Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Where Do You Put The Garden Waste

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

Admirer of DEERE enjoyneering and design!

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10327
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:07 AM

In an older thread I found a discussion about herbicid residues in bought manure.

I think the best way to get good manure is composting the own garden waste. Sure, that´s not alternative for big farms.
But how does the american garden owner handle this, or better: do you compost your garden waste?!

#2 timtractor OFFLINE  

timtractor

• Contributor
  • Member No: 4824
  • 224 Thanks
  • 376 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:25 AM

When the garden stops producing, we cut or pull what is left and feed it to our herd of sheep. :orangecool:

That then produces manure for the garden for next year.
  • jd.rasentrac said thank you

#3 jms180 ONLINE  

jms180

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1266
  • 918 Thanks
  • 1,210 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 07:53 AM

I only have a small garden so i compost my plants after they stop producing. I just added some bean stalks last week.

#4 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,628 Thanks
  • 29,836 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:27 AM

All my garden residue gets ripped up & worked back into the soil, except for the broccoli plants, which I pull up being they are the first to play out. The corn gets mowed down with my JD F935 mower, as it tears it up real nice. Once everything has played out, garden gets mowed up again. Late in the Fall it gets plowed under. Later I use my FEL to spread the manure compost pile over the garden also. Then I might plow again in Spring.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:29 AM

I've used all the grass clippings I can produce to mulch the garden. So have not generated enough volume to start a compost pile. The grass clippings are tilled into the garden at the end of the season.
So I run the mower over the garden waste to chop it up and then till it in. The peelings and leaving from the wifes canning is spread on the garden and tiled in. Just last night I picked the last of the second planting of sweet corn and ran the mower over the stalks.Tonight I need to till it in.

I'm planning to do things a little different next year and only till the area where I actually plant.and leave grass walkways between(a form of strip farming?.) My garden is running across a hill, and the grass walk ways would help control erosion if I should get a Gully Washer(rain).
So I intend to sew rye grass over the entire garden this fall.

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 31, 2012 - 08:37 AM.

• twostep and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#6 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • Member No: 10410
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:48 AM

I was told potato plants are not good for putting into the garden soil. So i burn them in my fire pit..

#7 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Contributor
  • Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 08:49 AM

I till mine back in along with any grass clippings I or my neighbors collect. Actuall we just moved into our new place so I don't have a garden this year... the new place has about 30 over grown trees and shrubs that I've cut back so I'm burning all of that brush on the garden plot also. Then I plan to get a couple truck loads of compost or woods dirt (read: organic material!) to put on top of it soon. I'll plow that in and then sow some sort of a cover crop this fall.

#8 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:01 AM

Yes, we shred everything and compost it. The goat barn provides nice waste to compost as well for the gardens. The cows are free range so they do their thing as we move them from field to field. Any hay that comes onto my farm is from my neighbors farms ( I do 3 of them in hay) they have no pesticide usage either. Our growth rate is slower, without hormones and such, but I have a waiting list for buying our beef.
  • twostep and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#9 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 09:27 AM

I was told potato plants are not good for putting into the garden soil. So i burn them in my fire pit..

That's a thought and one I have not considered in 50 yrs of gardening(I'm counting the time where hoeing the garden was one of my chores as a kid). I've alway tilled them under. Now I would say that may be true if you have a problem with potato bugs that could winter over or if you had a problem with blight and you planted them in the same place every year. I never plant the same thing in the same area two years in a row.
By moving them around I think I avoid resident problems to take the crop the following year. But must admit the more I learn, the more aware I am of how little I know!!

Edited by JD DANNELS, July 31, 2012 - 09:31 AM.

• caseguy and jd.rasentrac have said thanks

#10 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:06 AM

But must admit the more I learn, the more aware I am of how little I know!!

Boy howdy i feel the same way... At 40 im still learning this garden thing. Been playing in the dirt for many years.. lots of the time it was one uncles or anothers that had a couple acre garden.. The one grouchy ole uncle has the nicest garden dirt i have ever seen...

#11 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 10:27 AM

The haulm will composte slowly and so we burned it outside in the field - years ago. But I think if you shred it, this will be no prob anymore.

Edited by jd.rasentrac, July 31, 2012 - 10:27 AM.

• Team_Green said thank you

#12 Team_Green OFFLINE  

Team_Green
  • 2,211 Thanks
  • 2,305 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 11:32 AM

The haulm will composte slowly and so we burned it outside in the field - years ago. But I think if you shred it, this will be no prob anymore.

I have been watching for a cheap shredder... I would love to make mulch out of a lot of things.

#13 JDGuy445 OFFLINE  

JDGuy445
  • Member No: 10419
  • 356 Thanks
  • 428 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 11:38 AM

Everything is buried under with the plow.

#14 jd.rasentrac OFFLINE  

jd.rasentrac

• Contributor
  • 4,442 Thanks
  • 3,989 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 11:57 AM

My composting area and the high tech equipment :rolling: The shredder wasn´t very expensive, nearly fourhundred Euro (I must ask my wife, she knows it all), but if it`s a real cheap gizmo, you can call it also a gimmick, from a DIY-store, then it is brand new scrap metal :wallbanging:

2012-07-31 17-59-57.jpg 2012-07-31 17-59-37.jpg

#15 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,450 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 12:08 PM

I let the neighbors throw there grass clippings and leaves on my compost pile along with weeds, old plants from the garden Team-Green I use on old rotary mower just for cutting up the bigger stuff like potato , tomato , peas, plants also even small woody clippings from the grapes, blueberries and raspberries get mulched up with the mower before going into the compost pile . For the kitchen waste I put them into a 10gl plastic bucket with a screw on lid , drilled holes in it . It doesn't compost well but keeps the dog from having leftovers lol . If I'm turning the pile with the tractor I'll try to put that at the bottom and bury it . Al

Attached Thumbnails

• P5270603.JPG

Edited by Alc, July 31, 2012 - 12:09 PM.