jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:20 PM

Went to Michigan with the wife this weekend, first time away in a looong time. If we didn't have non-refundable deposits probably wouldn't have gone. Started the trip with the confirmation that the town job is for sure over as of Aug 9th. (building new buildings but non union instructors go first in consolidation movement). Stuck at home on un-expected things, left two hours late and after 10 hours of driving thru Cleveland, Toledo, and then Detroit rush hour and related construction zones had NOT improved my disposition any. Just finished a call with my son that we had another rip-snorting storm at home with trees down power out etc. again! So I wasn't in the best frame of mind when I met Bill near Waters MI. He had come a good distance out of his way to delivery the Ohio Steel plow that I bought from him some time back. As Will said the other day "there really are some neat folks into GT's. Bill is one of those neat guys. A few minutes of GT talking and life gets better... We were shooting the breeze as guys will do and got onto the EZ-GO golf cart that I have here at the farm. (just started using it this year after knee surgery, had it for about 10yrs came with some other auction stuff) I asked him about oil cause these things are one of his areas of expertise. "Amosil full synthetic mix it just like your Stihl, but make sure you keep the valves adjusted regularly, or it'll just wipe the lobes off the cam !" Fast forward two more days alone with the wife having a great time picking up GT parts along the way as we visit the UP and Whitefish and the Soo locks and the Uppers Falls and Lower Falls, lots of neat places...p/u full of GT stuff by the time I got home today. I'm driving down M123 and just start laughing myself silly. The wife figures there was something in that last coffee stop, I actually had to pull over I was laughing so hard. Bill you got me... :rofl2: I was so overstressed with all the politics at work that it took 2 days !! to click :rofl2: Hope, I see you at Daniels this fall. :thumbs:
  • HDWildBill said thank you

#2 HDWildBill ONLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,712 Thanks
  • 8,564 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:30 PM

Cool story, it is amazing how meeting someone else that has the same interest as you can just turn things around. Glad you had a good time.

#3 grand OFFLINE  

grand

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8
  • 1,632 Thanks
  • 1,909 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:18 PM

It is really great to read your story and learn what had started as a really horrible day and trip with traffic, ended up bringing such joy. Thank you for sharing such a great story.

#4 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:39 PM

That is a great story! I am glad it turned around! Thanks for sharing!

#5 wilberj ONLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,213 Thanks
  • 5,218 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:46 PM

You most likely went by me let me know next time your up this way.. I dont mind talking to another GT guy.

#6 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:02 PM

That is great that a GT member was able to help bring you so much joy and happiness!

#7 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 02:45 PM

Jim,
Got back from camping this morning and just read your post. When I read the "but make sure you keep the valves adjusted regularly, or it'll just wipe the lobes off the cam !" part I immediately realized that I "misspoke" since the two cycle Robin engine, like most other two cycle engines, does not have valves, cams or lobes. The twin cylinder four cycle Robin engines were hard on camshafts and rocker arms though which is the biggest reason E-Z-Go went to single cylinder Kawasaki engines a couple of years ago.

.I am sorry for passing along incorrect information, just a brain fart I guess. It was great meeting you and hope to see you in Kentucky.

Thanks,

#8 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,319 Thanks
  • 28,636 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 05:41 PM

Jim, Bill, glad you guys got the chance to chew the fat a little.
Any drive of over 1 mile that ends with a smile is a good drive.

#9 jpackard56 OFFLINE  

jpackard56

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7225
  • 1,768 Thanks
  • 1,407 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 07:47 PM

Jim,
Got back from camping this morning and just read your post. When I read the "but make sure you keep the valves adjusted regularly, or it'll just wipe the lobes off the cam !" part I immediately realized that I "misspoke" since the two cycle Robin engine, like most other two cycle engines, does not have valves, cams or lobes. The twin cylinder four cycle Robin engines were hard on camshafts and rocker arms though which is the biggest reason E-Z-Go went to single cylinder Kawasaki engines a couple of years ago.

.I am sorry for passing along incorrect information, just a brain fart I guess. It was great meeting you and hope to see you in Kentucky.

Thanks,

But Bill, that was the funny part !! I thought you were having some fun with me cause obviously my mind was wrapped around the axle over my work issue...It took me TWO full days to realize that my Robin wouldn't have any cam lobes, I'm still :rofl2:about it. It was really nice to meet up and yes I still hope to make KY, just not sure about the cost of travel.
I did pick up the 12 hp Cub with creeper, new clutch, throw out assembly and brackets, new starter and some other new parts all installed,( fella that had it apparently gave up and sold it to the guy I got it from who bought it only for the vac-system that was attached to it) He happens to be a JD follower and didn't want to bust up the Cub even though he could have made a nice profit on the parts alone. Got a 44A deck with good bearings (needs a wheel bracket straightened and welded) and some other Cub stuff along the way. Either NOS QL side panel retaining bolts ( you know the funny wing nut style heads) or somebody had old ones plated (look really sweet)...anyway good stuff along the travels of a great little vacation with the wife. About the time we cleared Toledo on the way home she was trying to figure the logistics of the KY trip and thinks she would like to come along !! The Ohio Steel plow was pretty crowded in that little pick up by Sunday ( we stopped a lot of places, many where we had to leave the p/u for long periods of time and either everybody passing by thought "what a bunch of junk" or God was protecting my "junk" cause nary a bolt was missing.

For everybody else reading this I want to be very clear I was completely o.k. with the idea that I thought Bill was pulling my chain, but he claims it was a mistake...it takes a real man to admit a mistake on a public forum, so kudos to you Bill !! For me this places Bill solidly on the list of "good guys that can be trusted" :thumbs:
  • GTTinkerer said thank you

#10 GTTinkerer OFFLINE  

GTTinkerer

GT Tinkerer

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1564
  • 1,153 Thanks
  • 1,326 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:20 PM

Jim,
The trip to Daniel's plow day will take care of my tractor fund for the year since it will be around 1200 miles round trip plus a couple hundred more driving around while down there. Well worth it though since my wife and I will get to visit Ft Knox while in the area which is something we have tried to work in for the past few years. We were stationed there for 7 of my 21 years in the Army. If it wasn't for the 6 kids and 16 grandkids all living up north we would be living in that part of the country. I will be bringing along a few items to try to sell cheap to help cover part of the gas bill.