18 replies to this topic

#16 Deereman112 OFFLINE  

Deereman112
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10425
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Does this seem to be a common problem with these models?
Alot of ones I seen at shows had cracks in the front of the hoods.

Alot of these hoods have cracks at the corners of the hoods because of how the hoods need to be streched in order to be put on and off of the tractor. Seems to me that it is pretty hard to fix these and not have them crack again, if indeed your crack is in the corner. But the advise these guys have given you is very good indeed.

#17 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Trav1s

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,602 Thanks
  • 3,750 posts

Posted August 04, 2012 - 09:07 PM

Alot of these hoods have cracks at the corners of the hoods because of how the hoods need to be streched in order to be put on and off of the tractor. Seems to me that it is pretty hard to fix these and not have them crack again, if indeed your crack is in the corner. But the advise these guys have given you is very good indeed.

I was told the trick is to loosen the lower hood support bolts to allow the install without flexing the hood. Have not tested it but the idea does make sense to me.

#18 Deereman112 OFFLINE  

Deereman112
  • GTt Junior
  • Member No: 10425
  • 1 Thanks
  • 5 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 06:19 PM

I was told the trick is to loosen the lower hood support bolts to allow the install without flexing the hood. Have not tested it but the idea does make sense to me.

Yes loosening the carage bolts on the bottom of the support will allow it to compress some, but the upright to the hood slips into brackets welded onto the frame, limiting the total amount of movement you can get by loosening the bolts.

#19 Tennblue59 OFFLINE  

Tennblue59

Tractorholic

• Member No: 6000
  • 450 Thanks
  • 522 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 01:06 PM

You can also use thin board (luan or thin plywood) sandwiched on the underside of the repair with another coat of fiberglass mat or cloth to strengthen the area - not so much the board itself but the box that the fiberglass makes is stronger than the sheet by itself. On my 110 hood, the area where the latch mounts on the rear underside was broken out and showed cracking. I added a support plate under the repair - also better to mount screws into.

And while it goes unsaid..... Fiberglass dust is very bad for the lungs and eyes. Be sure to wear a dust mask and goggles when working. I usually wear long sleeves and gloves to keep from itching afterwards. Another trick you can use is to strategically place a shop fan set on high to blow the dust AWAY from you - stand upwind of the work as you grind...
And is hard on the tools as well, especailly grinders and motors - make sure to blow them out afterward.
  • WHdbJD said thank you