8 replies to this topic

#1 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• Member No: 9737
  • 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:08 PM

Bolens 1886, Eaton 12 hydrostatic transmission.

Theres something that has been bothering me. I have been told that its a common problem with hydrostatic transmission. When i put the trans in park the tractor will stop for a minute then start driving off on its own. For a guy like me that has the will but not the knowledge to fix this, im somewhat aprehensive. I dont want to start meddling with something as complicated as I think this transimission is without some reasuring from more experienced mecanics. Theres also a leak of hydro oil from the trans axle control arm that need be taken care of. Can anyone explain some basics to me has to how complicated this work is and what parts would need to be changed ?

Edited by hatedge, July 31, 2012 - 06:07 AM.

#2 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:54 PM

Your parking pal needs to be changed Its a simple thing to fix.
  • hatedge said thank you

#3 HowardsMF155 ONLINE  

HowardsMF155

Tractorholic

• Member No: 4243
  • 2,698 Thanks
  • 2,916 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:55 PM

I am not sure what hydrostatic is in my Massey, but it had a control arm leak also. I looked at the parts diagram on the AGCO site, and found that there were two "O" rings. Found one at my local hardware store, the other I was able to order. The worst parts were driving out the roll pin that held the control lever, then I had to buy special 12 point sockets because the retaining bolts for the cap were a special 12 point bolt. What tractor are you dealing with here, that might help someone give you specific advice.
  • hatedge said thank you

#4 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 05:21 AM

I think you are talking about the dreaded Hydro creep. I had that in my JD314 and it took me a while to get it fixed. You should check the linkage and clean/ lube it and repair or replace any worn parts.
  • hatedge said thank you

#5 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 06:05 AM

I am not sure what hydrostatic is in my Massey, but it had a control arm leak also. I looked at the parts diagram on the AGCO site, and found that there were two "O" rings. Found one at my local hardware store, the other I was able to order. The worst parts were driving out the roll pin that held the control lever, then I had to buy special 12 point sockets because the retaining bolts for the cap were a special 12 point bolt. What tractor are you dealing with here, that might help someone give you specific advice.

Its a Bolens 1886

#6 Ford100120 OFFLINE  

Ford100120
  • Member No: 9817
  • 0 Thanks
  • 14 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:41 PM

I would agree with JDBrian. My manual for my hydro talks about how to adjust for the creep. (Mine is Ford 120) If you got manual check see if it has a adjustments section.

#7 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 09:35 PM

I would agree with JDBrian. My manual for my hydro talks about how to adjust for the creep. (Mine is Ford 120) If you got manual check see if it has a adjustments section.

Sadly i dont have a manual. And to top it all I cannot find anyone 'round me who knows anything about them older Bolens :(

#8 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,373 Thanks
  • 39,644 posts

Posted August 25, 2012 - 11:38 PM

Here's a service manual for it:
http://gardentractor...service-manual/

#9 hatedge OFFLINE  

hatedge

Beer Guzzling Canuck

• 292 Thanks
  • 577 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 09:35 PM

oooohhhhhh yeaahhhhhhhh............thaat manual? I have that one , I had forgotten :bash: . Guess il get some reading done and take a moment to check out me manuals so not to go tellin you guys i dont have the one I need again. So-wy

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens, eaton 12, 1886