UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 04:49 AM

Wife woke me up at 530 am to tell me that there was a nearly dead raccoon in the dog pen. Since the dog pen and the chicken pen share a wall I guess it was after the chicks. Nothing like gunfire in the morning.

Yes the dogs are up to date on all their shots. I just wish I had seen the fight. I am sure the big dog (Diesel - Great Pyrenees/ German Shepard mix -all coward) was hiding in the dog house while Carmel (Boxer/Bloodhound) was doing all the heavy lifting. When Steph went out to see what the ruckus was all about and went in the chicken pen Carmel stood over the nearly dead coon and growled.

#2 JDBrian OFFLINE  

JDBrian

Super Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2507
  • 9,574 Thanks
  • 14,136 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 04:58 AM

Sounds like a pretty dumb coon to jump in a pen with 2 dogs. No chicken or eggs for him!

#3 KennyP OFFLINE  

KennyP

FORDoholic

• Super Moderator
  • Staff
  • -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 2253
  • 28,483 Thanks
  • 39,716 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:05 AM

Don't have to worry about that one coming back!

#4 Amigatec OFFLINE  

Amigatec

Collector of Rusty Junk

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 5899
  • 2,023 Thanks
  • 3,172 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 06:08 AM

I had something kill 6 of my chickens last year, I never did find out what it was.

#5 JD DANNELS OFFLINE  

JD DANNELS

Tractorholic

• Member No: 2011
  • 3,786 Thanks
  • 3,907 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 08:09 AM

That is the way to take care of those Coons. I would not underestimate That Diesel, thousands of years of breeding to protect livestock can not be denied. And the Great Pyr is the only breed I know of that is known to fight Bears and win.

Speaking of cowards I had a Scottish Terrier that was all coward, but when it came to varmints she thought she was 10 ft tall and bulletproof.

#6 Cvans ONLINE  

Cvans

Tractorholic

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Member No: 5412
  • 4,516 Thanks
  • 5,033 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 08:37 AM

I have to agree with JD. How a dog acts around people and how it acts without their influence is two completely different things. You could be completely right but it wouldn't surprise me if Diesel would come through when needed.

#7 daytime dave OFFLINE  

daytime dave

Live long and prosper

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 531
  • 4,485 Thanks
  • 6,353 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 09:33 AM

Glad the dogs came out the victors.

#8 HDWildBill OFFLINE  

HDWildBill

Freedom is not Free. Thank those in uniform for your freedom.

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 6354
  • 8,710 Thanks
  • 8,563 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 09:33 AM

I bet that coon realized real quick that it had made a mistake. Chris is right, we have 3 dog's one of them being a Shepard mixed (female the other 2 are males) around me and the wife she is very docile and a big baby but when we watch her out the window in the back yard there is no doubt who the alpha female is. Hmmm sounds like being married. :rolleyes:
  • JDBrian said thank you

#9 ducky ONLINE  

ducky

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 564
  • 1,630 Thanks
  • 3,870 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 11:09 AM

Glad the dogs won. I got 7 of them so far this year in my Sweet corn here an 3 more over at my brothers place. They were tearing it up bad so I had to set out poison to save any corn.

#10 UncleWillie ONLINE  

UncleWillie

wabbit wangler

• -GTt Supporter-
  • Contributor
  • Member No: 10399
  • 12,763 Thanks
  • 7,703 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:01 PM

That is the way to take care of those Coons. I would not underestimate That Diesel, thousands of years of breeding to protect livestock can not be denied. And the Great Pyr is the only breed I know of that is known to fight Bears and win.

Speaking of cowards I had a Scottish Terrier that was all coward, but when it came to varmints she thought she was 10 ft tall and bulletproof.

Wife said only Carmel was barking and when she went out Diesel was cowering in the doghouse. I am fine with that though because her momma was a full blooded Great Pyr who decided that the neighbors dog was an intruder. I finally had to give her away to the Pyr rescue who gave her to a large farm in the Winston Salem area. Diesels dad was a stray so I don't know much about his temperament. Diesel did kill a chicken about two months ago and got a serious beating for it. It was his second offense. I believe he has learned his lesson. Carmel wont try to go in the chicken pen anymore, she was a co-conspirator on the first chicken killing. Now she just likes to wait till all the chickens huddle next to the shared panel of the pens then run over and scare them so they fly all around. She thinks it is funny.

Only reason I can figure the coon came in the dog pen is that the top of one half of the chicken pen has fencing over it and the top of the other half has an old trampoline canvas over most of it. He was trying to find another way in. Guess he found one that didn't work out so well.

Oh, wife was cleaning out the pen a while back and picked up the nesting box, Under it was a mouse nest and about 12 pinkies. Chickens ate the baby mice. Guess it was good protein.

Edited by mybigwarwagon, July 26, 2012 - 12:35 PM.

#11 Kyocum OFFLINE  

Kyocum

• Member No: 6171
  • 280 Thanks
  • 403 posts

Posted July 26, 2012 - 12:05 PM

A wood chuck got in the dog yard this spring and met his maker in a very short time. 3 boxers in the yard = no chance for survival.