caseguy

Connoisseur of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 906
  • 1,624 Thanks
  • 5,600 posts

Posted August 02, 2012 - 09:35 PM

Thank you for all the pics and the back story! That's a unique tractor and to have 2 of them is surely a blessing! As with any GT, the value is whatever the market will bear or the buyer is willing to spend. Hopefully, if you decide to sell it you'll find that guy that "has to have it"!

#17 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10613
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 21, 2012 - 08:46 PM

Parts are on there way to get the engine running. I'll post more pictures of the engine soon and a video of it running, hopefully. I got the engine cleaned up and ready for it rebirth.

#18 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 23, 2012 - 09:28 PM

These are updated photos of the engine I'm working on getting running. I got all the gaskets today, I should have everything I need to get it in running condition. Not sure if I'll get the engine turning tomorrow but I'll be closer. I'll be sure to get a video of it running and post the link. Once the engine is good, I'll start on the body.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02359.JPG
  • DSC02362.JPG
  • DSC02364.JPG
  • DSC02370.JPG

#19 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 24, 2012 - 05:18 PM

This is the engine today. I had to disassemble and clean the recoil pull which was a real trip, one wrong move and boing you gotta coil in the eye. But it all got together and it pulls super smooth now. Got all the gaskets installed and really everything is set I just need to wire a couple things and find out what to torque the head bolts down to and I should be able to fire it up very soon. Oh, that isn't going to be the finished gas tank that is only a temp. the original has some rust issues I need to deal with, I may need to fabricate a new one, not sure yet. If anyone here has any ideas on what the head bolts should torqued to or the torque pattern that could be most helpful. Thanks. I hope my posts are of interest.

Attached Thumbnails

• DSC02376.JPG
  • DSC02377.JPG
  • DSC02378.JPG
  • DSC02382.JPG

#20 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted August 26, 2012 - 06:25 AM

Engine looks good! I searched around and found the head bolts should torque to 165 in. lbs. Couldn't find the sequence though.

EDIT: I found this, I hope it helps:
B&S Cyl head.jpg

Edited by KennyP, August 26, 2012 - 07:28 AM.
Added pic

#21 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:01 PM

Thanks Kenny, The sequence is in the illustration though so go find on both accounts. I really appreciate it. I had an unfortunet situation though, nothing with the engine or the tractor but my glasses broke on me yesterday and I can't see more then two feet in front of my face. So, I gotta get those replaced before I can do anymore. I tried a little bit but I started getting a headache.

I did however get the head torqued down and tried starting it but the carburetor was leaking fuel at the 'carburetor body gasket' as it's called in the diagram. I saw there were some minor cuts or marks so I tried to get them out and a bit and reassembled it and it still linked but a lot less so I think I need to do it again, but it was about this time I started getting a headache do to me glasses situation so that about were I'm at right now.

Another question for anyone who might know. The breaker has a wire coming off of it that is black. In all the pictures I took I didn't apparently take a good picture of how that was set up both tractors had a slightly different set up from what I recall. If I remember correctly the wire from the breaker served as an engine shut off. It connected to a switch on the dash then it was run to an anchor screw on the carb which was its ground. So basically, the button ungrounded the breaker, If my interpretation is correct.

#22 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 27, 2012 - 06:15 PM

Ooops, I meant to post some pictures to help with the explination. One engine is green and one is silver. The silver engine is the one I was able to rebuild.
The green engine seemed to have a wire from the breaker to a a grounded location and it had a button on the dash that had two wires that also ran to the carb, this I believe was a button that essentially ungrounded the engine and shut it off. The silver engine had a wire from the breaker to a dash switch that was then attached to a grounded location which accomplished the same thing. That is essentially how I remember it, but I see in the one photo there is a wire running up to the ignition coil.

Attached Thumbnails

• 2012-07-18-15-59-32-DSC02188.JPG
  • 2012-07-19-13-07-52-DSC02215.JPG
  • 2012-07-23-09-31-04-DSC02286.JPG
  • 2012-07-23-09-31-38-DSC02289.JPG

#23 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 12:09 AM

Well, couldnt wait for my specs to get fixed so I got some tape and rigged up something so I can see, in anycase I was able to work on the engine today. I wasn't able to get it to start. But, when I get stuck like that it usually works best to let it be and work things through in my head and I have zeroed in on a cause, so tomorrow I will give it a go again. As soon As I get it going, I'll make a video and post it. I'm looking forward to getting this engine running. I suspect it hasn't ran in decades, at least, and I would love to give it a second life.

#24 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted August 29, 2012 - 04:45 AM

Best of luck on the 'fix'! Hope you get some new glasses before long.

#25 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted August 31, 2012 - 06:25 PM

Well, I've been working on the engine but I cant seem to get the gas to go into the engine. I'm not sure what might be the issue, anyone have any sugestions or ideas? The spark plug works and the ingition coil is working. The gas is running to the carb fine. The gas does get in the air intake. Head scratcher. I'm wondering if it is a compression issue.

#26 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted September 04, 2012 - 10:53 PM

Well, for those interested, I got the Briggs engine off the Bready, fired up and it sounds pretty good. It turned out to be a very simple small issue with the way the wires are set on the points and I had to adjust the timing. I that I had lined up the timing marks but what I thought was a mark wasn't the mark I needed to line up. I ended up replacing the Condenser too. Long story short, it has been brought back from the rusty grave and soon the body will be rebuilt too and I'll be taking a victory lap. But in the meantime here is a video of the motor running.

http://www.facebook....&type=2
  • KennyP said thank you

#27 KennyP ONLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • 28,421 Thanks
  • 39,670 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the video. Sounds good! I see you have a 4 legged helper. We used to have one, brought back some memories. Thank you for those too.

#28 mjodrey OFFLINE  

mjodrey

Accumulator

• Contributor
  • Member No: 92
  • 2,343 Thanks
  • 13,481 posts

Posted September 05, 2012 - 04:52 AM

Thanks for the video.

#29 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 06, 2012 - 07:29 PM

Anyone interested can catch up on the photos of the Bready restoration here:

https://www.icloud.c...01-B6284E462AE3
  • Alc said thank you

#30 Gfann OFFLINE  

Gfann
  • Contributor
  • 193 Thanks
  • 226 posts

Posted October 18, 2012 - 10:09 PM

I posted all my bready pictures on my flickr account that anyone who wants to can comment on the pictures. I have also added some more photos of my progress, and I am possible going to be buying a speedex S19 for next summers project. Cant wait...

http://www.flickr.co...s/79889063@N07/

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: bready