#16 wilberj OFFLINE  

wilberj
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 51
  • 4,179 Thanks
  • 5,205 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:27 AM

Some peaple think steel is gold sometimes....
  • MailmAn said thank you

#17 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • Member No: 10315
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:38 AM

Asking $700.00 for that is insane.

So, do you think $200 is a good price for it then or is that even a bit much? I was thinking of offering him that to see if he'd bite. Worst he can do is not sell it to me!

Shucks, mine isn't worth that. I got mine for $800.00, but it also came with a sleeve hitch, AND a 1256.

So, basically you bought a good 1256 tractor that happened to come with a Trac Vac attached to it? What is a sleeve hitch though?

He seems to think that his stuff is worth more than it is.
The Flail-Mo needs a LOT of work, and he want's $300.00 for it.
I passed.

So, what would the Flail-Mo be worth in the shape it is in? Like $100-$150 or so at most? I can't tell what it looks like since it is off in the distance in that pic. Have you stopped by or seen his stuff before to know the condition of the mower? Or you're just going by all the rust on the top and the fact it has been "stored" in a tall, grassy field for who knows how long? lol... You think that tube frame sickle-bar mower is only worth about $200 or so as well?

Also, what do you think is overall a more useful attachment for taking down a variety of tall brush? The Flail-Mo or the Sickle Bar? The sickle bar does look like it would work better at cleaning out ditches and hilly areas as opposed to the front-mount flail-mo. But, the flail-mo looks like it could be used with the regular mowing deck possibly to knock down tall weeds first and then finish mow in one pass? (Or does the flail-mo use too much power off the engine as it is to run it?)

I guess I'm trying to think of the best option to make my mower more versatile so I can use it to mow lawns with tall weeds or to clean out ditches and tall hills with ease.

I love the reel mower you have for the front of your 800 as well, OB. I'll bet that does a really nice job finish mowing. Golf courses use gang reel mowers to mow fairways and such...

#18 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:00 PM

I'd say that $200.00 would be a fair price for that Trac-Vac.

Realistically, from what he told me about it, the Flail-Mo is probably only worth @ $150.00 just for the parts. He said that the shaft is frozen up, one of the caster wheels is frozen up, and it's missing some parts.

I'd say the tube frame Sickle-Mo would be worth $300.00 tops, and would need to be in good, ready to use condition.

As for which one would be more useful, I'd say the Sickle-Mo. It can mow in places that the Flail-Mo can't.

One advantage that the Flail-Mo has is that it will shred up what you cut, where the Sickle-Mo just lets it lay there. The other advantage for the Flail-Mo is that in the fall, it will turn leaves into dust, so you wouldn't have to pick them up.

A sleeve hitch, which should more properly be called a 1-pt hitch, is for using implements like plows, discs,cultivators, etc. It allows for an attachment to be used across many different tractor brands instead of having to have 'brand specific' implements.

Sleeve hitches come in a lot of different shapes, depending on what tractor they are for, but the attachment point for the implement is always the same.

Heres some pics of what the sleeve hitch for the Bolens tube frames looks like, and a pic of an attachment mounted on it, and a good look at the hitch end of a plow.

100_3995.jpg 100_4101.jpg 100_4110.jpg

Edited by OldBuzzard, July 29, 2012 - 02:23 PM.

• Newpaws493 and MailmAn have said thanks

#19 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:26 PM

Realistically, from what he told me about it, the Flail-Mo is probably only worth @ $150.00 just for the parts. He said that the shaft is frozen up, one of the caster wheels is frozen up, and it's missing some parts.

Awww... that sucks. I was hoping that it would be more complete and spin freely to at least be a good candidate to get into working condition!

I'd say the tube frame Sickle-Mo would be worth $300.00 tops, and would need to be in good, ready to use condition.
As for which one would be more useful, I'd say the Sickle-Mo. It can mow in places that the Flail-Mo can't.

Good to know. I might see if I can get him down then on the sickle-mo? Or just keep an eye out for a better/cheaper one?

One advantage that the Flail-Mo has is that it will shred up what you cut, where the Sickle-Mo just lets it lay there. The other advantage for the Flail-Mo is that in the fall, it will turn leaves into dust, so you wouldn't have to pick them up.

I did like this aspect of the flail-mo as well, that it does a better job of cutting and grinding up the grass and brush than the sickle-mo.

A sleeve hitch, which should more properly be called a 1-pt hitch, is for using implements like plows, discs,cultivators, etc. It allows for an attachment to be used across many different tractor brands instead of having to have 'brand specific' implements.

