Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

How Do You Transport A Gt From The Us To Canada? Help!

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 fonz3482 ONLINE  

fonz3482

Tractorholic

• Member No: 84
  • 765 Thanks
  • 590 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:15 AM

Hello everyone,
I recently put my 63' cub original for sale. A buyer contacted me from canada and wants the tractor. BUT, he also wants me to deliver it to him. Is this gonna be a HUGE pain?? What do I have to do to bring it across, and what should I expect at the border going in to canada and coming back to the usa? Any advice or help would be great! Thanks!!

#2 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:34 AM

Not sure about the border logistic issues but I'm thinkin' buyer bears the cost for this 'service' to be provided. Make sure you're protected form ending up in debt while trying to make a little change. a member recently posted his tranport services...
http://gardentractor...tworking-forum/

his Uship profile:http://www.uship.com...roveHauling I'm guessing he could fill in some blanks for you on how to arrange such a thing.

Good luck!

#3 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:36 AM

I really can't answer that. My employer has some accounts in Canada, Puerto Rico and the Bahamas, but we don't ship outside the Continental US. Anything going out of the country must be shipped to a US Adress which could include a Freight Forwarding Company. The logistics and legal paperwork of getting it across the border is the responsibility and at the expnense of the reciever of the goods..With so many friends on this board from north of the border, it seems kind of silly for it to be so difficult.
That being said, I seem to recall that swaps across the border, has been done by members of this board
Hope they will weigh in.

#4 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:46 AM

As Newpaws pointed out there are a bunch of scammers out there who spend their days trying to figure out how to rip-off honest and trusting folks and many of the hang out on CL.

Back in the late nineties I worked for a guy who owned property on an island in the Saint Laurence River between Canada and the US. I hauled a few pickup loads for him from Michigan to the island and back then it was pretty simple, all I needed was a list of what I was taking and paperwork showing that he had already paid the import taxes on it. No one ever even looked at the stuff I was hauling. The F150 in the middle of the ferry was loaded with a 15k generator and some mattresses this load.

Now days going to and coming from Canada is such a pain that we no longer make our summer fishing trip. Waiting times in Detroit, Port Huron and Saulte Saint Marie are extremely long and by now I believe passports are required. Perhaps someone who knows the best times to cross and what is required can make the trip more doable.

Good luck.

Attached Thumbnails

• F150 going to Wolfe Island.jpg

Edited by GTTinkerer, July 31, 2012 - 10:50 AM.

• Newpaws493 said thank you

#5 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:58 AM

Well stated. The more I think about it none of the headaches should be yours. Perhaps there's a U.S. buyer waiting around the corner.

#6 bhts OFFLINE  

bhts

Bob's Lawn and Garden Tractors

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 945
  • 1,413 Thanks
  • 2,115 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 11:07 AM

First make sure you have a passport as that is required to get back into the us. I have gone fishing up there with the father in law and going in and out has always been easy pulling a boat. Now if you sold the tractor there may be inport taxes and duties that have to be paid when you enter.I would check with the local boarder agent to make sure of it.

#7 8tyman8 OFFLINE  

8tyman8

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 5455
  • 414 Thanks
  • 731 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 11:11 AM

if it was in town i might deliver ... but in another country it may be a gamble and may be a bad idea i know people from usa that have a hunting camp and the brought the tractor up to canada to cut grass at the hunting camp .. wink wink nudge nudge
imo i would not do it

Edited by 8tyman8, July 31, 2012 - 11:12 AM.

#8 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 03:06 PM

if it was in town i might deliver ... but in another country it may be a gamble and may be a bad idea i know people from usa that have a hunting camp and the brought the tractor up to canada to cut grass at the hunting camp .. wink wink nudge nudge
imo i would not do it

Sorry, but where is the problem to export a GT from the USA to Canada. You have to declare it to the customs and pay the taxes. That´s the way if we import a JD from the States to Europe.
Norway isn´t affiliated to the EU. But when I go fishing there, it will no one interest. Why should this be different between the USA and CND :confuse:

Can´t understand... !!!

Edited by jd.rasentrac, July 31, 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#9 LilysDad ONLINE  

LilysDad

Cat Lover

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10443
  • 9,604 Thanks
  • 7,659 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 03:16 PM

It seems to me that the buyer knows the costs and headaches of bringing that GT up there and is sticking you with the hassle. Like was said, sell it at home. When the Canadians aren't terrorists anymore, it will be different.

Edited by LilysDad, July 31, 2012 - 03:16 PM.

#10 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 04:05 PM

I agree with the others, sell it local. If you were to go then you would need a passport or and enhanced drivers license. My brother is going to Canada in a few weeks, he just got his enhanced license and it was only 40 bucks. Since I don't have a license yet, I would need a passport. Those are 250 and that is the only reason I am not going.

EDIT: I don't know what the laws are about bringing stuff in and out of the country though.

...When the Canadians aren't terrorists anymore, it will be different.

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

Edited by Ryan313, July 31, 2012 - 04:05 PM.

#11 KC9KAS ONLINE  

KC9KAS
  • Member No: 10038
  • 4,782 Thanks
  • 4,302 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:32 PM

You don't need the passport to LEAVE the USA, but you sure do need it to get back in!
Just made the trip the 1st week of July on a motorcycle vacation.

#12 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,167 Thanks
  • 2,142 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:48 PM

. If you were to go then you would need a passport or and enhanced drivers license. My brother is going to Canada in a few weeks, he just got his enhanced license and it was only 40 bucks.

What is an "enhanced license", Ryan? .....I am not familiar with that at all.

It is my understanding that you now need a traditional Passport (book) to fly into Canada (and fly back to the USA). ....A Passport Card is allowed to enter/exit Canada if by car or boat.

#13 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:51 PM

What is an "enhanced license", Ryan? .....I am not familiar with that at all.

It is my understanding that you now need a traditional Passport (book) to fly into Canada (and fly back to the USA). ....A Passport Card is allowed to enter/exit Canada if by car or boat.

I am not sure what it is really, and what the point of it is. He is driving there, I hadn't thought about what you need to fly there. Not sure how that goes.

#14 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 06:15 PM

'...Like PASS Cards, EDLs are only accepted at land and sea border crossings, not for air travel. The license contains radio-frequency microchipping that uniquely identifies you in CBP databases, which should promote a more expeditious cross. EDLs will be approved forms of identification, in full compliance with the new WHTI security measures.Same as your driver license, with enhanced security features. Currently only available in Washington State, Vermont, Michigan, and New York...'
  • Bruce Dorsi and Ryan313 have said thanks

#15 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,441 Thanks
  • 3,988 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 03:50 AM

When I read this topic it seemed easier for me to travel in the commie DDR with my car full of weapons - 20 years ago. Bill will understand what I mean :laughingteeth: