- - - - -

Where Do You Put The Garden Waste

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

• Member No: 10038
  • 4,676 Thanks
  • 4,224 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:25 PM

I have a pile of shreaded tree limbs, and when I have grass clippings, I add them to the pile. Right now it is just sitting in the middle of a small piece of property.
I do try to move the pile around once in a while with the push blade on the front of my Wheel Horse.
We do not have a garden, but would like to work up an area this fall and plan on one for next year.

#17 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:29 PM

We burn our garden waste...but I might till it under this year.

#18 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:11 PM

We add grass clippings as mulch during the summer and then till everything in except for the pumpkin vines after they are done producing.

#19 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,359 Thanks
  • 3,127 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:34 AM

Compost it and then till it in . Unless it has a fun gas like the tomatoes got a few years ago, that was bagged and sent to the landfill . As it was contagious and would come back if not removed. Also had to treat the soil too . I did that the hard way.... I moved lol.
  • speedyg said thank you

#20 grnspot110 OFFLINE  

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 829
  • 3,207 Thanks
  • 2,363 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 11:12 AM

I shred my garden waste & use a series of bins to compost. In the back of the picture from L-R: sawdust mulch bin, catch bin (for stuff to be shredded), shredding bin, composting bins, garden soi bin & sand bin. I till some of the material into the gardens before it is completely composted, as it will finish in the ground. ~~ Lowell

HPIM2089 - Copy.JPG

#21 Reverend Blair OFFLINE  

Reverend Blair

• Member No: 1659
  • 501 Thanks
  • 952 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 07:39 PM

I compost it, along with the kitchen waste, ashes from the fire pit, and left-over top-soil and/or manure from various projects. The result gets used mostly in the wife's flower beds.

For building nutrients in the garden, I use manure (mostly cow) and a four-way mix top soil that really helps with our clay soil. We just don't get enough compost to keep the garden productive in this soil/climate.

#22 MH81 OFFLINE  

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,696 Thanks
  • 28,341 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 08:53 PM

I always burn any weeds and the rest of the garden gets composted in a pile. Last years stuff has been composting along with some grass clippings and I plow them under or till them under. Come spring I retill or replow and till. It seems to work well for me. The potato plants go into the compost pile, but it's a year before they see the garden soil.