• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 08:59 AM

Wow, that runs pretty well! It sounded like you were a bit concerned when you first picked it up whether it would run at all, let alone drive. Congrats on a great find! Can't wait to see it when you're done if you're going to restore it. Looks like you do have a couple of rust holes on it to patch up unfortunately... :(

This looks kind of like a newer version of the little rider that you have, Bolens 1000, the Green Brier? Can you tell us a bit more about these two? Was the Green Brier the first small riding mower Bolens made in the late 1950's to early 1960's and the suburban mower here was made in the late 1960's-1970's? They are pretty neat little riding mowers and it's good to see them up and running again!

The Green Brier is about 6-8 years older than this Suburban Model. Bolens had quite a few of these small riding mowers in the 50's. These Suburbans made in the 60's are probably the most common of the riding mowers and there seem to be quite a few of these around (Not really rare). They made these particular Suburbans from 66'-69' then they stopped making them as I'm guessing the small frame Bolens kind of took their place as the next "little mower".

I believe this one pictured below was one of the first ones they made. Maybe one of these days I will find one.......

Attached Thumbnails

• i 001.JPG

• Bolens1054 and MailmAn have said thanks

#17 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:03 AM

I believe this one pictured below was one of the first ones they made. Maybe one of these days I will find one.......

Well, if they're not really rare at all and there are plenty around, it should be fairly easy to get one I would think! :smilewink:

Thanks for the info, Doc! You're always a good source for information!

#18 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:16 AM

Well, if they're not really rare at all and there are plenty around, it should be fairly easy to get one I would think! :smilewink:

Thanks for the info, Doc! You're always a good source for information!

I was talking about the suburbans from the 60's......
These Suburbans are not something you can just go out and find any day though. I guess maybe I'm too picky on what should be considered rare ??? :confuse:
I know I've seen a good 10-15 of them on forums over the past couple years and if you figure all the ones that people have that do not go online there still are probably quite a few out there.
  • Bolens1054 said thank you

#19 Bruce Dorsi OFFLINE  

Bruce Dorsi

Old, but not dead -- yet!

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1525
  • 3,172 Thanks
  • 2,143 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:38 AM

no ID marks any where it is a 5 HP Briggs

Have you found the B&S engine numbers? ....They should be stamped into the side of the flywheel shroud, just above the exhaust port. ....There should be model- type- code(or serial) numbers. .....If the hood is over the engine, these numbers may not be easily visible.

Once you have the B&S engine numbers, the Bolens model # of your rider can be pinpointed.
  • Bolens 1000 and Bolens1054 have said thanks

#20 Bolens1054 OFFLINE  

Bolens1054

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5772
  • 11 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 04:40 PM

Have you found the B&S engine numbers? ....They should be stamped into the side of the flywheel shroud, just above the exhaust port. ....There should be model- type- code(or serial) numbers. .....If the hood is over the engine, these numbers may not be easily visible.

Once you have the B&S engine numbers, the Bolens model # of your rider can be pinpointed.

I will check that out . Thanks . I will be taking it all apart over the next couple days to clean and prep for paint . I will try to do a step by step photo break down . I am going to have it painted at a shop. Still looking for the handle for deck height and grill and side chute.

#21 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,748 Thanks
  • 7,698 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 06:00 PM

Cute little bugger. It would take a year to mow my yard with that.

#22 Bolens1054 OFFLINE  

Bolens1054

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5772
  • 11 Thanks
  • 35 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 10:19 PM

The Green Brier is about 6-8 years older than this Suburban Model. Bolens had quite a few of these small riding mowers in the 50's. These Suburbans made in the 60's are probably the most common of the riding mowers and there seem to be quite a few of these around (Not really rare). They made these particular Suburbans from 66'-69' then they stopped making them as I'm guessing the small frame Bolens kind of took their place as the next "little mower".

That one in the pic appears to have the same transmission set up as the Subruban. Is the Green Brier the same as well?

#23 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 12,681 Thanks
  • 17,203 posts

Posted August 16, 2012 - 08:45 AM

That one in the pic appears to have the same transmission set up as the Subruban. Is the Green Brier the same as well?

After looking, most of these riders used the same transmission. I believe yours should have the newer style gears in it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bolens