• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 08, 2012 - 10:44 AM

Ok, the guy said he can get some steel. He asked me for the measurements (not counting the notches) so when he gets them he can just have them sheered to the right size.

#32 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Can't ask anybody for anything. I texted the guy what I needed and I still have the text, here is what I said.

"I need 4 pieces of 7 1/2 by 3 and 2 pieces of 2 5/8 by 3."

I got them and all 4 of the one size are either a little bigger, or smaller then 3 inch and they are all 7 inches long. One of the little off in both directions and the other little piece is 3 inch by about 2 inch. He said that it was all that was left on the piece that he sheared and I would have to make it work. To make it worse, I can see all of the chalk marks he made where he was supposed to cut them and I measured to the chalk marks an they are off, then the cuts are off of the chalk lines making it even farther off.

I asked him knowing he knew other people that would let him use a shear. Now, instead of saving myself work I have to take out the metal stretcher again.

#33 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:24 PM

That stinks Ryan, hopefully you can get some of them to work, or go to the hardware store and get steel stock.

#34 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:45 PM

That stinks Ryan, hopefully you can get some of them to work, or go to the hardware store and get steel stock.

I should be able to do it. Fortunately, he gave me the scrap cut offs also. So, I will have to weld the cut offs on and grind the welds flat, then cut them to the right size. Since I have to do this 5 times, it will triple the amount of work I have left.

In an ideal situation, I would have a long flat piece, 3 inches wide that I could cut myself to the appropriate length. But, I am going to have to work with what I have, and all I have is a bunch of steel cut to the wrong sizes! LOL!

#35 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:56 PM

Ya, if you have one piece 3 inch wide and 2 foot long you would be set... go to NAPA or somewhere like that or a hardware store. They have flat stock that is 3/8 thick by 2 1/2 or 3 inch wide, or something about like that, and it is under $30 I think, but you get a few feet of it in length. Well worth it in my opinion

#36 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 09:58 PM

Ya, if you have one piece 3 inch wide and 2 foot long you would be set... go to NAPA or somewhere like that or a hardware store. They have flat stock that is 3/8 thick by 2 1/2 or 3 inch wide, or something about like that, and it is under $30 I think, but you get a few feet of it in length. Well worth it in my opinion

Do you know if they have variations in thickness? I need 1/4 steel. I could use 3/8 if I had to, but I would need to make adjustments to any implements I used.

#37 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 14, 2012 - 10:56 PM

Oh ya, they had all different thicknesses, just each came with different widths, but if you hit NAPA and TSC or so you should be able to find something. It is definitely worth a look because you will have less time in that than stretching what you have.

#38 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 04:53 AM

Lowes & Home Depot carry steel. Just be ready for 'sticker shock'!

#39 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 15, 2012 - 09:11 AM

I just looked online at napa and TSC and they only had 3 inch wide stuff that was 1/8 thick. I dont want to have 4 pieces next to each other. I don't know if they have everything on their site or not, I will have to look.

Lowes & Home Depot carry steel. Just be ready for 'sticker shock'!

I looked at Home Depot and they had way to many listings and pages so I did not look there very much.

#40 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 08:17 PM

Ok, tomorrow morning a family friend picking me up to take me to "the shop" to get these pieces made up! He said he has everything there we could ever possibly need to fabricate any piece of metal I could ever possibly need. So, it should not be hard to cut a few pieces and put some notches into them.

Edited by Ryan313, August 18, 2012 - 08:18 PM.

#41 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 4,493 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 18, 2012 - 08:29 PM

Great to hear the good news Ryan. Take your camera.!

#42 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 12:38 PM

Great to hear, Ryan! Have a good time in there!

#43 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 19, 2012 - 10:23 PM

Harry picked me up this morning, 26 minutes early! But that is ok, I was ready anyway. We went to the shop, which turned out to be at another guy's house, Ed. We got there and looked for some steel, I needed 3 inch wide 1/4 thick stock. Of course, we could only find 2 inch wide and 4 inch wide. Then, we needed a 1 inch bit and again, Ed had a set that had 15/16 and skipped to 1 1/8. So, Ed and Harry needed some stuff from TSC anyway so we went and got the right bit, but they did not have the right steel.

Luckily, I brought the old miscut steel in case we needed it. We used that for the smaller pieces. We ended up using the 4 inch wide steel for the big pieces. All we had to do was set the slots back an extra inch and they will work perfect for me! He had a well outfitted shop and the Bridgeport mill and hacksaw hack thing handled this small job perfect. The short slots on the big pieces are just access holes and nothing slides into or out of them so we did not clean up the slot sides. The other slots are perfect and a 1 inch diameter rod will slid through them with no play in them at all.
Posted Image

Before Harry and I left, Ed said he was very impressed with me. He said at first he thought I was going to just watch most of the time, but by the end he knew he could have left me alone in the shop and I would have been fine, despite never using that type of machinery before. He said I learned very fast, and was capable of using the equipment.

The first hole with the Bridgeport he set up, but after that I admit, I did kinda push my way in, I am not one to watch. LOL! And after I pushed my way in he saw I already learned what levers did what and what cranks moved the table which way. So after helping me set up that hole he drilled it. Then, I set up and drilled the next few while him and Harry were doing something else on the other side of the shop. The same thing happened with the big hacksaw, I watched once and they let me play with it after that. So, it sounds as though I have another venue and some more "stuff" to play with if I need it!

#44 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 01:21 PM

I got the rear blocks all welded together!
Posted Image

I put them on and put the snow plow into the blocks, they fit and the plow is secure. Since the front mounts are not on I could not lift it or anything.
Posted Image

They sit in the blocks nicely!
Posted Image

When I welded them, both of the blocks shifted outward and now the plow can shift to either side about a half inch. I need to cut some pipe to make a couple spacers to keep the plow centered.
Posted Image

#45 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,482 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 02:26 PM

Looking good Ryan! Glad you got them going your way. Just don't make it too snug of a fit, needs a little wiggle room to attach/detach.