Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Cub Cadet 682 - $575 (mt. Sterling, Ky)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
20 replies to this topic

#16 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Congratulations on a really sharp looking 682. Those are great GT's. Very well taken care of by the looks of it.

#17 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• Member No: 10198
  • 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:02 PM

First off, I have the Kubota with the finish mower on the back that I will continue to use for about half the yard (no trees) but for another half I have about 25 trees/things to mow around. I've been using my craftsman but it's geared and I figure a hydro unit would be much faster. Went to look at it and the guy tells me on the way to the barn how much he loves the engine in this thing and how it just fires right up even if it's been sitting for a month. He slides open the door to his barn and I thought I was walking into heaven... First thing I see is an older 1250's headlights and IH staring at me (turns out it doesn't run, no spark but good compression :orangecool: ). Then I look to its right and there is a really nice 1200 with hub caps! To its right is a ford 8N. Then I look over and find the 682 sitting all pretty by it's self. Well after talking about the others I finally wonder over and start looking at her and impressed with how clean it is, as in oil leaks and such. The paint is maybe a couple years old but it doesn't seem to be covering up anything. Tin's are in great shape, deck looks good. He gives me the key and says "here fire it up and take it for a spin" so I put the key in and it says "rearrearrearrea..." Battery was just not enough to turn it over. The old fella was so embarrassed. So he went and got some cables, hooked it up to the 8n and she fired on the first hit. No smoke and it is quieter than my 12.5 Craftsman II and smooth as butter. No driveshaft vibe at full throttle and the the ammeter showed that it was charging so everything seems good. I pulled it out into the barn yard and hit the clutch switch and could hear that one or two of the spindles is a little sick. Mowed a little it did fine. I beat him down on the price a little for the battery and the spindles, and got him to delivery it (I was in my Jeep) which saved me about 100 miles driving and an afternoon. He tried to sell me a package deal with the 1250 but I told him the wife would kill me if I came home with both of them... Oh and while I was waiting for him to get the cables I was looking around and found a pretty decent Massey 7 that he said his dad bought new and really old JD that he said was a model L or something.

#18 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:05 PM

Good Luck!!! I hope you bring it home with you. Just make sure it has a Series 2 Kohler as the Series 1 had oiling problems and will often sieze. But WTH, at that price, bring it home anyway. :thumbs:

And yes, it's a series 2 :thumbs:

#19 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted July 31, 2012 - 06:20 PM

Nice 682, congrats on the find. By the serial number its a 1985 model. Sounds like he had a few other nice tractors. I'm not a JD guy but I've always liked the little John Deere L. The earlier unstyled ones they made in 37 and 38 in particular I like.

#20 twostep OFFLINE  

twostep

Rockstar

• 1,850 Thanks
  • 2,476 posts

Posted August 01, 2012 - 09:18 AM

Thanks IHcubguy. Can you point me to some links that show the serial numbers and manufacture dates or other detailed info?

#21 IHCubGuy OFFLINE  

IHCubGuy

Tractorholic

• Member No: 3438
  • 1,356 Thanks
  • 1,474 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:40 PM

A lot of info can be taken from Hank Wills book "cub cadet the first 45 years". It has been revised though to "cub cadet the first 50 years".

Also this site has a wealth of info on Cubs

http://www.cubcadetc...m/downloads.php

I frequent there quite a lot and have been a member there for a number of years.