Nominations for Tractor of the Month
Garden Tractors and Parts on eBay

Photo
- - - - -

Ford Lgt 165 With Mower And Tiller--what's It Worth?

ford lgt tiller value

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5557
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 01:56 AM

There is a Ford LGT 165 for sale near here. It appears to be in great shape, and has a mower deck and a tiller. The guy is asking $1,600.00

That seems pretty high. What is it worth??? I'm thinking maybe $1,000 at most.

Your feedback would be appreciated.

Steve

http://www.ksl.com/?...&search=tractor

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:44 AM

I think it's over priced. But does look pretty good. Some of the tiller tines look bent, but may just be the angle of the pic. The engine serial makes about a 1980 model!
  • Utah Smitty said thank you

#3 skyrydr2 OFFLINE  

skyrydr2

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5032
  • 3,413 Thanks
  • 3,163 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:41 AM

Its been re painted too so I would be weary of that as well. No guard on the tiller driveshaft either. $1000 I think is still a lot . More like $800.

#4 IamSherwood OFFLINE  

IamSherwood

Elf guardian

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2066
  • 8,379 Thanks
  • 7,696 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:50 AM

Looks like it's in good shape. His ask price is too high though.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 05:52 AM

Even up here where GT's go for higher prices that would be a bit high. A lot depends on condition and how it runs. Things always seem to look better in pictures.

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:18 PM

I would have to agree with the $800. Hearing it run and driving it would help to establish the price.

#7 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:03 PM

Thanks to all the chimed in... I've been impressed with what I've seen of the Ford tractors... I really want to end up getting a GT with a loader, and another for general use. I'm also seriously considering building a truckster out of a couple Cub Cadet Hydro's I have...

My first choice for a GT with FEL would be one of the Case 600 series or the Ingersoll equivalent. I do have a Case 444, but I don't think the frame or axles are as strong on it as a 644, if I'm mistaken, please let me know.

My second choice would be a toss up between a Ford LGT 165/195 and one of the Case 400 series.

After that I'm not sure. I like my Sears GT, but am not a big fan of belt drive tractors--they seem to have more maintenance-- belts, pulleys/idlers, etc.

Anyway, again, thanks for your input.

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 29, 2012 - 11:04 PM.

#8 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 11:29 PM

The later model Ford tractors like the lgt165's are nice looking tractors. Come with 2spd hydros and power lift. I just purchased another Lister-Petters air cooled diesel and am strongly considering the Ford 165 as a new home for it. The way the frame drops in the front gives a lot more room for the conversion.
Good luck with your Truckster project if you decide to go with it.

#9 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 01:38 PM

The later model Ford tractors like the lgt165's are nice looking tractors. Come with 2spd hydros and power lift. I just purchased another Lister-Petters air cooled diesel and am strongly considering the Ford 165 as a new home for it. The way the frame drops in the front gives a lot more room for the conversion.
Good luck with your Truckster project if you decide to go with it.

What did you pay for for your L-P Diesel???

Someone here on the message board did a diesel conversion on a Ford LGT...

#10 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 04:05 PM

$250.00 with tax. I think I paid $175.00 for the first one which 4xx hours on it. This one has 269 but is leaking back through the intake valve. Had the bottom end open and looked new so now I will pull the head and see what's up. Lister told me they can run up to 40,000 hours without an overhaul. Sounds like a lot to me.

#11 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 04:17 PM

Someone here on the message board did a diesel conversion on a Ford LGT...

That was Keith who replied in this thread. He did an awesome job!
skyrydr2

#12 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 09:57 PM

$250.00 with tax. I think I paid $175.00 for the first one which 4xx hours on it. This one has 269 but is leaking back through the intake valve. Had the bottom end open and looked new so now I will pull the head and see what's up. Lister told me they can run up to 40,000 hours without an overhaul. Sounds like a lot to me.

What's your source for them?? When I get my current collection cleaned out, I'm going to look at getting a tractor with a loader. And want to build a Truckster--maybe with diesel power.

Steve

Edited by Utah Smitty, July 30, 2012 - 09:58 PM.

#13 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • 4,499 Thanks
  • 5,025 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 10:10 PM

Craig's list mostly. This last one was listed on K-bid. They come out of Hi-Way traffic control signs that are used in construction zones. Used to run an alternator that keeps the batteries charged. Those signs also come with other brands of diesels in them. I just happened to end up with 2 of these. Parts support is very good. I haven't needed any yet but I think that will change with this one.

#14 Utah Smitty OFFLINE  

Utah Smitty

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 1,643 Thanks
  • 1,746 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 10:21 PM

Well, I checked back on the tractor and the guy hadn't sold it yet--so, I went up to look at it. The pictures make it look 15 years younger...the seat is original Ford Blue, but has big cracks and tears. The paint is all Ford blue, including that brushed over the decals on the rear and the fenders.

The engine leaks oil--not a lot, but noticeable; ditto for the hydro. The engine did start good and no smoke, however.

I drove it and was impressed with it... The only other small hydro tractors I've driven are Cub Cadets with the lever on the dash. This one had plenty of power and the tiller worked well, although it was noisy when running in the up position.

When driving, I noticed it tends to creep to the rear... also, when you start out, especially in High Range, it shudders a little--almost like an oil-soaked clutch... not sure if that is something to be concerned about or not.

The mower deck was in very good shape--no rust, tight spindles, etc. The inside has been repainted or coated with bed liner, etc. as it had no rust either.

We chewed the fat for a while--discussing tractors, city hall and live in general. I finally asked him how firm he was on the $1,500 price. He said he'd come down a couple hundred dollars is all. We chatted for a few more minutes and I left.

After looking at it, I'd say he has the price too high by about $600- $800 dollars... I think I'll just see if I can get my Ford LGT running...

FWIW,

US

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,461 Thanks
  • 39,690 posts

Posted August 22, 2012 - 05:05 AM

Not sure what the shudder was, but the creep is a minor adjustment. I'm with you on the price, especially on one that is painted like that and a few oil leaks showing.