• Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,246 Thanks
  • 29,700 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 08:44 PM

Mowing with my John Deere F932 last week, as I raised the deck to mow high over a cement base, the left caster's retaining bolt had come out & I didn't see it in time. The entire caster assembly got eaten by the blades. The 6' deck spit it out the discharge like so much of nothing! The steel frame just got scratched, but the tire with a just one week old tube got sliced in 2 places, and it ripped the rim to trash.

DSC00026.JPG DSC00027.JPG

I got my replacement today. Foam filled assembly complete with needle roller bearings. No more flats on this side of the deck. $113 w/shipping, but still cheaper than OE John Deere, and built to JD specs.

DSC00025.JPG DSC00028.JPG

Oh, and the blades were not damaged at all!

#2 Trav1s OFFLINE  

Got points?

• Member No: 5472
  • 2,586 Thanks
  • 3,739 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:23 PM

Be afraid of the blade!

#3 Michiganmobileman OFFLINE  

Old Tractor Addict

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5678
  • 1,235 Thanks
  • 1,842 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 09:51 PM

Sounds like it could have been much worse for you Daniel. At least it didnt go through a window or the side of the house.

Lost in Cyber Space

• Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 3
  • 10,248 Thanks
  • 15,613 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 10:02 PM

I bet that was loud as heck going through the deck. Glad to hear the deck and blades are still in good shape.

#5 JDBrian OFFLINE  

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 05:35 AM

As said, that could have been much worse. That's a big item to go through a deck and not damage the deck. The blades must be made of pretty good stuff to inflict that damage on the rim without breaking or bending. Having the deck raised probably saved you from more damage.

#6 KennyP OFFLINE  

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 27,663 Thanks
  • 39,046 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 06:28 AM

I run lots of things through a deck before, but never a wheel! I noticed you put a new bolt and nut holding it on there. Using one that won't go flat is a good idea too.

God Bless Those Who Served

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 26,697 Thanks
  • 28,342 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 06:57 AM

Wow Daniel. That's a lot of damage! Good news that the deck survived.

BTW, My first thought was "Geez, I know he's out of practice mowing, but wow..."

#8 massey driver OFFLINE  

massey driver

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 75
  • 1,055 Thanks
  • 1,436 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 07:00 AM

Not trying to highjack you post Dan just letting people know how stuff can fly from the deck.

Funny how things like that can happen.Did that with my massey mower when I first got it.Can you belive that all they had holding the pivioting wheel on was a snap ring.Guess the ring let go and the wheel went underneath and out the chute.Sure made lots of noise it also didn't do any damage to blades or the deck either.The wheel just had a chunk taken out [solid wheel] and the part that holds the wheel had a chip.Needless to say I changed how they are held on.I still kept the snap ring but also put a 1/2" bolt in from the underside just incase the snap ring let go. Yeah the blades are pretty tough stuff. Me and the little guy looked about a hour untill we found the wheel across the road in the other ditch.I was on a trail along the road with 15 feet of bush between me and the road never figured it to have gone across the road.Good thing there was no traffic at the time.Larry.

Edited by massey driver, July 28, 2012 - 07:06 AM.

• olcowhand said thank you