare it to the customs and pay the taxes. That´s the way if we import a JD from the States to Europe.
Norway isn´t affiliated to the EU. But when I go fishing there, it will no one interest. Why should this be different between the USA and CND :confuse:

Can´t understand... !!!

JD, in the past, the border between the US and Canada was practically non-existent. After the attacks on 9-11-2001, because the terrorists originally entered the US from Canada (taking advantage of the lax regulations and enforcement) the border became a "closed" one necessitating the steps that have been outlined here.
  • JD DANNELS and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#21 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:29 AM

That was a good explainantion Case Guy. In 26 yrs as a customer Service Rep, I have accumulated many stories.
Some funny and some not funny at all.
And consider myself partly responsible for my companies policy of not selling outside the Continental US.
A Sales Manager, Salesperson and myself, managed to establish an account, get Credit Applications processed, put together an $80,000 order Get payment in Certified Checks and ship product to the Bahamas in under 30 days.
Which would have been quite an acomplishment, had the product not been paid for with counterfit Certified checks.
Product was long since gone and no chance of recovery. And collection of bad debt is nearly impossible when dealing with the laws of two countries.

#22 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:42 AM

Man that sucks too!

#23 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:17 AM

Guys, this one question generated quite a buzz and for good reasons, IMO, For as long as the barter and trade way of life has been in use, there seems to have been NOGOODNICKS who contaminate the well of positive transactions for the rest of well intended people. This breaks down the natural trust that we're born with and puts us on guard. This coupled with as Caseguy stated, 'That horrible event' has made us captives in our own camps. I'm just saying, in reflection, these things should keep us aware but don't stop us from doing good by our fellow man when possible.
  • caseguy said thank you

#24 fonz3482 OFFLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 12:43 PM

well it seems I created a monster here. I thank everyone for the responses and advice, but the guy found a tractor locally and has passed on my tractor. Alittle background on what happened: The guy contacted me through another tractor forum(MTF) and wanted my cub original. I placed it for sale on 4 different sites because my poor mini daschund had to have a emergency vet visit due to being stung/bit by something and being allergic. Well 3 steriod shots, and close to $500 later my dog was recovering at home. It was just my luck also that 2 big bills were due the same week as all this went down. So in order to try to rebuild my bank account I placed the tractor for sale for $550, but I got very little action on it. I had 2 people in the last 3 weeks interested in it. 1- The guy from canada, he liked it and did say that my tractor is in very nice shape and is way under priced for his area and offered $550 plus $150 to deliver it to him. I was very worried about the delivery so I kinda told the guy I would have to research it. Within that time he said he found a tractor he liked 40 miles from his house and in canada so he would pass. Really nice guy, but not sure why he wanted me to deliver the tractor. 2- I had one guy come look at the tractor. He offered me $400 for it. I told him he'd be hard pressed to fully rebuild the motor for $400, let alone sandblast,paint and replace all needed parts on the tractor to make a clean restored machine. He agreed, and said in his current situation all he could spend was $400, and he also said It was a nice machine and I would have no problem selling it. Well I still got the machine after 3 weeks, and my wife and I have some what recovered from our doggy finacial issue, So im pretty sure Im gonna keep the cub original for now! Thanks again everyone.
  • powerking56, caseguy and Newpaws493 have said thanks