Since there isn't an "Electrical" section, I'll post this up here. So last week I was mowing with my Kubota, had been going for a couple of hours when I decided to take a drink brake. Jumped back on the mower and hit the ign switch and the engine turned over maybe one time and then nothing... not even enough juice to light up the oil pressure gauge. So I jumped the tractor off of my truck and finished mowing. I tried starting again after I finished and it was shot. Battery was junk so I searched high and low and finally settled on a small car battery (there's not much in the way of SCUT batteries out there) 540cca... so that should do the trick. During the upgrade I also inspected the wires and the pos wire was junk (see pic's). To start the wires must be original since they have "1978" printed on them (that's older than I am!!). To boot they are only about 8ga wire. Since I work for an automotive wiring company I have access to some pretty good stuff and decided to upgrade them to what is roughly equal to 4 guage with new battery terminals and a little better routing/protection for the wire. I would like to add a higher output alternator at some point so that I can run extra lighting so these upgrades will not be for nothing. I will update when I get around to that.
As you can see in the pic's the pos wire had a hole in the insulation near the terminal. I neglected to check how much voltage drop I had at the end of ther battery cables to compare to the new ones but I'm sure there was quite a bit based on what the inside looked like!
Electrical System Upgrades
1 reply to this topic