Ah, good to know. That does look like it could be useful. You're right, it does look more like a 1-point hitch, basically. It looks like the hitch for that cultivator is supposed to just attach to the hitch mount on the back of the Bolens with a hitch pin, but then you wouldn't be able to tilt the cultivator to transport it when you didn't want to dig up the ground. So, it seems like the sleeve hitch would accomplish that as well. How much do they go for and how hard are they to find? Just out of curiosity...

Also, on a side note, looks like I found someone selling a Brinly lawn sweeper for WAY less that that Trac-Vac. IDK much about them, but Brinly WAS the manufacturer of that dump wheelbarrow I saw posted on here a while back as well, right? Of course, this is a newer one that I guess they sell at Home Depot and Sears currently. Is Brinly still a good brand and worth buying? Should this lawn sweeper do as good a job at picking up lawn clippings as the Trac-Vac? I'm thinking of buying it instead, unless the guy would REALLY come down in price on the Trac-Vac.... Does it look like the Trac-Vac he has could be adapted to work with a larger cart like yours, OB?

#20 OldBuzzard ONLINE  

OldBuzzard

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 805
  • 6,478 Thanks
  • 4,632 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 09:38 PM

Brinly is a very good brand.

#21 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 08:17 PM

I think I may go for the Brinly as it is much cheaper!! I E-mailed the guy back about the Trac-Vac and said I thought he was asking too much for it IMO and I couldn't see paying more than $200 at most for it, especially since IDK if it even runs or works or not without looking at it. He E-mailed back and told me it does run and works great, but that he couldn't POSSIBLY let it go for any less than $500 at the very least! So, I guess he's not going to let it go then and I'm not going to get it!! I didn't even want to pay $200 for it, honestly, and was thinking I'd like to get it for like $100-$150... Oh well, might try to get that lawn sweeper next then...

#22 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 07:17 AM

Of course, just after I got the Brinly sweeper, I found this on eBay:

http://www.ebay.com/...984.m1423.l2649

But since originally seeing it listed for $100 starting bid, it has been bid up to over $300 already. What is a good price for one of these? I know Old Buzzard paid $800 for a Bolens 1256 with a big Trac-Vac like this on it, but what do you think the vac is worth by itself? Is $300-$400 about the cut-off? I'm thinking I'll probably have to pass on this one already, unfortunately. I'm sure you can fit a TON of grass and leaves in one of these compared with the smaller one listed above.

Besides this one, I also found a guy on Craigslist out in CT selling a Trac-Vac tow-behind trailer like this one. He says it is orange with a black top, but doesn't have any photos of it. He's asking $300 or B/O. I might be able to pick that one up for cheaper... assuming it runs and all.

I like the capacity of the large trailer, but I don't like that it looks like it would inhibit the tractor's mobility a lot. I'd assume the smaller Trac-Vac is more maneuverable and would more easily fit on the back of my truck or on a small trailer. I'd need a much bigger trailer to haul around the big cart.

#23 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 09:38 PM

:anyone: :confuse: :unsure:

#24 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 09:59 PM

IMO, it often boils down to whether you just want it or gotta have it. Sometimes a seller is more flexible in person and merely wants the most he can get and/or find a good home. Harder to smell cash at a distance.

#25 Bolens 1000 ONLINE  

Bolens 1000

DR. Bolens

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7
  • 12,668 Thanks
  • 17,196 posts

Posted August 09, 2012 - 05:43 AM

:ditto:

I would say it depends on how bad you want/need it.

#26 MailmAn OFFLINE  

MailmAn
  • 292 Thanks
  • 723 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 08:00 AM

Hmmm... seems I didn't win the auction for this one. It ended up going for $345, but something tells me that if I had tried to actually get it that it would have gone over $400 easily before I would have had a winning bid on it. As it is, I stopped bidding at $325. Oh well, I'll keep looking and maybe something else will turn up... hopefully at a time when I have more money too. I've been spending way too much already as it is on this tractor - paint supplies, parts to fix it up, snowblowers, lawn sweepers, etc., etc.... I still have to buy decals for it yet too... That'll be another $200 probably...

Edited by MailmAn, August 10, 2012 - 08:00 AM.

#27 Newpaws493 OFFLINE  

Newpaws493
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9454
  • 1,150 Thanks
  • 1,691 posts

Posted August 10, 2012 - 02:20 PM

Hmmm... more money too. I've been spending way too much already as it is on this tractor - paint supplies, parts to fix it up, snowblowers, lawn sweepers, etc., etc....

AHHhhhh now there's the rub, Every day can be a fishing day, but not every day is a catching day. When the pockets are right and opportunity knocks, those tend to be more ideal conditions.
  • MailmAn said thank you