6 replies to this topic

#1 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I picked up this Gibson SD early last year. It was in sad, sad shape. It hadn't run in many, many years, and the loaded rear tires had leaked for years and completely destroyed a bunch of stuff. I completely disassembled it, fixed it up, put it back together, painted it, got it running like a top, and finally put the new decals on today. It didn't get a full restoration job, but it sure did get a major freshening up. I included a couple "before" pictures, and then a few "after" pictures. I still have a few small things to do to it yet, but those I'll get around to doing at some point.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN3000.JPG
  • DSCN3002.JPG
  • DSCN2603.JPG
  • DSCN2604.JPG
  • DSCN2607.JPG

• Utah Smitty said thank you

#2 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:26 PM

That looks good! Can't say I've ever seen one of those before. Great job on the refurb! What size is the engine?

#3 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 04:40 PM

thats one nice little tractor. you did a great job refurbing it.
like kenny i never seen one

#4 jtrojek OFFLINE  

jtrojek
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 8084
  • 1,008 Thanks
  • 546 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:08 PM

That looks good! Can't say I've ever seen one of those before. Great job on the refurb! What size is the engine?

The engine is a Wisconsin AEH and is rated at 6hp (5.9 @ 2200) in most places I look, although I've seen some other hp numbers as well, depending on the RPMs. The engine weighs a ton, and I mean a ton. It's a huge 6hp for a 1940s 4-stroke (3" bore, 3 1/4" stroke). It mates up to a Borg Warner T-96 3-speed transmission, used in various old cars and trucks. The rear end in it is a pretty serious and proper little tractor rear end with independent rear brakes. I'm guessing the rear end alone weighs around 250lbs.
  • KennyP said thank you

#5 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,392 Thanks
  • 39,654 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:34 PM

Sounds like a pretty serious tractor. Thanks for all the specs on it. I hope it serves you well!

#6 Wheel Horse Kid OFFLINE  

Wheel Horse Kid

Certified Wheel Horse Nut

• GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10019
  • 213 Thanks
  • 817 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:04 PM

Cool looking tractor and well done restoration!

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 17, 2012 - 09:57 PM

I picked up this Gibson SD early last year. It was in sad, sad shape. It hadn't run in many, many years, and the loaded rear tires had leaked for years and completely destroyed a bunch of stuff. I completely disassembled it, fixed it up, put it back together, painted it, got it running like a top, and finally put the new decals on today. It didn't get a full restoration job, but it sure did get a major freshening up. I included a couple "before" pictures, and then a few "after" pictures. I still have a few small things to do to it yet, but those I'll get around to doing at some point.

Those are neat old tractors... They were made in Longmont, Colorado, so you don't see many of them back east, but they were fairly popular here. Here's a couple pictures of some other Gibsons--my grandson got silly when I asked him to pose with them...

2012-07-13_13-54-13_54.jpg 2012-07-13_11-39-38_299.jpg

2012-07-13_13-54-48_314.jpg 2012-07-13_13-54-01_726.jpg 2012-07-13_13-54-13_54.jpg 2012-07-13_13-54-27_571.jpg
You'll notice that some of the Gibsons didn't have a steering wheel, just a lever on the right hand side that turned the wheels... almost reminiscent of the early horseless carriage.

The transmissions came from different sources--I've seen them from GM and Chrysler cars.

The drive is via several V-belts to a sprocket, which drove a chain and sprocket attached to the front of the transmission. Gear ratios were reduced a couple times before it got to the transmission.

The rear end was proprietary to Gibson, and pretty tough--the brakes were inside the outboard housings... I can't remember if they have a ring and pinion gear set or a worm drive.

My friend restored these. He ran a repair business for years that specialized in garden tractors and tillers. His wife kept trying to get him to quit, but he loved it, even though his health was failing. One day she got the kids and a trailer and hauled thousands of dollars' worth of old engines, gear drives, tractor parts, wheels, etc to the scrap yard... I came upon it just as they were starting to leave... I could have cried...

Edited by Utah Smitty, August 17, 2012 - 10:06 PM.