• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 04:19 PM

You're doing great, Ryan! I make more booboo's by thinking too far ahead!

I wasn't so much thinking ahead, I just confused myself! LOL! I measured where the hole would go, but instead of marking the steel on the inside, I marked the outside. That made the hole off by the thickness of the material. Then I noticed it would sit in the drill press like that, so I just drew a line up the back, and around the edge to the inside of the piece. So, it was still off by the thickness of the material, and that is where I put the hole.

#17 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Been There! Done That!

#18 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 08:35 PM

A little while ago, I couldn't help myself, and I went and started to drill holes in the other side.

Somehow, I messed up again. It was the same hole as the other side! before I drilled the hole to far one way, then I drilled this one to far the other way! all of the other holes should be alright though. This side has the steering bolts that will go through it, so it has two more holes in it then the other side.
Posted Image

These three bolts are for the bracket that mounts the steering box. They have little flat pieces on them to keep the frame from pulling in and the bolts working loose. Since the two outside bolts will go through the angle iron, I will not need the one flat piece. Wow, my frame is oily!
Posted Image

EDIT: I just came back from getting all of the bolts I will need. I also looked for a 7/16 bit that will work in my 1/4 chuck drill press... 14 bucks! No thanks! I can use a big hand-held drill with one of the bits I already have!

Edited by Ryan313, July 27, 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#19 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 10:48 AM

I give up. Restarting.

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 10:58 AM

What the problem, Ryan? A couple miss drilled holes shouldn't make you have to start all over. What's going on?

#21 Alc ONLINE  

Alc

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1094
  • 5,451 Thanks
  • 6,618 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 12:51 PM

Ryan I have a set of these transfer punch sets . Don't used that often but do come in handy at times . Use them when you have a hole and are marking a piece underneath . Just make a small mark then use a center punch to make a bigger spot to drill on .Al
http://www.harborfre...8b-001b2166c62d

#22 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 02:33 PM

Kenny, I did more then mess up a few holes, I messed up every hole! I dont have to resart, just go back and weld in my holes and make them flat. Then redrill them again.

Al, that is just what i need! I don't think I have ever had a hole line up properly. I am going TSC later to get a few things for the 195, I will pop over to HF and get a set of those.
  • KennyP said thank you

#23 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 02:53 PM

Those punches should help a lot. Good luck!

#24 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 05:05 PM

I welded the holes and ground them flat. Sorry, no pics until the internet comes back on.

#25 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 28, 2012 - 08:03 PM

Now that the internet is back on, here is the picture after I welded the holes and grinded them down again. I did not fill in the depression for the weld on the frame, that should be in the right spot.
Posted Image

I have way more time into this already then it shows for!

Also, didn't make it out to TSC or HF tonight.

#26 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 30, 2012 - 11:49 AM

I thought I posted last night that I got punches, I guess I didn't hit the "post" button. Here is the pic that I didn't post, I also got a battery and hydraulic hose for the 195.
Posted Image

I drilled all of the holes I need right now this morning! The little dimple on the end of the punch is long enough that the fat part of the punch would not catch on the frame hole. So I put some spacers between the frame and angle iron then clamped, and marked it.
Posted Image

This is the right side. It only has two horizontal bolts and a vertical bolt that hold it on.
Posted Image

The other side has those same bolts, plus two more vertical bolts. The two bigger vertical bolts are for the steering box bracket. I had to take off the steering box because it was in the way and it would not let me use the transfer punches.
Posted Image

I can already tell that these transfer punches will be used a lot! As I was using them I was thinking, "For such a useful tool, why does nobody ever mention them?" I couldn't think of a reason!

#27 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:31 AM

The factory hitch blocks use a singe piece of 1/4 plate for each of the front mounts and two side by side pieces of 1/4 plate for each rear mount. I was going to use 3-8 as it is all I have. The attachments would need a little adjustment and some parts flipped around. But, before I go cutting up the plate I have, I let somebody know what I was looking for and he said he can probably find something. The only thing left is to make the blocks and weld them to my brackets. I am going to wait until I come back from my trip to do anything else. And hopefully that will give him time to find some steel.

#28 wvbuzzmaster OFFLINE  

wvbuzzmaster

Squeaky Wheel

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 1792
  • 4,492 Thanks
  • 7,341 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 07:23 PM

Ryan, glad to hear you are finally making positive progress, keep it up.

#29 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,443 Thanks
  • 39,678 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 05:44 AM

I'm glad the punches are working well for you. Have a great time and I hope the needed metal is available when you get back.

#30 MH81 ONLINE  

MH81

Proud to be Deplorable

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 802
  • 27,281 Thanks
  • 28,616 posts

Posted August 03, 2012 - 06:24 AM

I want you to know you're in great company. We've all made those mistakes... Some of us would probably have said they were close enough :blush2:

Just remember the old adage; Measure Twice, cut-weld-recut-drill-weld-redrill once.