#1 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• Member No: 382
  • 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 03:31 PM

On my 317, the Fuel Pump went out.Posted Image
Took Battery and tray out. Cleaned and painted tray, then painted with Rustoleum Rubber Spray Sealer.
Located and mounted the pump. Had a little concern about Fuel Filter location. Wanted it mounted before the pump, but didn't want to locate it back on the frame, just after the shutoff valve. Too hard to get to! So I left it under the battery and had a piece of left over Tygon Tubing from a different project, fastened that to filter and then was able to flex it to hook to pump without kinking the line!!
Wired up to the Aux plug on the Light switch with a 5 amp Fuse.
Remounted the tray, hooked up the Battery, put side covers on. Turned the key and let the pump run maybe 10 seconds, and she RUNS!!! Originally I used the Tygon hose from Filter to pump, not from pump up to Carb. About half way thru 1st mowing it stared acting like it was starving for Fuel. Well, just the heat under the battery box was enough to let the Tygon tubing bend/kink on itself even tho I had a good loop. So I ended up putting regular rubber gas line on. Now it runs perfect! Tygon is great for Weedeaters and 2 cycle equipment, but I wouldn't use it on a Tractor!
Here are some pics!07-17-12_0834.jpg 07-17-12_0841.jpg 07-17-12_1046.jpg fuelpump.jpg
  • Bolens 1000, olcowhand and middleageddeere have said thanks

#2 olcowhand ONLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,648 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 03:52 PM

I've used a pump like that before & got years of service. I've been using Mr Gasket 42S pumps the last few years & like them really well also. Thanks for the Tygon tip.

#3 Cat385B ONLINE  

Cat385B

Therapy CAT

• Contributor
  • Member No: 8002
  • 11,739 Thanks
  • 8,913 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 08:27 PM

Glad to hear it's back up and running, bud! Are you getting some seat time lately? Any 3 point work? Rear blade, front blade?

#4 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 08:31 PM

Not much Scott. Hot and dry, took over 2 weeks for the grass to get shaggy enough to mow. Got a little dirt work to do, just can't get the blade on with 1 hand. Maybe in another week or so I can use it more.

#5 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 08:54 AM

I've been thinking about one of these pumps for my 216 glad to see it's a pretty straight forward installation. :thumbs:

I'm guessing these pumps are pretty close in pressure output as to what the stock kohler pump puts out? In other words there is no issues with the pump overpowering the float needle?

#6 Bmerf ONLINE  

Bmerf

Patina Farmer / Rust Collector

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9846
  • 1,708 Thanks
  • 1,445 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 10:09 AM

Nice fix, where did you get this pump? If you don't mind me asking, how much? How about that Mr Gasket 42S pump?

#7 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 12:23 PM

Piggy, it only has 2-3 psi, so should be fine.
I got my pump at my local NAPA. Checked our Auto Zone and O'Reilly's and they didn't have it or the Brand Daniel is using.
Cost was $48.99.
  • Bmerf and pigsitter have said thanks

#8 pigsitter OFFLINE  

pigsitter

enjoyin the livin part of life!

• Member No: 10704
  • 1,227 Thanks
  • 1,083 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 02:10 PM

Thanks for the info sonny,at that price it's not much more expensive than the aftermarket mechanical kohler pumps.

#9 SonnyT OFFLINE  

SonnyT

Deceased

• 116 Thanks
  • 125 posts

Posted July 29, 2012 - 03:27 PM

Thanks for the info sonny,at that price it's not much more expensive than the aftermarket mechanical kohler pumps.

And I didn't have to take it apart! Still have a hurt hand so I did it, basically with one hand!
DSC00636.JPG