• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 7087
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:13 PM

In '74 Economy changed the front attachment points. I have many attachments for the '75, and none for the '71. Economy offered adapters so you could use the later attachments on the early tractors, and when you find a set of original ones they are pricey! (I think Jerry Frank reproduces them, I have never confirmed it for myself) I want to use attachments from the '75 on the '71, and instead of buying adapters, I can just make my own set.

Here is an original set that belongs to ariensman2.
Posted Image

Posted Image

For the front blocks, I was going to bend some mower blades to go around the squares, those are for the older attachments. Originally, they used C channel for this. I got thinking and came up with a method easier then bending blades. I cut some angle iron and will weld the ends together to make the U shape. I had some steel that was the perfect height, but overlap on the bottom. I will just have to trim one edge down, weld, and grind flat.
Posted Image

For the rear mounting blocks I am going to weld the blocks to some angle iron that will then bolt to the frame. I measured how long the pieces had to be, and cut the first one. I went to do a test fit and I cut it at 9 inches and it needed to be 11 inches! :wallbanging: I cut the other side at the correct length after making the mistake once. When I measured the first side, my mind was of in another world and I had a lapse in concentration. I don't have another piece of angle that is that thickness and that size which is also long enough. So, I will have to weld it back together, grind it flat and recut it. :wallbanging:

The red one is the side I messed up, the tan was cut to the correct length.
Posted Image

It rained this morning, so it is incredibly humid out again. After doing that I had enough of the muggy heat and came in. I might go back out later if the weather changes. If not, I will continue tomorrow.

Edited by Ryan313, July 26, 2012 - 12:22 PM.

#2 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:48 PM

Measure once, cut twice! Dang, it's still too short! Time for the metal stretchers!

#3 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:52 PM

Mearure once, cut twice! Dang, it's still too short! Time for the metal stretchers!

I have heard good things about the metal streachers at HF, now I need to find a coupon! :laughingteeth:

#4 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 01:32 PM

That's the fun part! Not too many coupons for metal stretchers out there!

Knowing you, you'll go in the HF store and ask where the metal stretcher is, just to see their dumb look!

#5 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 01:47 PM

Knowing you, you'll go in the HF store and ask where the metal stretcher is, just to see their dumb look!

:bigrofl: :bigrofl: :bigrofl:

#6 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 03:11 PM

I think they keep them in the back along with the Sky Hooks and the left handed adjustable wrenches!

Ryan, you have impressive fabrication and problem solving skills! :thumbs:

#7 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 03:55 PM

Ryan, all kidding aside, I have to agree with Brian. You do great work. Just slow yourself down a notch and you won't need those metal stretchers! Sometimes, I spend more time thinking than fabricating!

#8 dogsoldier OFFLINE  

dogsoldier
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 9589
  • 316 Thanks
  • 490 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 04:18 PM

I think they keep them in the back along with the Sky Hooks and the left handed adjustable wrenches!

Ryan, you have impressive fabrication and problem solving skills! :thumbs:

actually they keep it between the turn signal fluid and the radiator caps for the 76 super beetles

good thinking on saving some $$$$$$

#9 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 04:48 PM

Thanks guys! I actually do spend more time thinking then fabricating. This was just one of those stupid things that I didn't think about.

#10 olcowhand OFFLINE  

olcowhand

Red Tractor Nut & Diesel Addict

• Staff Admin
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Sponsor
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 20
  • 35,650 Thanks
  • 29,840 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 05:04 PM

Thanks guys! I actually do spend more time thinking then fabricating. This was just one of those stupid things that I didn't think about.

Ryan, we ALL have those moments. I still have them too often at 54yrs old, and I'm not likely to stop having them either.

#11 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 05:19 PM

Ryan, it's not a stupid moment! It happens to all of us! I will do it almost every time I get in a hurry and am thinking 'ahead' of what I am doing. My worst problem is having the tape upside down. It may measure 29~", but my mind will store 26~". Then it's time to write down every measurement and double check that I wrote it down right. It gets worse when you are my age, then CRS and CRAFT kick in. I try to allow myself one good booboo per project. If I get two, time to sit down and get the brain back into what I was doing and not on what's next.
  • JDBrian said thank you

#12 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:11 PM

I did a little bit more. The first thing I did, was "fix" my mistake from yesterday and get it recut to the proper length.

Then cut off the edges of the overlapping angle iron. They had to have 3/8" cut off and they fit around the squares. I welded them together and ground them flat.
Posted Image

Then, I noticed the welds on the squares were stopping my adapters from going all the way up, so I had to grind off the edges so it could fit around the welds.
Posted Image

They are not perfectly straight, but they will work and hold just fine! Here they are for a test fit.
Posted Image

I will probably end up going back out some time today to drill some holes.

#13 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 01:14 PM

Looking good, Ryan! Nice save!

#14 Ryan313 OFFLINE  

Ryan313

PK Fanatic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 3,239 Thanks
  • 5,159 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 04:06 PM

I hate drilling holes. :mad2: But I got a few drilled.

I got the holes in the front adapters, and in the squares. The eye-bolt is not what I an going to use, That is just what I found first to take a pic.
Posted Image

This is for the right side rear adapter. The two round holes have to bigger, those are just pilot holes. I have to drill them out by hand, my drill press has a small chuck and I dont have a stepped bit that size to fit in it. I had to grind a notch in it to go over another weld.The oblong hole was another mistake. After that, I remembered what Kenny said "I try to allow myself one good booboo per project. If I get two, time to sit down and get the brain back into what I was doing and not on what's next." So I decided to stop there.
Posted Image

This is where that piece goes. The oblong hole is for the bolt that goes vertical through the frame. A washer on the other side and it should be fine.
Posted Image
  • KennyP said thank you

#15 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 27, 2012 - 04:15 PM

You're doing great, Ryan! I make more booboo's by thinking too far ahead!

What size is your chuck in the drill press? 3/8"?